Dishes with names similar enough to confuse you

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dishes with names similar enough to confuse you

Chicken (Tikka) Masala - the creamy mild tomato and onion based curry, often sweetened with coconut or almonds, apparently Britain's favourite.

Chicken Marsala - fried chicken breasts in a garlic, mushroom and sherry sauce.

Chicken Tarka, like the Tikka but a little otter.

Comment

All of those "chicken-fried" North American dishes that don't contain chicken, or do contain chicken, or sometimes contain chicken.

Comment

Tortilla - a dish made from eggs and potatoes
        Tortilla - a flatbread

Comment

I suppose the list of transatlantic divides in dishes with the same name would be quite long both in English and Spanish (and probably Portuguese too).

Comment

Not just transatlantic - tészta in Hungary is pasta, while in Transylvanian Hungarian it means cake. It;s very confusing.

Comment

The various sausages called chorizo and chourico have messed with me. I remember getting utterly screwed by US chorizo when trying to cook something that was meant to use the Spanish stuff.

Comment

"Hunter's chicken" in an English pub usually means some concoction involving chicken, bacon, cheese and barbecue sauce, which bears absolutely no relation to "chicken cacciatore". That always annoys me.

Comment

It took me far too long to know the difference between tiramisu and taramasalata.

Comment

Originally posted by treibeis View Post
                    All of those "chicken-fried" North American dishes that don't contain chicken, or do contain chicken, or sometimes contain chicken.
                    The only dish like that I know of is chicken-fried steak. I’ve never eaten it or met anyone who has eaten it.

Comment

Originally posted by 3 Colours Red View Post
                      It took me far too long to know the difference between tiramisu and taramasalata.
                      You'd think it would only be a mistake you'd make once

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post

The only dish like that I know of is chicken-fried steak. I’ve never eaten it or met anyone who has eaten it.
                        I've had chicken fried steak. Usually it's pretty terrible because it's usually cheap and served in diners and the meat is poor quality. Chicken fried pork is usually better.

I find the existence of "chicken fried chicken" to be more baffling. I had it, but it's basically fried chicken and doesn't need the adjective. I've seen, but not had, chicken fried turkey and chicken fried tofu.

Comment

Egg fried rice could confuse someone if they subscribed to the "chicken fried steak" theory of language. You would expect rice fried the same way you fry an egg.

Of course, if you subscribe to the "pan-fried sea bass" theory of language, both egg fried rice and chicken fried steak would be utterly baffling.

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post

No, no. One of you lot on here said that there's "chicken-fried chicken".

Comment

Chicken fried means "in batter" right. So, schnitzel is chicken fried, in this parlance?

Comment

"Chicken fried" means fried like chicken, so usually breaded either with breadcrumbs or just flour. But some people also use cornflakes or ritz crackers when they are chicken frying to get more crunchiness. I think the one thing it's not is battered.

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
                                  Chicken fried means "in batter" right. So, schnitzel is chicken fried, in this parlance?
                                  Sometimes it means that, sometimes it means "coq-au-vin with sautéed potatoes and corn salad corn". Unless you're from the Midwest, which they all are, then it means something else.

Comment

We did the whole "chicken fried" scam not so long ago. I was shocked, I tell you. But then yer US does a lot of weird food lying stuff, innit.

Comment

Pepperoni and pepperonata offered as pizza toppings.

Comment

Balalaika - a tasty pastry to round off the meal
                                        Baklava - a musical instrument to ruin the meal

Comment

Scallops and scollops

And of course, fishcakes and fishcakes, depending on location

Last edited by Guy Profumo; 28-11-2021, 16:46.

Comment

Originally posted by S. aureus View Post
                                            Tortilla - a dish made from eggs and potatoes
                                            Tortilla - a flatbread
                                            First time I encountered tortillas they were crisps, Phileas Fogg brand almost definitely.

Comment

We've done chicken fried steak recently, and I have eaten it (I did live in Texas for a while). It could be perfectly acceptable. I've also had chicken fried chicken (and would agree that the first chicken is rather superfluous). I must confess that I do like the name, though, so it gets a pass in my book.

Comment

Originally posted by San Bernardhinault View Post

I've had chicken fried steak. Usually it's pretty terrible because it's usually cheap and served in diners and the meat is poor quality. Chicken fried pork is usually better.

I find the existence of "chicken fried chicken" to be more baffling. I had it, but it's basically fried chicken and doesn't need the adjective. I've seen, but not had, chicken fried turkey and chicken fried tofu.
                                                I think “chicken-fried chicken” is supposed to be a joke. I’ve never seen that on a menu.

Fried turkey is just fried Turkey. Lots of people are buying those Turkey fryers but it seems like more danger than it could be worth.

Comment

They don't have similar names, but I have no idea what the difference between a prawn and a shrimp really is.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X