English to German translation challenge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

English to German translation challenge

Question for OTF's fluent Germanists. How would you translate the phrase "by no stretch of the imagination..."?

Well, I'd go for "BY!.....NO!.....STRETCH!....OF!.....THE!....IMAGI NATION!" and I suspect that most of my countrymen would follow suit.

Comment

You wouldn't try to do a mock German accent? BY NO STRETCH OF ZE IMAGINATION!?

Comment

Something like "klar nichts zu glauben", which I am thinking is more "obviously beyond belief", but gets your sense across? Or 'voll unglaublich', maybe? I would be happy with either getting my meaning across in conversation, but perhaps not in a legal document or literary translation. But then I probably haven't spent a month in the Teutosphere in total in my life, so let's wait and see!

Comment

Or is it more that you are trying to express your extreme reluctance to attend the Scorpions concert?

Comment

"By nein stretchen auf der imaginanenen"

Comment

Originally posted by Nocturnal Submission View Post
              "By nein stretchen auf der imaginanenen"

I believe Herr Nocto sits in front of a prominent German speaking journalist at Stamford Bridge

Comment

The bastard blocking software that my employer has loaded on to my work laptop not only removes many images, videos etc but often fails to indicate that there was anything there in the first place. So it’s only now, as I revisit this thread from my mobile, that I can see NS’s video to give context to the text of his post.

Comment

Originally posted by Duncan Gardner View Post

I believe Herr Nocto sits in front of a prominent German speaking journalist at Stamford Bridge

Actually, I'm not sure if he hasn't moved elsewhere, not that I tend to look behind me very much at games, so he might still be there.

Comment

Wembley-Tor

Comment

First thing that comes to mind is "nicht anhaltsweise" or "bei weitem nicht", but I'm sure there's something better that, ahem, captures the imagination.

Comment

OK, how about "beim besten Willen nicht"? That would do it.

Comment

beim besten Willen nicht"
                          I like that, thanks AB.

Comment

I'd opt for "gänzlich unvorstellbar", which would also be a fairly direct translation.

Comment

Thanks G-Man, great to have a view from a native speaker! Would that work in the context of "By no stretch of the imagination does he look like George Clooney"?

Comment

Originally posted by Evariste Euler Gauss View Post
                                Thanks G-Man, great to have a view from a native speaker! Would that work in the context of "By no stretch of the imagination does he look like George Clooney"?
                                "Einen Scheiß sieht er aus wie George Clooney."

Comment

Contextually, treibeis' colloquallism catches the spirit well. More formally, I'd suggest Alderman's "beim besten Willen sieht er nicht wie Clooney aus". My translation would work for, "By no stretch of the imagination will Man Utd win the league this season" = "Es ist gänzlich unvorstellbar, dass Man Utd diese Saison Meister wird".

Comment

Originally posted by G-Man View Post
                                    Contextually, treibeis' colloquallism catches the spirit well. More formally, I'd suggest Alderman's "beim besten Willen sieht er nicht wie Clooney aus". My translation would work for, "By no stretch of the imagination will Man Utd win the league this season" = "Es ist gänzlich unvorstellbar, dass Man Utd diese Saison Meister wird".
                                    If anybody said "gänzlich unvorstellbar" at the hut, they'd get their head kicked in for being a boffin.

Comment

If the Astraschlürfer you are surrounded by are in a physical state to execute such manouevres, or equipped to understand words with more than one syllable other than Moinmoin, then that's probably true.

Comment

Originally posted by G-Man View Post
                                        If the Astraschlürfer you are surrounded by are in a physical state to execute such manouevres, or equipped to understand words with more than one syllable other than Moinmoin, then that's probably true.
                                        They're equipped to understand words with more than one syllable, they just don't use such words themselves. It's all "Jop", "Nö", "Kann sein", "Wenn du meinst", "Am Dupps", that sort of thing. An exception is made when addressing somebody by their name, as most forenames are polysyllabic.

None of them say, "Moin Moin", as people who say that are considered to be "Schnacker". It's always just "Moin".

And most of them drink Dithmarscher, not Astra (although, due to the syllables rule, it's referred to as "Dith").
                                        Last edited by treibeis; 29-11-2021, 07:40.

Comment

Working...
                                        X