Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mundane Thread II

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    One thing's for certain, GO. Getting old sucks. My doc wants me to do one of those cardiac stress tests and I'm afraid I might keel over while I'm doing it.

    All the best to your brother and to you! x

    Comment


      I've been waiting over a month for the results of a 24 hour cardiogram.

      The stress of waiting has really helped with the palpitations, let me tell you.

      Comment


        The police have been walking up and down the street for hours, photographing cars, speaking to lots of neighbours, but ominously they've not knocked on my door.

        Should I go down to the cellar, or out over the back fence?

        Comment


          Originally posted by Toby Gymshorts View Post
          I've been waiting over a month for the results of a 24 hour cardiogram.

          The stress of waiting has really helped with the palpitations, let me tell you.
          Holter monitor, then. Named for Dr Jeff Holter

          Comment


            Originally posted by Femme Folle View Post
            One thing's for certain, GO. Getting old sucks. My doc wants me to do one of those cardiac stress tests and I'm afraid I might keel over while I'm doing it.

            All the best to your brother and to you! x
            I've done the stress test. It's fine. Unless there's something wrong, in which case you need to know asap. Just do it.

            It's basically just a bit of moderate exercise with stuff stuck to you and some people chatting. Then you get to see an echo of your heart.

            Comment


              Originally posted by Gangster Octopus View Post
              Don't think that it's going to be an issue. Our mother was born with a hole in her heart, and had one of the early operations to cure it. None of us has ever really had any actual heart problems, as far as I know. Then again, we're all getting on a bit now...
              Is it a patent foramen ovale??

              I've written a fair bit about that. In a fetus, the PFO allows the blood to just go from one side of the heart to the other because the lungs don't do anything yet. In some people, those never fully close and, believe it or not, it's not a problem. But in some people, emboli, which would normally get cleared out in the lungs, just skip through and go to the brain which can cause strokes or TMI. After years of trying, they finally showed that minimally invasive devices to cover the PFO can actually reduce the risk of another stroke in people who have had them and have that hole. But it's not something you need to get fixed if you haven't had a problem.

              Comment


                Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post
                Holter monitor, then. Named for Dr Jeff Holter

                Dr Holter seen here heading for a fancy dress party dressed as a prototype Peter Venkman.

                Comment


                  Originally posted by Toby Gymshorts View Post
                  Dr Holter seen here heading for a fancy dress party dressed as a prototype Peter Venkman.
                  That was my thought too!

                  Comment


                    Heh. If your mind works like mine then you should probably worry.

                    In other news, a terribly generous parcel arrived today. Sometimes people can make you smile after all.

                    Comment


                      Holding three butternut squash (and a recipe) I approached a member of supermarket staff.

                      "Do you have a weighing scale?"

                      "Why?"

                      "I want to know how much these weigh"

                      "Does it not say on them?"

                      Comment


                        Those of you who think getting old sucks can at least content yourselves with the fact that you'll be getting old during a period of time where antibiotics will still work. I've read two articles today explaining that by the time I'm in my late 60s they might very well not do, and it's really made me hope I catch any serious diseases life is going to give me within the next decade or so, to get them out the way.

                        Comment


                          Back to the sawbones pouring hot pitch where your leg used to be, then.

                          Comment


                            Can't reply properly, injecting self with HIV.

                            Comment


                              If we can’t get round this by modifying the fungus or whatever, things will be unimaginable. Most people alive in the West haven’t really known a time of infections wards, people rotting away in pussy bloody agony with no remedy. Dying from a paper cut getting infected. Almost all surgery carrying a devastating risk of untreatable sepsis.

                              Comment


                                The mundane thread do get dark at times...

                                Comment


                                  There was me, radiating positivity.

                                  I'm grumpy again now.

                                  Comment


                                    Originally posted by Sam View Post
                                    Those of you who think getting old sucks can at least content yourselves with the fact that you'll be getting old during a period of time where antibiotics will still work. I've read two articles today explaining that by the time I'm in my late 60s they might very well not do, and it's really made me hope I catch any serious diseases life is going to give me within the next decade or so, to get them out the way.

                                    Comment


                                      Originally posted by Lang Spoon View Post
                                      If we can’t get round this by modifying the fungus or whatever, things will be unimaginable. Most people alive in the West haven’t really known a time of infections wards, people rotting away in pussy bloody agony with no remedy. Dying from a paper cut getting infected. Almost all surgery carrying a devastating risk of untreatable sepsis.
                                      Exactly. Principally: animal farmers really need to stop putting antibiotics into the fucking food supply (which for the peace of mind of a significant number of OTFers I should mention is already illegal in the EU, and one would think is a regulation the UK won't be dropping when it exits).

                                      Apparently the UK is basically leading the world in trying to get doctors to stop prescribing antibiotics unless absolutely necessary, too. I've not seen a doctor (unless you count my girlfriend's aunt) since I moved to Argentina, so I'll be fine. (*cough*)

                                      Comment


                                        I haven't taken any antibiotics since I had an infected tooth a couple of years ago. I only buy locally-sourced meat that has been raised antibiotic-free.

                                        I'm suffering from flu vaccine induced flu-like feelings tonight. I had my eye exam at noon and stopped off to get the jab after that. Good times.

                                        Comment


                                          My daughter has gone on what is inarguably her first date. To the movies. With a boy.

                                          Sigh...

                                          Comment


                                            What are they going to see?

                                            Comment


                                              In the middle of the day? First dates have changed since I were a lass.

                                              Comment


                                                I really don't like the smell of Bold lavender and camomile, which is unfortunate, as I've bought a big bottle.

                                                For my clothes, I've been using just a touch of Bold with a small dollop of shampoo, which makes them smell bearable. I've just watched two bathtowels in Bold and they're clean but the smell is overpowering. Could be worse, I suppose.
                                                Last edited by MsD; 14-10-2017, 18:39.

                                                Comment


                                                  I'd like to go and see Bladerunner with a boy I like :-) Or man, I should say, as he's in his fifties.

                                                  Comment


                                                    It's almost three hours long so you want to be sure before you make the commitment.

                                                    Comment

                                                    Working...
                                                    X