Mundane Thread II

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mundane Thread II

Gangster Octopus wrote: But isn't that how German football crowds have fun?
    No, that's how the people in German football crowds who sit on the fence and bawl into the megaphone have fun.

Comment

Mundane Thread II

caja-dglh wrote: It wouldn't surprise me if treibeis spends time making sure he knows how to get a hole in one on every hole of his course. Just so he can knock a happy punter down a peg or two.
      Did it once. Last summer, some twat who was giving it large in an attempt to impress his date kept complaining that my balls didn't run properly (ooh, I don't know where he gets it from).

After he'd moaned for a third time, I snatched a club, marched to the first hole and said, "Right, if I get a hole in one with this ball, you keep it shut. If I don't, I'll give you another ball and you can have the round for free."

As luck would have it, I got a hole in one. (And it was luck; it was, and still is, the only time I've played crazy golf since about 1978.)

Comment

Mundane Thread II

ursus arctos wrote: If you order a Frankfurter in Frankfurt, this is what you will get (though usually with a paper plate)

It's the random loaf of bread that bothers me. What, nobody ever considered how handy it would be to split open the bread, put the franks in there, and then you don't even *need* a paper plate?

Oh, and put some kraut on there. Kraut is excellent with a dog.

Comment

Mundane Thread II

Flynnie wrote: It's the random loaf of bread that bothers me.
          They use the bread to mop up the mustard that they haven't dipped their sausage into - mustard that shouldn't be there in the first place.

And you should only have cabbage and sausage on the same plate if it's part of a sit-down, knife-and-fork meal.

Comment

Mundane Thread II

caja-dglh wrote: FF - without wanting to encourage a tech purchase, I highly recommend the Withings WiFi scales. They basically do all the work tracking your weight for you and show it on the scale and track longer on the app.

Having not weighed myself for years, I find I will weigh myself at the same time each day. I often feel vindicated about a bizarre weight increase following a bathroom visit that day. Beyond that scatological component, it is really good for learning weight paths via what you eat.
            I'm intrigued about this wifi scale, but I just bought a new lens, so I think I'll refrain from buying one now. I just recently bought one that measures things like body fat and water content. I don't know how it works, but you have to step on it with bare feet and stand on these metal circles.

On another topic, I'm so annoyed with Teddy right now. He found something that I suspect was a chicken bone while we were out walking tonight and he wouldn't drop it when I told him to and he swallowed it before I could grab him and try to take it out of his mouth.

The thing is, he knows what 'drop it' means. If he has my sock in his mouth, he will drop it, even without being offered a treat. But if he finds food outside, he refuses to drop it. Can't say that I blame him, but for his own safety, I really need to figure out how to train him to drop something, no matter what it is. I try to keep an eye out for dangers, but sometimes he sees things before I do.

So far, nothing bad has happened when he's eaten something he's found outside, but all it takes is one time and we're either going to be spending a lot of money at the vet's or he's going to die. I don't want either to happen.

Maybe I'll just stop taking him for walks and we'll see how he likes that.

Comment

Mundane Thread II

Phoebe does that too bits of crab on the beach mainly and she didn't used to. They push boundaries as they get more comfortable with their territories and pack. They probably need a training refresher.

Comment

Mundane Thread II

WOM wrote: What sort of custom do you attract?
                Here speaks a man who's never used a public toilet in Europe.

(Edit: not that they're any better in Argentina, mind. And I mean good grief, if any of you ever visit Argentina the absolute last thing you want to do is use a public toilet here.)

I'm intrigued, by the way; did treibeis lock the woman in the toilet, or did he snatch the keys from the next in line and then walk off whilst leaving the door unlocked? Both seem potentially counter productive, to me.

Comment

Mundane Thread II

Amor de Cosmos wrote: Phoebe does that too bits of crab on the beach mainly and she didn't used to. They push boundaries as they get more comfortable with their territories and pack. They probably need a training refresher.
                  Agreed. I periodically do refreshers with him on other things, like walking on the lead without pulling, and he responds really well. He's very food motivated, but that's the problem--how do I find a high enough value treat to make him give up something as tasty as a chicken bone? I have to draw the line at walking around with a raw steak in my pocket.

Comment

Mundane Thread II

I finished a lot of work yesterday and sent it off, so celebrated with a tarte citron, a glittery cocktail, and by buying some sparkly slippers with pompoms. The cat took a violent dislike to the pompoms and had to be physically restrained. She's ignoring them today.

Mr Lodger is away tonight, and sent me a text asking if I would mind putting his sheets on a 60 wash as they were in the machine, but he hadn't wanted to wake me with the noise. I was pleased to tell him I had already done so.

I'm happy to have the place to myself (and cat) for a change :-)

Comment

Mundane Thread II

A considerate lodger is a wonderful thing.

My lodgers were considerate for once, letting me sleep until after 9am.

Today I need to do some cleaning up and I have to prepare Teddy for his job tomorrow, which basically means that I have to wash him and touch up his afro.

Comment

Mundane Thread II

I finally found the metal tube for the washing line.
                        Only took me three mows of the lawn over the space of a month, some intensive raking and about 10 minutes on hands and knees tapping the grass like it was a piano.
                        It's the first and probably last time I've had the thought "you know what? I wish I had a metal detector."

