Mundane Thread II

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mundane Thread II

Speaking of things whose backsides want licking...

Comment

Mundane Thread II

Random Christmas stamps fact, Royal Mail alternate between a religious and secular set of designs every year. There should always be stamps from the previous year available if you want to avoid religious ones or proselytize.

Every two years the Daily Mail (no relation) criticises Royal Mail for not producing religious stamp designs. It's regular as clockwork.

Comment

Mundane Thread II

I feel so amazing. Who knew that just two days off work could feel so rejuvenating? And now I have the weekend to look forward to (including an extra hour on Sunday morning).

Happy weekend, everyone.

Comment

Mundane Thread II

I had to go and buy a printer cartridge tonight.

What do they make printer ink out of? It's the most precious substance on earth.

Comment

Mundane Thread II

Day Three of my four day weekend (+ 1 hour) has begun. I was going to sleep later than usual, but the sun and the cat had different ideas. No problem. I'm still happy. With part of my household chores already done, what's left doesn't feel so daunting. Which is nice.

I got a package yesterday--it was a handbag and a couple of scarves that I ordered off a site called Meowingtons. I bought one cat-themed scarf to send to my friend in New Orleans. She is the quintessential cat lady, so I knew she would like it. When I saw the handbag, I knew she would like that as well, so I wrapped that up and posted it to her along with the scarf (even though I originally bought it for myself). And then I ordered another handbag to keep. Here's what it looks like, in case you're that curious: http://www.meowingtons.com/collections/purrses/products/chloe-cat-purrse

I'm going to try to get some writing done today and tomorrow. If I can at least complete the first draft of the outline, I will feel better.

Comment

Mundane Thread II

What are you writing, FF?

Jongudmund wrote: To Sam: A First Day Cover is an envelope mailed on the first day a new set of stamps come out, often with a special postmark.

It is for collectors. No one else would be interested.

Most of the time they have typed/printed addresses because they are ordered and processed centrally. But apparently you can also do your own covers and submit them via the post office. My wife happened to be in the main post office and wanted to buy me the Star Wars stamps when the woman at the counter said she hadn't sent off the bag of covers to get the special postmark yet, so my wife wrote the envelope and it went in the mailbag for first day covers.

This has got to be a contender for mundanest mundane thread post.
              Ah, that's nice. I mean, you're right in that I'll have forgotten all that in about ten minutes' time, to be honest, but I can see how that was a nice surprise.

Gangster Octopus wrote: The boiler bit the dust when I was having a shower this morning. Never been one for cold showers...
              Oh, GO, my heart bleeds for you... and in news that is entirely unrelated to my sarcasm, here's the latest on the Gas Saga. After deciding not to come in on Thursday, both the chaps turned up on Friday and started taking up what remained of our front concourse. By mid afternoon, the pipe was uncovered and those of us who were going in and out could have a look and see how big the holes were that had lead to the leak.

They're fucking HUGE! And there are LOADS of them! I say 'see how big the holes were' but in reality it was more like trying to spot the small threads of metal piping that were left in between the vast stretches of nothing. I believe the plan's now been changed from 'patch up the pipe with new sections of pipe inserted inside to help things along' to 'replace the pipe because as it stands at the moment we were effectively just having gas pumped into the building via a hollowed-out tunnel in the ground'. It's really quite impressive the entire building didn't go up years ago, looking at the state of it.

It's now been cut out and taken away, and I assume will be replaced next week. On Wednesday we'll have been two months without gas.

Comment

Mundane Thread II

Sam, I'm writing a novel. Can't say any more about it now--don't want to jinx it. I made progress on my outline and my plot summary. I think it's a viable story and I can't wait to share it with everyone, but don't hold your breath or anything, it's still a long way from ready to share.

When I say I don't want to jinx it, what I really mean is that I don't want to jinx my motivation.

Comment

Mundane Thread II

I've been laughing along with Blackadder for 20 years in reference to the actors' superstition over The Scottish Play. Only today did I find out the superstition is a real thing in theatrical circles.

Comment

Mundane Thread II

Toby Gymshorts wrote: They don't ship to non-US locations. Sadface.
                    Cheers Toby. I now have a "Gangsters" earworm.

Comment

Mundane Thread II

Watching World Series. Meh.

Have put a sign on the door to say "What is the capital of Scotland?"

So far, no takers. Admittedly, I am not sure that my two hosts know, but what the hell.

Of course, I probably should have put the sign on the OUTSIDE of the door. Sod it. At least I know now what 'Milk Duds' are. And they really suck.

Comment

Mundane Thread II

Possibly the wrong thread for this, and I apologise upfront:

We got our first Trick or Treaters.

One dressed as Captain America, the other, I had to ask. He said a ninja. I said, so how come I can see you, and he said it's only a hobby.

I just gave him the whole bag of candy.

The best ever.

Comment

Mundane Thread II

Nice to see you Ger. So what are milk duds then? I could google it but your explanation will be much better.

Comment

Mundane Thread II

They're chewy little balls of chocolate designed to dislodge all of your fillings.

Comment

Mundane Thread II

They are like those rhubarb and custard things, but without the flavour, AND they proclaim to have calcium.

It's like having a blowjob... you are enjoying it, and then they tell you it was from a woman...

In other news, I wrote a book. OK, I joined a library, but same old, same old.

