Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post
    Mornington Crescent
    Today seems an apt day to say the same thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Snake Plissken View Post
      When we were in Stockholm a couple of years ago, we spent one of the two days simply riding the Metro.

This is such a stunning station, I saw it on a TV doc a couple of years ago – one of Michael Portillo's Great Railway Journeys, perhaps? Never seen anything like it.

Comment

[QUOTE=Nocturnal Submission;n2558840]I've previously referred to my love of Gloucester Road, and posted photos, and nearby South Kensington is good too, with its entrance and attached underground passage to the local museums.

I lived around the corner from Gloucester Rd station when I first moved to London until Thatcher set about the fair rent act. Spent a lot of time in the pub over the road where the management were up for a lock in too often and the backpackers who formed the Rugby League club that eventually became the London Broncos drank.
        I was in there the night of the KX tube fire. Some awful sights came staggering out of the station and into the pub. The manageress was handing out nips for their nerves all night. Those who could speak simply couldn’t get tell how bad it was. There but for the grace of god go us all I suppose.
        The rememberence plaque at KX is a disgrace.

Comment

The brown cave station above is Rådhuset.

There's a couple other like it as well. One is a blue and white version.

The T-Centralen station on that same line. Most of the Stockholm metro is bog standard cut and cover 1950s concrete rat sewer type job, but one of the new lines is built very deep. Because it's all solid bedrock there, they can just blast out a massive cavern for the station and cover it in concrete and paint it over.

Comment

I think that's absolutely brilliant. And, as an aside, from this angle the trompe l'oeil '3-D' effect of the floor tiling is very effective as well!

Comment

Originally posted by Various Artist View Post
              I think that's absolutely brilliant. And, as an aside, from this angle the trompe l'oeil '3-D' effect of the floor tiling is very effective as well!
              What sort of vandal daubs paint on cave walls?

It's like Lascaux - World Fucking Heritage Site? - My fucking arse

Wasters with nothing better to do than scrawl graffiti on their walls

Comment

Do suburban / local railway stations count?

If so, Wemyss Bay

Comment

Extraordinary place

Comment

Incredible ironwork.

Comment

I still stand by "Chiselton" btw

(Filmed at Tynemouth IIRC)

Comment

Originally posted by Guy Profumo View Post
                        Do suburban / local railway stations count?

If so, Wemyss Bay
                        I worked at the Power Station for a while in very early 90s. The year Motherwell beat Dundee Utd in the Cup Final. Never went into the station though. Stayed at the caravan site above the next little place north Inverkip. We used to get drunk in Largs and try to convince the local girls we were footballers doing courses at the Scottish FAs training centre. They’d obviously heard it all before.
                        Last edited by Sunderporinostesta; 28-01-2022, 21:36.

Comment

None of the subway stations in Tokyo were memorable from what I remember while living there in the 1990s. They didn't have aboveground structures like the Underground.

I don't know if it's my favorite, but below is a station that I am fond of. It's a small station on Montmartre. The only time I used it, I didn't know there was an elevator, so I took the stairs. It was a corkscrew that went down many stories. They had to go own deep there to get to the line because the entrance is on a hill.

If only I knew how to pronounce the name correctly ...

Comment

Yes, I've been down those stairs.

Comment

I've long felt I'd quite like to go down the stairs at Hampstead, the deepest station on the London Underground for the same reason (i.e. the outside is at the top of a hill) – but at some 58m/195ft deep, compared to Abbesses' 36m/118ft, the lifts are the only means of public access unless you're in some sort of emergency-exit situation.

According to Wikipedia, the entrance to Abbesses can be seen near the start of the video for Howard Jones' What Is Love, of all things.

Comment

Heh:

Screencapped just now from the moment Howard starts to sing the first line ("I love you whether or not you love me") of the song. Alas this terrible resolution appears to be the best going, given that it's his official upload on YouTube.
                                Last edited by Various Artist; 29-01-2022, 13:23.

Comment

Isn’t it just pronounced “abbess”?

Comment

The abandoned upper level platforms and tunnels at Highgate are interesting though

Comment

Working...
                                    X