No announcement yet.

War in Ukraine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

True. But NATO membership requires we have them. Clearly there's a loophole that doesn't require them to actually work.

Comment

Isn't one of the ways that Russia could theoretically invade the US is via Canada?

Comment

Ukraine has a bit over 100,000 tractors. Canada has 6 times as many.

Russia doesn't want any of that smoke.

Comment

If the current war is anything to go by, I'd say Russian armour would struggle to get beyond the suburbs of Vladivostok, never mind Vancouver.

Comment

As the Arctic melts away, Canada, US, Denmark and eh Russia are all going to have competing claims on territory/shipping lanes. Having working defensive weapons might be an idea.

Comment

Heh, Denmark.

6513852-unnamed_(14).png

Comment

Yeah, they aren't going to be the winners in that fight.

Comment

Originally posted by Lang Spoon View Post
                  As the Arctic melts away, Canada, US, Denmark and eh Russia are all going to have competing claims on territory/shipping lanes. Having working defensive weapons might be an idea.
                  I'm not a military expert, but I'm not sure that tanks are going to be much use in shipping lanes or melting ice floes.

Comment

Ha, true in the tanks, meant more in general that Canada does need a defensive strategy that isn't really on the neighbour, if their tanks are that shite I doubt their navy is too sharp.

Comment

I think "thousands of miles of uninhabited and uninhabitable soggy melting permafrost that becomes impassably and impossibly cold in winter" is probably a workable defensive strategy that most countries would be OK with.

Comment

Yeah. The only country that's conceivably a threat is to the south. And they could pretty much take us in long weekend if they felt like it, but why would they? They can pretty much have what they want and we'd just be a pain in the arse to manage.

Comment

Right on cue.

Being that the United States or Continental Army has a perfect record of invading the North, I would hope we never cross that line.

Comment

AFAIK we're so terrified no one has dared to report his brain fart locally.

Comment

Fucking hell was talking to a Russian friend of mine last night. Like listening to Putin himself. How depressing.

Comment

I heartily endorse a local health centre's new paint job:

Comment

Yeah, they aren't going to be the winners in that fight.
                                  Well as we've seen over the last little while 75% of any fight Is being able to turn up early and being ready to go, and aside from defence of Denmark the thrust of Danish defence policy is to be able to simultaneously deploy three brigades of 1500 fighting troops to three different continents at short notice, or 5000 men to one place. That's beyond the capabilites of most countries.

That thing about Canada only having a small proportion of their tanks being ready for use, is what most armies are like in practice. Being ready for war at a moments notice is an expensive business and only a country as rich as Denmark can afford that sort of thing.

I don't know just how enthusiastic russia would be about getting into a dispute with denmark. Particularly when they get their f 35s to go with the rest of their cutting edge equipment. No one is going to ever try anything on with them, so the situation isn't going to arise yes the russians could get troops up to the Arctic, but the danes would be guaranteed to have brought shoes and food, and you couldn't guarantee that of the russian army.

It's a similar story with Finland. The Finns spent a very long time treading a fine line between East and west, but the flip side of being worried about Russia invading, is making russia worried about invading, and the Soviets would sooner have taken their chances with west Germany than the Finns before the end of the cold War. A conventional invasion of Finland would have been a horrifically bloody and messy affair.

Comment

Originally posted by The Awesome Berbaslug!!! View Post
                                    A [Russian] conventional invasion of Finland would have been a horrifically bloody and messy affair.
                                    It still would be and the Russians know it. Our armed forces are geared up to fight one enemy -- Russia, and have been so practically since we gained independence. National service is compulsory for all males over the age of 18, and while non-military options are available, few take them up. Putting it another way, in my 30+ years over here I cannot recall knowing even a single eligible person who had not completed their military service. All of which gives us a total call up strength of 280000 upon initial mobilisation and, if we can last long enough, a full call up strength of 900000. Bearing in mind that our population is only some 5.6 million then for all intents and purposes they'll be taking on the whole country.