Comment

Mundane Thread II

Femme Folle wrote: They're chewy little balls of chocolate designed to dislodge all of your fillings.
                                FF: Are we talking about the same thing?

There is absolutely no semblance of chocolate anywhere near these little fuckers.

Or milk... although, that would be a double-attorney fix.

Comment

Mundane Thread II

gerontophile wrote:
                                  Originally posted by Femme Folle
                                  They're chewy little balls of chocolate designed to dislodge all of your fillings.
                                  FF: Are we talking about the same thing?

There is absolutely no semblance of chocolate anywhere near these little fuckers.

Or milk... although, that would be a double-attorney fix.
                                  OK, let me revise: They're chewy little balls of some indeterminate substance designed to dislodge all of your fillings.

Better?

Comment

Mundane Thread II

I was pleasantly surprised how many houses in the neighborhood we went trick-or-treating last night were offering grown-up beverages to the parents. About 4 or 5. I had already had a drink with dinner, so I didn't take any, but it was nice to be offered. Beer, wine, some pre-mixed margaritas.

Comment

Mundane Thread II

Good grief, you people really go for it, don't you?

Femme Folle wrote: Sam, I'm writing a novel. Can't say any more about it now--don't want to jinx it. I made progress on my outline and my plot summary. I think it's a viable story and I can't wait to share it with everyone, but don't hold your breath or anything, it's still a long way from ready to share.

When I say I don't want to jinx it, what I really mean is that I don't want to jinx my motivation.
                                      I know that feeling. My own planning is going very slowly because... well, because I'm lazy basically.

Comment

Mundane Thread II

Sam--I am lazy too, but I have decided that this is the year that I finally do something. I'm sick and tired of watching all of my friends have books published. I'm feeling left out.

I know it's a long shot that a first novel would even get picked up by a publisher, but it has no chance at all if it never gets written.

Comment

Mundane Thread II

Are there any Teddy pics in his get-up?

Comment

Mundane Thread II

I got my car valeted today for the first time ever, and I feel proper bourgeois.

Comment

Mundane Thread II

I've just spent the whole weekend with my husband trying to reduce the total amount of stuff in our flat. We're moving house in a couple of weeks if all goes to plan, and we're trying to use it as an excuse to declutter and not move all our crap to the new place. We've thrown out at least five bags worth of rubbish (paperwork we don't need, kitchen cupboard stuff past its sell-by-date, broken toys, etc) and put together five bags of stuff that will be going to the charity shop in the morning.

My mum, bless her, looked after my daughter for the duration as trying to tidy a house which has a toddler in it is an enraging sisyphean task. Unfortunately, my mum is an incorrigible shopaholic and hoarder. So while knowing that the whole purpose of the weekend is that we're getting rid of stuff, we're moving house, we don't want stuff, any stuff at all, she still can't help herself. When our daughter was returned to us she came with:
                                              - a new coat
                                              - 3 new pairs of socks and a pair of tights
                                              - 2 new t-shirt and legging sets
                                              - a new cardigan
                                              - 2 books about having a new baby sibling
                                              - a bag of croissants
                                              - a flashing monkey headtorch
                                              - a doll of Anna from Frozen
                                              - a china dog figurine painted by my daughter

All of this stuff is useful or sweet stuff that it's hard to say no to, but this is my mum 'not' buying stuff. She comes round every week and brings this amount or more, meaning we are drowning in possessions. How do I stop her? I've tried hints, I've tried being blunt and direct and making her cry, I've tried returning the stuff to her in bags, I've tried showing her that we're taking all the stuff she's bought us to the charity shop again. Sometimes it works for a week or two and then it just starts again.

I know this is my mum's way of showing love but it is driving me insane. I spend half my very limited free time trying to make sure my family isn't buried in a pile of tat and I'm sick of it.

Comment

Mundane Thread II

Tough one. I never got my Dad to stop trying to feed me stuff I didn't eat. It's like he was stuck on a Zombie Mrs Doyle setting. "Ham sandwich, mini apple pie, ham sandwich..". It made me very anxious, especially when I was very young and borderline bulimic. I wish we could have just talked.

It is like OCD or something, but doesn't get recognised as such, IMO.

I know it was his way of nurturing.

Comment

Mundane Thread II

Balderdasha wrote: I know this is my mum's way of showing love but it is driving me insane. I spend half my very limited free time trying to make sure my family isn't buried in a pile of tat and I'm sick of it.
                                                  Good luck. I've spent almost three years now asking people, pointedly and directly, not to buy me anything for Xmas or birthdays. If Mrs WOM or the kids need to buy me something, make it theatre tickets or something experiential. Yet the cavalcade of stuff continues unabated. It's astounding, really.

Comment

Mundane Thread II

My girlfriend's aunt isn't as bad as that, but does have an infuriating habit of totally ignoring what we tell her, and buying or finding us stuff anyway. This resulted in us getting a few bits of furnishing for the flat free (bedside tables and a laundry basket she wove herself out of old newspaper, most visibly), but wasn't half annoying even though we needed it all and it's beautiful. It's reached the point where when we talk about how we'll ever be able to afford something, I'll say, 'what we need to do is tell your aunt, very forcefully, that we really don't want [that precise thing].'

Comment

Working...
                                                    X