X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Advent Calendars - 2021 thread

Happy 1st December

Behind the doors today were:

A tiny model of the Mandalorian's spaceship (The Razor Crest) from the Star Wars Lego advent calendar.

A picture of Little My using an umbrella as a parachute behind the Moomin advent calendar produced by Oxfam. (I think was released last year and Mrs Thistle bought it after Christmas and kept it until this year)

Standard ones for us this year - I have a Maltesers one, the wife a Galaxy one, older two have Dairy Milk buttons and younger two have Freddo (they love Freddo ever since my uncle bought them Freddo Easter Eggs with actual cuddly toy Freddos)

Comment

We have three.

Behind the door of the Walkers Shortbread one there was a piece of Walkers shortbread (I have no reason to suspect that this will ever be different on any other day)

Behind the door of the Nespresso one was the fairly standard Venezia Lungo which the missus had to start the day with a nice piece of shortbread.

Behind the door of the Bonne Maman one - the most exciting of this year's - was a strawberry and rhubarb jam which mixed beautifully into the yogurt that I had on this morning's berries.

Comment

We used to have one, but this is pretty much a chocolate-free residence now.

Comment

I am looking forward to a daily jam update San Bernardhinault

Mrs Thistle has a Playmobil one building a scene from Back to the Future III. Today's was.a dog. She also has one that gives you a Mister Men book every day.

Comment

My mum still gets me one every year. She got me a cheese one this year.

Comment

I missed the window this year for decent advent calendars, though I didn't really want to spend $40 on a Pokemon figure calendar, never mind the $80 secondary. The kids got some cheap chocolate ones. The elf arrived today with a CDC vaccination card (last year he spent a good few days in quarantine in a jar awaiting his COVID test results).

Comment

I got the Bonne Maman jam one too, though I'm waiting till the kids get home from school to open it.

Comment

Originally posted by S. aureus View Post
                  I got the Bonne Maman jam one too, though I'm waiting till the kids get home from school to open it.
                  They are going to be jelly.

Comment

We've got one for the dog - heart shaped chicken and rice crunchy thing today which went down well.

Comment

We had one for the cats last year with treats in it. They hated the treats and didn't bother eating them. Either Aldi make bad cat treats or cats have a bah-humbug attitude to the festive season.

Comment

We've got a Zooplus cat treat one for the moggy - he fairly demolished the dried chicken nibbles that were behind door 1.

Mrs b has a l'occitane one and got some nice-smelling hand cream.

Comment

We have done our own again this year. Last year, I bought a felt pocket style one and filled it with random treats. Same again this year.

I had a Crunchie and my partner had a Flake today (mini sizes, not full chocolate bars). We just decide who gets what treat on the day.

Comment

The jam advent calendar sounds great!

Comment

A friend has collected 24 Pringles tubes and turned them into a beer advent calendar for her partner. Basically a can or bottle of beer in each tube.

Comment

A day late and a dollar short, we were given Lindt chocolate Advent calendars by work yesterday, which was nice.

However, I secured my own, a good, old fashioned one with Baby Gee dead centre and the usual suspects crowding round without a thought for social distancing or mask wearing.

What I didn't know when I bought it is the picture is actually of the stained glass Nativity from the Notre Dame de Rosaire Church in Saint-Ouen.

Even better, behind each window is a detail from a religious paining, yesterday was "Detail from Angel in Glory (Anon)", today we have "Annunciation (Detail) by Fra Angelico." Plus the back of the window has an extract from the Gospels (Luke 1:26 and Luke 1:30 thus far).

I am absolutely chuffed considering it was a spur of the moment purchase from Panda Cards, St Albans (independent card shop).

Mind you, if I'd have given this to my dear old Gran, she would have exploded in religious fervour, bless her.

Comment

Signora Rogin got a £1 Cadbury Dairy Milk one from Morrisons. I spoil her.

Comment

The cheese calendar again for me this year. Every day there is cheese, and a joke. Yesterday's joke:

Why can't you make clothes out of cheese?

Comment

Do the spoiler tags not work? Or am I doing something wrong?

Comment

You could write it in white text instead?

As it is, I can see the answer only by clicking "quote"

Comment

Originally posted by TonTon View Post
                                          The cheese calendar again for me this year. Every day there is cheese, and a joke. Yesterday's joke:

Why can't you make clothes out of cheese?

and what about chessecloth?

Comment

My brother has bought us a Laithwaites one this year. We are going to try to save them up for a tasting day. I’m not quite at the stage of drinking wine every morning. Yet.

Maybe try to spread that over a few days actually at 187 ml x 24.

Comment

We have a wooden one for the cub that we fill up every year with chocolate coins, Lindt balls and jelly snakes. He seems to like it.
                                              As P and I had our birthdays recently and we both don't really need or want anything I got her a Net-a-Porter advent calendar for her birthday.

I don't have one myself.

I do think it's important to to repost this picture though. It comes up every years on the equivalent thread.

Comment

What picture?

Comment

Day 2: Snufkin & a spaceship I don't recognise, possibly one briefly seen in The Mandalorian. It's yellow (mainly)

Comment

Working...
                                                  X