No announcement yet.

Mundane Thread II

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So, what's the deal with these pub quizzes you lot do? How are they conducted; ie, on paper or little computers or verbally? How do you pay your rent on them? Is there a fee and a prize? Etc.

Comment

And can you post some typical questions here, for fun?

Comment

Originally posted by Femme Folle View Post

It should be called death insurance.
        Or just take out a funeral plan with the Co-op.

Comment

There's something I'm not proud of that I'm going to share.

Once upon a time I found the most perfect tooth flossers, but since the last one wound up in the bathroom bin I have been unable to find their like again. There's a lesson here. You like something? Fill your house up with backups.

I'm digressing. My quest for those perfect flossers has led me down many a path yet every time I'm disappointed.

My current flossers - goodness knows where I found them - are quite beefed up things, double strung with an undeniable steely quality that has made me dread the bedtime routine. It's not quite as bad as running at the barbed wire on the Messines Ridge, but I'm sure you get my drift.

Last night, post-floss, I felt something loose in my mouth. I popped it onto my hand and examined it carefully. It was a piece of popcorn.

We last ate popcorn some time in June.

Comment

The 41/52 score was helped because the quizmaster had set it so that the first letter of each answer spelled out an acrostic. There were two of these so once I'd worked out WIMBLEDON TENNIS FINAL and GENERAL KNOWLEDGE QUIZ that was a great help because I could fill in the gaps e.g. remembering that KITT was a Trans-am. (Although the local petrolhead was outraged because the answer should apparently have been Pontiac Firebird, because that was what the car was customised into or something. I don't know. I'm not into cars.)

But some people scored 49 or 48 and I think there was googling going on.

Also, Sam, 41/52 is about 80% rather than suspiciously high. So, within your parameters.

Comment

In other news our new bed has arrived. The old bed that was almost 21 years old, and the old mattress (about 10 years old) have gone. As has the accumulated dirt from under the bed. Proper filthy dust bunnies under there. Almost as gross as HORN's oral popcorn stash.

Comment

Just had my first Solero of the summer!

It lived up to expectations.

I'm about to apply for my Big Girl Bus/Travel Pass. Trains, buses and tubes, yay.

Comment

Somehow that seems a perfect end to a boozy week.

As always, your panache is genuinely inspiring.

Comment

I'm going to a "significant birthday" party for one of my neighbours tomorrow, as are a few others in the close where we live. On the invite, birthday boy has expressly stated "no presents" so, of course, one of the invitees, let's call her Diane, has suggested that we get him something!

After a bit of an e-mail conflab involving the other guests it was agreed that we'd get something for his long-suffering wife, (not really - he's a lovely bloke). Someone, let's call her Kim, suggested an expensive spa day, at which point Diane said great, get it organised and let me know how much I owe you!

The cheeky mare!

Anyway, someone else, let's call her Caroline, piped up and said that she and her hubby couldn't go to the party and didn't want to spend too much on a gift, (which took some guts, I thought, but good for her). A cheaper option was proposed and looked good but Diane chimes in again and says let's keep to the expensive one, I'll put in more, you put in what you fancy Caroline.

The cheeky mare!

Now, you really don't want to upset Caroline, so I opened one of the windows to wait for the shouting and the police sirens, but (on e-mail, at least) Caroline's response was non-confrontational, if rather tangential.

So the party's tomorrow and no-one knows where we stand as regards the gift!
                    Last edited by Nocturnal Submission; 12-07-2019, 18:27.

Comment

Originally posted by Nocturnal Submission View Post
                      I'm going to a "significant birthday" party for one of my neighbours tomorrow, as are a few other in the close where we live. On the invite, birthday boy has expressly stated "no presents" so, of course, one of the invitees, let's call her Diane, has suggested that we get him something!

After a bit of an e-mail conflab involving other the guests it was agreed that we'd get something for his long-suffering wife, (not really - he's a lovely bloke). Someone, let's call her Kim, suggested an expensive spa day, at which point Diane said great, get it organised and let me know how much I owe you!

The cheeky mare!

Anyway, someone else, let's call her Caroline, piped up and said that she and her hubby couldn't go to the party and didn't want to spend too much on a gift, (which took some guts, I thought, but good for her). A cheaper option was proposed and looked good but Diane chimes in again and says let's keep to the expensive one, I'll put in more, you put in what you fancy Caroline.

The cheeky mare!

Now, you really don't want to upset Caroline, so I opened one of the windows to wait for the shouting and the police sirens, but (on e-mail, at least) Caroline's response was non-confrontational, if rather tangential.

So the party's tomorrow and no-one knows where we stand as regards the gift!
                      One for all giftcards are the greatest invention ever for Irish party goers, they're easy to buy, they look good and most shops accept them. One tip though, when it's your 50th birthday party and you receive about €350.00 worth of them and put them all in the one bag "for safe keeping ", don't then drunkenly throw said bag in the bin while helping the bar staff clean up. That can certainly put a dampener on things the next day .

Comment

NS, your post sends chills down my spine.

Comment

That is why I don't associate with the neighbours.

Comment

Originally posted by Femme Folle View Post
                            That is why I don't associate with the neighbours.
                            'ello missus Folle, 'ows your Bert's lumbago?

Comment

Originally posted by MsD View Post
                              Just had my first Solero of the summer!

It lived up to expectations.

I'm about to apply for my Big Girl Bus/Travel Pass. Trains, buses and tubes, yay.
                              Soleros anno 2019 are 10 grammes lighter than in 2018. But they cost the same. And they were 98 calories last year and all.

Somebody's pulling our pisser, you know.

Comment

I can live with it.

Comment

What is a "one for all giftcard" please?

Comment

Originally posted by TonTon View Post
                                    What is a "one for all giftcard" please?
                                    It's run by the Irish post office, you can buy a credit card sized giftcard and load it up with as much as you think the recipient deserves, they can then spend it in store or online ,nearly every business accepts them. As I said, cuts out a lot of hassle with present giving .

Comment

But they know what you think they're worth. Whereas, you could wrap up some old tat you were thinking of chucking out, or something you bought at the market and they'd be none the wiser.

Comment

Ta elg

Comment

Originally posted by MsD View Post
                                          But they know what you think they're worth. Whereas, you could wrap up some old tat you were thinking of chucking out, or something you bought at the market and they'd be none the wiser.
                                          People do that as well.

Comment

One should point out that the gold standard in gifts - apart from, er, gold - is still widely considered to be high quality punk themed ceramics.

Comment

Not to try to dominate the gift-giving conundrum discussion, but I'm going to a wedding reception in a couple of months and, in the absence of a wedding list, was discussing what to get with another invitee. She suggested something about auctions and antique Lalique glassware and I knew that my crystal-vase-from-John-Lewis train of thought could be disregarded.

Comment

Originally posted by Benjm View Post
                                                One should point out that the gold standard in gifts - apart from, er, gold - is still widely considered to be high quality punk themed ceramics.
                                                Yes, our "Half a century" Jubilee edition investment heritage pieces are very highly prized, and can be delivered the next day.

Comment

I'm drinking German whisky. It's surprisingly nice.

Comment

Efficient, one might say.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X