Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gifts as such are nowadays practically unknown at Spanish weddings. Instead guests give money. Bottom rates start from around 150 euros.

Comment

Same in Greece, though I’m not certain whether they still pin it to the bride’s dress.

In other news I am preparing to sand down a piece of wooden furniture we are painting and giving new knobs. You can pay good money for that.

Comment

Here’s before. Something of a throwback now as it was sold as a telephone table, indeed that was its purpose for about fifteen years:

Comment

There's all kinds of stuff like that. Remember hifi units, vcr cabinets, computer desks...?

Comment

Sits' project is essentially just a nice side table though.

A lot of units originally designed to house obsolete tech are beyond any kind of repurposing due to their shape, height and material being so narrowly suited to that single use.

I have a few large CD racks bought second hand. They're dirt cheap now, for obvious reasons, but the amount of dross you have to search through to find a plain one which holds a reasonable number of CDs for its footprint is startling. How did people think that four foot metal sculptures of alligators that hold 16 discs were a good idea even in the heyday of the format?

Comment

They were desperately trying to distract from the ugliness of the medium itself.

Comment

Originally posted by Third rate Leszno View Post
                I'm drinking German whisky. It's surprisingly nice.
                What's it called?

Comment

Baltach - described as a Wismarian single malt.

Comment

Preparing to go out, but trying to act like I'm not. It's not working. The boy senses even the most subtle changes to my routine and demeanor. And it was a big tell that I loaded a couple of dog biscuits into his dispenser. The only time I use it is when I go out. He's looking at me now with those sad eyes. It kills me!

Comment

People of OTF. Help needed. I've accepted an invitation to a James Bond themed party, and want to be original.

My last fancy dress experience ("New Years Eve - come as someone beginning N, Y or E" - turned into a hellish Noddyfest so I'd like to avoid being just another bloke in a dinner jacket.

Comment

You've come to the right place.

Comment

Go naked, apart from gold body paint.

Comment

Teddy has a brilliant life, FF. Don't you dare feel guilty.

Comment

Plenty to work with here, but I like the image of Pierce Brosnan with the table on his head most, just can't link to it.

https://www.007james.com/articles/to...ins_part_2.php

Comment

Originally posted by HORN View Post
                                People of OTF. Help needed. I've accepted an invitation to a James Bond themed party, and want to be original.
                                A one piece white mankini with a knife in the belt and conch shell accessory.

Comment

My last fancy dress experience ("New Years Eve - come as someone beginning N, Y or E" - turned into a hellish Noddyfest so I'd like to avoid being just another bloke in a dinner jacket.
                                  Just go round showing people your third nipple.

Comment

You're not, by chance, a midget with a gravelly voice are you?

Comment

Hmm, thanks, all. Given my size I could probably pull off a half-decent Jaws.

Now to sort out Mrs H for the party. Female options seem somewhat cliched.

Comment

Gold paint, or shoes with daggers in. Sorted.

Or she could go as Goldfinger's model of Fort Knox, with a bit of cardboard.

Comment

Hmm, thanks, all. Given my size I could probably pull off a half-decent Jaws.

Now to sort out Mrs H for the party. Female options seem somewhat cliched.
                                          Turn up with a 'cello.

Comment

Shorts, camo green top, shirt, lots of lanyards / name badges, desert boots, hair in a messy bun. Boom, Dr Christmas Jones. Also doubles up as a tomb raider costume.

Comment

Find a massive cardboard box, wrap it in tinfoil and get inside it. Say you're a delicatessen in stainless steel.

Comment

I've lost my wallet. I think it dropped out of my pocket/car door at the gas station. Gone for good probably PITA!

Comment

I always struggle with fancy dress. At least a Bond themed one gives you the get-out-of-jail-free of wearing the DJ.

I've had a busy few hours. Every now and again they have free films showing on the deck of the USS Midway aircraft carrier. The best ones are when they show Top Gun - which is perfect for some people to come in fancy dress - which is usually just a pair of Aviators. Last night it was Aquaman. It was great to watch sunset with a picnic on the runway. The film's a bit rubbish, and a reminder of why I really find all superhero movies pointless redundant wastes of lots of money. But it didn't matter much because I was on an aircraft carrier watching a film.

This morning it was San Diego Pride. Went down for the 5k on the parade route, then hung around for the first 45 minutes of floats going by. Some stuff was great - and there's always a great enthusiastic crowd - but it feels like it's increasingly hijacked by politicians and corporates: every local congressman had a float, and all the largeish local businesses seemed to send their gays out for a walk waving rainbow flags. It's good that everyone wants to be associated with it, I guess, but it feels a little washed out as a result.

And now I've discovered that I have a deadline of Monday morning for some stuff I've been working on for months, and the last parts of it are going to be looking a bit scrappy as a result. And I'm going to have a stressy weekend.

Comment

Go as Blofeld's white cat.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X