No announcement yet.

Mundane Thread II

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ach. Choppers are a dangerous form of transport, there is always that consolation.

Comment

My mother's favourite cousin died in one. Being in the room when she got that call was one of the formative experiences of my childhood.

And as FF mentioned, one went into the Hudson at 30th Street just after takeoff this afternoon. Thankfully, there were no serious injuries in that one.

Comment

The most dangerous part of my Da's job is the transport to and from the rigs in those hellish things.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
          I have a colleague who keeps her car at their beach house and takes a helicopter there and back on weekends (her husband is a Goldman partner).
          I guess that's much the same as people who float-plane to downtown Vancouver from the Gulf Islands everyday. There are probably comparables all over the place.

Comment

Our network went down around 5pm, so I took that as a sign that I should get outside with Teddy. The weather could not not have been more perfect--around 20 degrees and sunny and not windy. So we walked down to the dog park. There were several dogs Teddy's size or smaller, and he was having a great time running around until he attracted the notice of two French bulldogs (intact males, to be exact). Every time he tried to run, they would chase him and try to pin him down. When Teddy started snapping at them, I knew he had had enough, so I got him out of there before one of those dogs tried to hurt him. They each had easily 10 pounds of weight on poor Teddy and it could have turned ugly very quickly. We went to the other side of the enclosure where there was a single little Chihuahua mix playing by himself. He and Teddy basically ran around and ignored each other, so fuck those Frenchie bastards.

Comment

I really like French bulldogs. There are lots here. Although dogs in Buenos Aires are astonishingly well behaved, given how badly behaved a lot of the humans are.

I like the look of ursus' building, and his living room (however much he tries to kid us that it's not really his), but the lack of balconies would be a bit of a pain in the arse for me. Of course, Buenos Aires probably has more days of balcony-friendly weather per year than New York. But then it's also got its fair share of buildings of more or less the same era, many of which are similarly balcony free.

Speaking of flats and buildings, we're moving soon. The contract signing has had to be delayed until next week, but we've been told we can pick up the keys in the next couple of days to start moving things over this weekend, if we want to. The administration of it all seems to be rather done on trust, which is nice on the one hand and a bit weird on the other, and a little unsettling because the last conversation about the price was two and a half months ago, and this is a country with 40% annual inflation, so we're hoping like fuck that when we get the contract the price hasn't increased by a couple of thousand pesos.

Comment

I like them too, as long as they're not bullying my baby.

Comment

Originally posted by Sam View Post

I like the look of ursus' building, and his living room (however much he tries to kid us that it's not really his), but the lack of balconies would be a bit of a pain in the arse for me. Of course, Buenos Aires probably has more days of balcony-friendly weather per year than New York. But then it's also got its fair share of buildings of more or less the same era, many of which are similarly balcony free.
                  We have a small balcony, used mainly for drying clothes/parking bicycles/putting out smelly shoes, but also occasionally for sitting outside with a glass of wine. View is of the buildings opposite and the palm trees dotted down the street. Doesn't get that much sun but usually it's warm enough anyway.

I'd like to grow a few tomatoes and stuff there but other half not so keen.

Comment

We had a long, but narrow balcony in Frankfurt and a large patio in Milan, but balconies are hard to find in buildings of this vintage (though corner apartments here have small ones).

We do have a communal roof garden which is very nice, though not yet open for vegetable growing (it has been proposed, but rejected)

Comment

MsD has been a bit quite of late. Hope she's recovered from her food poisoning

Comment

That roof looks ace, ursus

Comment

I still hope to have you over for a drink someday.

Comment

It does, although I assume the raised beds are further from tgevedge than they appear?

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
                              MsD has been a bit quite of late. Hope she's recovered from her food poisoning
                              Thank you! Am fine, have been busy working and going to gigs. We'll catch up soon, mwah!

Comment

Was thinking Ursusí rather lovely apartment building looked familiar, and eventually realised I think I stayed a few nights with an old work colleague/friend in it in the mid 90s in the days when I was often to & fro-ing to NYC. If Iím right the building name has a French connection, but I wont divulge anything more specific than that.

Comment

It certainly does.

That's quite the coincidence.

Sits, there is a metre-high cast iron fence between the flowerbeds and the edge.
                                  Last edited by ursus arctos; 16-05-2019, 13:35.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                                    I still hope to have you over for a drink someday.
                                    I very much hope to take you up on that

Comment

Originally posted by slackster View Post
                                      Was thinking Ursusí rather lovely apartment building looked familiar, and eventually realised I think I stayed a few nights with an old work colleague/friend in it in the mid 90s in the days when I was often to & fro-ing to NYC. If Iím right the building name has a French connection, but I wont divulge anything more specific than that.

Gene Hackman Towers?

Comment

catching up on this thread - yes, advertising helicopters as a way to solve your transport woes is common in NYC. We will soon shift to how you really ought to take the water plane to Marthas Vinyard or the Hamptons so as not to waste your time in traffic.

Opposite side parking in NYC is bona fide mental, particularly with the number of exceptions that occur. It basically necessitates listening to WNYC to know whether you can leave your car where it is. Dependent on the area you may be surprised how easy it can be to park (Prospect Heights in Brooklyn was actually fine until the Barclays Center opened and it became a basketball parking lot).

Comment

In foot news, I am a big fan of cortisone shots.

Comment

I've been wearing those cheap ankle supports for a couple of weeks now - they're no cure-all but they have made a difference. I can stay on my feet all day and actually manage to walk back home from the bus stop without wincing.

Comment

I think I'm showing my age in how many of my acquaintances have recently raved about the immediate benefits of cortisone shots.

Comment

My hip's completely alright now. I have a GP's letter to make an appointment with, not sure I can be bothered. Just took some gentle stretching, and not sitting in an office chair for ages and ages.

Have been SOOOOOOO busy this week, now have to do my French homework before rushing off to see Theatre of Hate.

Just did my Ocado order for tomorrow.

Comment

I've just put up a new spice rack & kitchen towel holder in the kitchen.

That's about as mundane as it comes, isn't it?

Comment

Hold my oven mitt.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X