Nobody deludes themselves that we could defeat Russia in a straight fight, we can't and they can grind us through sheer numbers in the manner they're currently trying in Ukraine. What we can do, however, is carry the threat of such heavy casualties to the Russians that it removes their wanting to invade us.

Comment

Seymour Hersh

Last June, the Navy divers, operating under the cover of a widely publicized mid-summer NATO exercise known as BALTOPS 22, planted the remotely triggered explosives that, three months later, destroyed three of the four Nord Stream pipelines, according to a source with direct knowledge of the operational planning.

Two of the pipelines, which were known collectively as Nord Stream 1, had been providing Germany and much of Western Europe with cheap Russian natural gas for more than a decade. A second pair of pipelines, called Nord Stream 2, had been built but were not yet operational. Now, with Russian troops massing on the Ukrainian border and the bloodiest war in Europe since 1945 looming, President Joseph Biden saw the pipelines as a vehicle for Vladimir Putin to weaponize natural gas for his political and territorial ambitions.

Asked for comment, Adrienne Watson, a White House spokesperson, said in an email, “This is false and complete fiction.” Tammy Thorp, a spokesperson for the Central Intelligence Agency, similarly wrote: “This claim is completely and utterly false.”

Biden’s decision to sabotage the pipelines came after more than nine months of highly secret back and forth debate inside Washington’s national security community about how to best achieve that goal. For much of that time, the issue was not whether to do the mission, but how to get it done with no overt clue as to who was responsible.

There was a vital bureaucratic reason for relying on the graduates of the center’s hardcore diving school in Panama City. The divers were Navy only, and not members of America’s Special Operations Command, whose covert operations must be reported to Congress and briefed in advance to the Senate and House leadership—the so-called Gang of Eight. The Biden Administration was doing everything possible to avoid leaks as the planning took place late in 2021 and into the first months of 2022.

Comment

After the shit Hersh has pulled over Syria, I'm.... unconvinced.

Comment

After the shit Hersh has pulled over Syria, I'm.... unconvinced.
                                          I've no idea what did or didn't happen in Syria- and I expect neither have you. But let's agree that he was wrong.

It doesn't alter the fact that his sources, and his record, on several other cases from My Lai to Abu Ghraib have been pretty good.

The narrative makes sense to me. It certainly never seemed to add up that Russia blew up their own pipeline.

But then I've read the piece. Have you?
                                          Last edited by Nefertiti2; 08-02-2023, 19:03.

Comment

I would be massively surprised if anyone other than Russia blew that pipeline up.
                                            As arrogant as the US can be I can't believe they would take that kind of action in EU territory without prior consultation. Maybe under Trump, but not otherwise.

Comment

Originally posted by Nefertiti2 View Post

I've no idea what did or didn't happen in Syria- and I expect neither have you.
                                              oh come on, that's utter shit. You might as well start the Clare Daly shit about white helmets or Bellingcat. There's plenty of verifiable fucking evidence out there about what happened in Syria.

Comment

Originally posted by Sean of the Shed View Post
                                                I would be massively surprised if anyone other than Russia blew that pipeline up.
                                                As arrogant as the US can be I can't believe they would take that kind of action in EU territory without prior consultation. Maybe under Trump, but not otherwise.
                                                This. I have read his shitty article of unattributed nonsense now, and it makes no fucking sense whatsoever.

Comment

oh come on, that's utter shit. You might as well start the Clare Daly shit about white helmets or Bellingcat. There's plenty of verifiable fucking evidence out there about what happened in Syria.
                                                  Do I believe that Asssad is capable of using chemical weapons against his own people? yes

Do I believe the US or MI6 is capabla fabricating a story like that. Also yes

Is Bellingcat funded by MI6. Indubitably

Have I ever read anything by Calre Daly. no.

Do I think the US sabotaqed Nordstream ?- on the basis of Cui Bono it seems most likely.

Comment

see eg the hints dropped in other papers Times and NYT this week

https://twitter.com/SolHughesWriter/status/1623391082678558720?s=20&t=xIui2QEaucsi8kq1bcC6-g

Comment

Working...
                                                    X