Comment

Mundane Thread II

Oh and I'm on my 4th load of washing today.

Comment

Mundane Thread II

Wooh, that's a lot of drying.

I would like a plastic detector - I can't find the attachment for my steam cleaner to steam carpets. And Lord knows, my carpets need a steaming.

I think it might be in the high cupboard in the kitchen, which needs the lodger on the top of the stepladder to reach. I got him to put some boxes of random stuff up there, now I think we should have checked the boxes more thoroughly.

I suppose I could look for a spare attachment online.

Comment

Mundane Thread II

I was outside today for half an hour and had to come back inside because I was having an asthma attack. I've never had seasonal allergies like this before, although I've had asthma for several years. I also have reflux disease, which is under control with medication, but it's not uncommon for people with reflux to also have asthma. Something about inhaling stomach acid is annoying to airways, apparently. All of the allergy tests my doctor did years ago were negative.

Maybe I need to be taking antihistamines and not just depending on my asthma medicines. I just hate how drowsy they make me.

Comment

Mundane Thread II

I've been working on my latest uni assignment on and off all day.

That's my plan for tomorrow and next weekend and bank holiday as well.

This message board is a welcome occasional distraction.

Comment

Mundane Thread II

Girlfriend just got back from a cookery product demonstration which she thought she'd attend with her aunt as a way of passing the afternoon while I watch football.

She won a multi-function food processing kit worth about a week and a half's rent, including one of those hand-held processor things which I'd just been looking at a couple of hours ago and thinking 'I'd love one of those, I could make curry pastes and whatnot much more easily with it...'

Comment

Mundane Thread II

Good work Miss not Sam.

I bought appliances for the soon to be my house. I got a 4.8 cubic ft washer and an 8.3 cubic ft dryer. What can I say -
                                    I got a deal through some fortuitous circumstances. I think we may need to wash less. Don't think my wife has quite realized I bought industrial appliances.

Comment

Mundane Thread II

Buy a box of Color Catchers and you can wash all of your laundry at once.

Comment

Mundane Thread II

Don't know if it happens to anyone else, but if I have to go to the supermarket straight after work, I find the experience a strangely relaxing one. Work is mostly hectic and busy, and I share a workplace with a huge amount of people, so sometimes there is a certain amount of tension through having to get through a hefty workload.

Half-an-hour after getting out at five, however, and I'm at Asda. I wouldn't say I'm serene, but I feel the tension and weight lifted in a way I wouldn't normally feel at home. Perhaps I'm milling around with lots of similarly-relaxed people in a cooled environment where there's no rush, no hustling, no pressure, and I can just..
                                        well, comfort-shop in a way.

Weird.

Comment

Mundane Thread II

Armchair cycling and football today. My oldest friend is running the London Marathon, he's said that the admin is a preposterous pain in the arse. I think he just likes the more obscure events.

Regular readers might like to know that my mum has been working on her issues, and I've told her I'm proud of her for doing so. So that's nice.

Comment

Mundane Thread II

Yes, that's nice.

We've had a bigoted person appear on AntRap (the Ant fan forum), and yesterday she brought up the bathroom rights question. It was gratifying to see that people took her to task and not even one person partially defended her; some held back (including me) as they didn't want to seem to be ganging up on someone who clearly has issues. Ant People are generally cool anyway, but it's good to see that so many people are clued up, and not all of them from cosmopolitan cities, either.

I've got another day off, as I've been working hard lately. Going to the gym in a bit.

Comment

Mundane Thread II

Oh god, my friend posted a link on FB to a rawstory article about a Texas sheriff who says he would beat the crap out of any trans woman who tried to share a bathroom with his daughter. I commented on it that he's probably in church right now, and because the original status was set to 'public', my bigot aunt has now come along and 'loved' the post. Not realizing that my friend was being sarcastic when he wrote "He seems nice".

I hate that he insists on making the majority of his posts public, and I sometimes avoid commenting or even liking them because I knew something like this would happen eventually. It's one thing to have bigot relatives, it's quite another when they announce it to everyone (and her maiden name is in her FB user name, so I can't even pretend to not know her).

I always knew it was going to be a bad idea to mix family and friends on FB.

Comment

Mundane Thread II

Femme Folle wrote: I was outside today for half an hour and had to come back inside because I was having an asthma attack. I've never had seasonal allergies like this before, although I've had asthma for several years. I also have reflux disease, which is under control with medication, but it's not uncommon for people with reflux to also have asthma. Something about inhaling stomach acid is annoying to airways, apparently. All of the allergy tests my doctor did years ago were negative.

Maybe I need to be taking antihistamines and not just depending on my asthma medicines. I just hate how drowsy they make me.
                                                That connection is interesting, and might explain why my sinusitis is accompanied by occasional, but regular, feelings of slight nausea.

Comment

Mundane Thread II

I always attributed that nausea to sinus fluid (a.k.a. snot) draining into the stomach, because that was my dad's theory. It made sense, so I made it my own.

Comment

Mundane Thread II

I use a saline sinus spray (when I remember) which really cuts down on the post nasal drip. It makes you immediate blow your nose.

Sinus pain was shooting up the back of my head a couple of weeks ago, making me think I had a brain tumour (of course).

Comment

Working...
                                                    X