Mundane Thread II

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mundane Thread II

"little soldier" could quite easily refer to something other than their offspring...

Comment

Mundane Thread II

Just fixed the central heating. Now at home with a crisp butty.

Comment

Mundane Thread II

What flavour?

Comment

Mundane Thread II

Cheese and onion. Salad cream. Thick sliced white bread.

Comment

Mundane Thread II

EIM wrote: Cheese and onion. Salad cream. Thick sliced white bread.
            With butter or margarine? If not, it wasn't a proper crisp butty.

Comment

Mundane Thread II

I've just had some soup. What I really want now is a crisp butty.

Comment

Mundane Thread II

Had marg on it. The butter was in the fridge therefore unspreadable.

Comment

Mundane Thread II

treibeis wrote: Can the parents look through the window to see what's going on at these dances? Or do you just all hang around outside...
                  No, it's a completely windowless auditorium. From the outside, you heard dull *thub thub thub thub* as the doors rattle on their hinges. Pay-duty cops keep adults away from the place. At 10:01, the doors open and one of those mad 'last day of school' exit scenarios plays out.

Meanwhile, everyone outside sips their Tim Hortons and taps on their phone, punctuated by 'how are yas?' with vague acquaintances and neighbours.

Comment

Mundane Thread II

WOM wrote: At 10:01, the doors open and one of those mad 'last day of school' exit scenarios plays out.
                    What, they start scratching their teachers' cars and setting fire to stuff?

Comment

Mundane Thread II

treibeis wrote:
                      Originally posted by WOM
                      At 10:01, the doors open and one of those mad 'last day of school' exit scenarios plays out.
                      What, they start scratching their teachers' cars and setting fire to stuff?
                      No, more The Simpsons and less Fast Times At Ridgemont High.

Comment

Mundane Thread II

Are school dances actually called 'school dances', WOM, or are you considerately translating it into oldspeak for us?

I still haven't got over school leavers discos becoming proms over here sometime between my time and that of my second brother down.

Comment

Mundane Thread II

Hmm. I don't think I said "school dances". This was at a community recreation centre and put on by the town. Specifically pre-teen (Grades 5-8). My daughter's considered opinion was that Grade 5 was too young as they "mostly stood around looking scared".

Some "short kid" asked her to dance. I said "That's great. You can rest your drink on his head." to which she replied "I didn't buy a drink."

Er...yeah...

Comment

Mundane Thread II

Benjm wrote: I still haven't got over school leavers discos becoming proms over here sometime between my time and that of my second brother down.
                            I'm not that old, but I can't remember any sort of school-leaving dance/disco/prom at all.

We spent the last six months of school fantasising about beating up certain teachers - "No, right, on the last day, I'm going to go up to

Comment

Mundane Thread II

And then they fled the country for Germany.

Comment

Mundane Thread II

WOM wrote: Hmm. I don't think I said "school dances".
                                You didn't, it's true. I went out three nights in a row at the weekend and it has clearly left my mental faculties in tatters.

Comment

Mundane Thread II

But look, if it's retronyms you're after, I have a few groovy ones I can hep you up with to make you feel more 'with it' amongst your contemporaries.

Comment

Mundane Thread II

treibeis wrote:
                                    Originally posted by Benjm
                                    I still haven't got over school leavers discos becoming proms over here sometime between my time and that of my second brother down.
                                    I'm not that old, but I can't remember any sort of school-leaving dance/disco/prom at all.
                                    It was in the function room at the back of yours and Bored's local.

Quite a big event. Free finger buffet.

Didn't anyone, aah...tell you?

Comment

Mundane Thread II

WOM wrote: But look, if it's retronyms you're after, I have a few groovy ones I can hep you up with to make you feel more 'with it' amongst your contemporaries.
                                      Well, to be fair, you did write "pre-teen dance", which is more or less the same as writing "school dance".

You're using retronyms without realising you're doing it.

Comment

Mundane Thread II

What is a 13 year old doing at a "pre-teen dance"?

Comment

Mundane Thread II

Benjm wrote: It was in the function room at the back of yours and Bored's local.

Quite a big event. Free finger buffet.

Didn't anyone, aah...tell you?
                                          If there was a free finger buffet behind mine and Bored's local, then there wouldn't have been any point in going anyway.

Bored's like bloody napalm when he sees a buffet in or near a pub. Particularly if there are scotch eggs or veal, ham & egg pie going.

Comment

Mundane Thread II

WOM wrote: But look, if it's retronyms you're after, I have a few groovy ones I can hep you up with to make you feel more 'with it' amongst your contemporaries.
                                            If my nyms got any more retro they'd be in Latin. I did wonder what the youth are saying these days but, as I don't generally have to speak to them, it's slightly academic, daddio.

Comment

Mundane Thread II

ursus arctos wrote: What is a 13 year old doing at a "pre-teen dance"?
                                              Good point. No wonder all the lads were shorter than she was.

Comment

Mundane Thread II

Comment

Mundane Thread II

I'm not saying my school was rough, but if there were ever to have been a finger buffet it would have almost certainly contained actual fingers.

Comment

Mundane Thread II

Smallcaps wrote:
                                                    Originally posted by WOM
                                                    But look, if it's retronyms you're after, I have a few groovy ones I can hep you up with to make you feel more 'with it' amongst your contemporaries.
                                                    Come on, WOM would never consider wearing a shirt like that. There's no writing on it for a start.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X