Mundane Thread II

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Amor de Cosmos View Post

You've had a particularly hot Summer, which has probably accelerated things a bit. We're on a Channel Islands latitude and blackberries are generally in full fruit by late July, which looks about right for this year.
    Has it been v hot in Southern England consistently? It's been shit sandwich in Ireland compared to last year.

Comment

No, one really hot spell and tempertures above average in the last month or so (today was quite warm) but nothing like last year, so far at least.

Comment

August was pretty mince last year here and in Scotland, so I'm hoping things are reversed from last year. We've had a few weeks around 18-20 degrees (highs of 23!) which would have made me feel Baltic last July but now feels like Sol Invictus is blessing us.

Comment

Today was lovely. Now I'm on my balcony, a massive cloud formation has settled for the night.

Comment

It's sunny (well, blue sky is showing) the other side of my gaff of course.

Comment

I'm having a boozy and sociable week. Cooked dinner for my friend tonight and we ate it on the terrace with a bottle of wine.

The cat keeps bringing me insect gifts. I trod on a dragonfly yesterday (with my feet bare) and got a big moth today, still flapping its wings. I put it outside where it may be able to have another chance, or not.

Got French homework to do. I've been a bad student this week.

Comment

When we had a cat he used to bring us pieces of frog from next door’s pond. He once brought in a live blackbird which I managed to rescue after a hilarious (not hilarious) Benny Hill-style chase around a cluttered garage.

A previous cat brought home a squirrel, a pigeon and a large rat. Not all at the same time.

Comment

My son is up from Canberra for the weekend, which is nice, and has sampled the newly refurbished bathroom (remember, where the sea monster bath spout came from). The facilities may never quite be the same.

Comment

Originally posted by Sits View Post
                    When we had a cat he used to bring us pieces of frog from next door’s pond. He once brought in a live blackbird which I managed to rescue after a hilarious (not hilarious) Benny Hill-style chase around a cluttered garage.

A previous cat brought home a squirrel, a pigeon and a large rat. Not all at the same time.
                    Milly used to bring in a lot of lively boinging frogs and watch with interest as I dealt with them. No pond near here, thankfully.

I'm glad she's not much of a killer, but we'd starve if she was the main breadwinner.

Comment

It's nearly 90 degrees outside and feels hotter. We fired up the aircon a bit late today, and the house can't cool itself below 78. I'm melting a bit. I am, though, sitting looking out at the mountains and palm trees and blue skies, and about to jump in the pool to cool off having just delivered the latest set of rushes. I'm more than a little sad that there's a chance we'll have to move for the missus's work. If we do, I'll seriously miss being here.

Comment

We are in the midst of cooling thunderstorm cells

Comment

We are sweltering at the seaside, which is exactly where you'd want to swelter. The ocean is the perfect temperature.

Tomorrow we're going up that lighthouse I posted on the other thread. Early, before it becomes a chimney.

Comment

Originally posted by San Bernardhinault View Post
                            . I'm more than a little sad that there's a chance we'll have to move for the missus's work. If we do, I'll seriously miss being here.
                            Where might you go?

Comment

Teddy heard the thunder and tried to go into his bed that I put under the end table, but he couldn't because *surprise* Mickey was sound asleep in there. I had to wake him up and make him go to his own bed so Teddy could hide out. And don't anyone feel bad for Mickey--he was in there sleeping, not because he was afraid of the thunder. We had originally planned to go on the lobster boat today, but decided to go Saturday after seeing today's forecast.

Comment

I'm always Team Teddy. Mickey can look after himself.

Comment

The Volkswagen dealer gave me free access to my Carfax report for as long as I own the car. I don't know if this is in response to my complaints about their service, or if they do it for all of their customers. It will probably help if I decide to sell the car, so it was a nice gift regardless of the reason.

Comment

Originally posted by WOM View Post

Where might you go?
                                    I don't want to pre-empty anything until things are more clear. But, sadly, I fear that nowhere's as nice as San Diego for someone who likes sunshine, ocean, desert and being outdoors most days.

Comment

I don't want to pre-empty anything until things are more clear. But, sadly, I fear that nowhere's as nice as San Diego for someone who likes sunshine, ocean, desert and being outdoors most days.
                                      Gaza? (Though admittedly the "being outside most days" is more because your house will have been bombed)

Comment

I fear that the employment situation in Gaza might not be better than California

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
                                          I went to a pub quiz tonight. 41/52 which is ok for a team of just 2. Some suspiciously high scoring bastards won it.
                                          41 is a suspiciously high score, if there were two of you. I humbly submit that the quiz was too easy.

As a quizmaster, I always feel the sweet spot for setting is when the winning team get more or less 80% of available points and the team who finish last get around 50% (barring the occasional outlier in a country like this where someone turns up without a clue what a pub quiz is, or with worse English than they think they have, and insists on playing solo). Those are the ones I'm always happiest with, and after which I tend to get the highest number of 'great quiz this month' comments from punters. Of course, you never know for sure whether you've managed it until you're sitting there reading the quiz a couple of rounds in. That's why I enjoy it, it's a challenge for me as well to set a good one.

Of course, if it was in the UK then there's a very good chance the quizmaster just bought a set and wrote few if any of the questions themselves.

Comment

Originally posted by Sam View Post
                                            41 is a suspiciously high score, if there were two of you. I humbly submit that the quiz was too easy.
                                            When I looked at PT's post I initially read 41/52 as a ranking rather than a score and was wondering how big the pub must have been.

Comment

If I had 52 teams on a regular basis, I could pay two thirds of my rent from my pub quiz (which is once a month).

That assumes an average of four players per team, but given that at present practically every team has five or six players (with six being the most allowed), that seems fair.

Comment

Stadium pub quiz! I think you should go for it. You could approach Bono for tips on how to scale up your performance for the big venues.

"Question 21. Is this a rebel song and for a bonus point what is the title?"

Comment

I fear that the employment situation in Gaza might not be better than California
                                                  And what's the craft beer situation like?

Comment

Originally posted by Gangster Octopus View Post
                                                    And what's the craft beer situation like?
                                                    They pre-empty the bottles....

Comment

Working...
                                                    X