Vis time nex yeeeh we'w be miwwwyonaaaaaires

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello OTF, long time no speak. I hope you're well. I've been meaning to call. How's the family? Good good.
    Anyway.

I was in Peckham yesterday, on the bus, from Peckham Rye going up towards Old Kent Road, somewhere along the route (Peckham Hill Street I believe), just off Peckham High St, there was a great long poster with a whole series of faces on it. Below each one was a quote from that person, not celebrities, but people known in Peckham for various reasons. I didn't catch what this was all about, something about inspiring Peckham, I don't know, but Google isn't giving me much help here.

On the off chance that OTFers are familiar with this, would someone care to share any links regarding it, ideally even a link to some of the pics and quotes. It looked intriguing. It's hard to read small print from a moving bus, harder still when you're already on the lookout for Nelson Mandela House.

Nelson Mandela House (real name Whitemead House) is on the estate just behind Ashton Gate, off Duckmoor Road.

Comment

You know what, I could never get the phonetic spelling thing for Londoners where V replaces TH. I can see that it works at the end of a word, 'wiv' instead of 'with', but I've never picked up a V sound at the start of a word beginning 'TH'. Smash Hits used to do it, using 'Ver' instead of 'The' for band names, and I couldn't understand it then.

Comment

Probably because most words beginning with it use the harder 'th' pronunciation - 'think', 'thanks', etc. 'The' is one of the few that employs a similar sound to the softer 'th' of 'with'.

Or something.

Comment

This thread reminds me of that gag men's advice column that sort of goes:

Dear Richard,

The other Saturday morning I left my husband home to go out and do some shopping. About a mile from home, my car stalled at a stop sign and I got nervous about driving it. I got it restarted and went straight back home. When I walked into the house, I found my husband, fully dressed in my clothing, standing in front of a mirror. He was mortified. I was shocked. We've been together for over 30 years and I'd never suspected a thing. I love him dearly and don't want to deny him his sexuality, and he says he still loves me, but I don't know where we go from here. What do you think?

Barbara

Dear Barbara,

Sometimes stalling can be caused by moisture in the fuel tank, especially in the morning in colder climates. See your mechanic for a fuel flush and mild tune-up.

Richard

Comment

Very kind of y'all to save this from being a nil-thread, but anyone have the answer to original question?

Comment

Ibn, I live in Peckham, but the south side of Peckham High Street, and don't often head towards the Old Kent Road. Next time I'm going to the library or Peckham Pulse, I'll take a minor detour to have a look. I'll try and remember to take a photo.

Comment

Ibn, took a detour past this on my cycle into work this morning.

It's to do with this.

It's something we all want. It's something we can all achieve.

4 The Record Initiative (4TRi) was set up to address issues of cultural diversity and youth enlightenment through innovative, creative partnerships and interventions.?

The project aims to engage as many people as possible by honouring the talent and accomplishments of individuals who have played a part in promoting cultural diversity and highlighting issues that affect young adults in the United Kingdom.

Our exhibition UNDEREXPOSED raises the profile of black role models and celebrates the talent that exists among the Black British community. In the first in a series of exhibitions, UNDEREXPOSED 2008 focused on actors.

These actors are not only exemplary role models, but also play a vital part in promoting cultural diversity in the UK.
                Basically, it's a collection of black British actors promoting cultural diversity and the role played by black people in Britain.

Weird thing is that it's been there since 2008 but I've never noticed it before.

Comment

Nice one, thanks.

[Edit]
                  I don't know if you'll go past again, but i vaguely remember under one of the pictures the quote (from a female) was something about trying to keep from going mad and staying sane. If you get a chance can you see who said that.

Comment

Just down the road from this but never seen it, interesting stuff. Thanks for clearing that up meregreen. Dating from 2008 so how long has it been up there for?

Comment

If you jiggle this Google Maps link about you might see something, the faces are are blurred out, but the names remain. The quotes aren't quite comprehensible either but you might be able to work it out.

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=Peckham+Hill+St,+Peckham,+London+Borough+of +Southwark,+London+SE15,+United+Kingdom&hl=en&ll=5 1.474601,-0.06889&spn=0.003896,0.010546&safe=off&geocode=FUl 6EQMdse7-_w&hnear=Peckham+Hill+St&t=h&z=17&layer=c&cbll=51. 474699,-0.06892&panoid=W7mG0KRJc2B-FTVDlJGDEw&cbp=12,244.45,,0,9.29

Comment

Smash Hits used to do it, using 'Ver' instead of 'The' for band names, and I couldn't understand it then.
                        I never took it to be a take-off of a London thing. I just took it to be, well, a Smash Hits thing

Probably because most words beginning with it use the harder 'th' pronunciation - 'think', 'thanks', etc. 'The' is one of the few that employs a similar sound to the softer 'th' of 'with'.
                        That's more of a "fink" or "fanks" than anything else, isn't it?

Comment

What about in Kerrang! Bored?

Comment

Just because we are feeling generous towards the Jacks and you have gadding around with my brother doesn't mean you can take the piss out of Kerrang!, butt.

Fair dues for using the exclamation mark though

Comment

Cheers fella, learnt the exclamation mark of you!

Having only seen a handful of copies of Kerrang! I had no idea what I was posting but it beats essay writing I can tell you.

It would have been tidy nice if you could have been at the Swansea game, three 1927 members was okay but I would have loved to have inflicted it on more. Your brother secretly loved every moment of it.

Comment

Working...
                              X