The wisdom of the Solomons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The wisdom of the Solomons

Parts of Honiara on fire after crowds marched on the parliament. Partly in response to the government switching their allegiance from Taiwan to China

Oh dear. You spent time there didn't you?

Comment

No actually, never been there. Just living in the Pacific (I lived in the fsm) you get to hear about the various countries and some of their issues

Comment

My mistake. Just as we hear a lot about PNG I guess.

Comment

And tying both countries together is the issue of Bougainvillean independence - the inhabitants are Melanesians, related to the Solomon Islanders, and while the referendum was held two years ago now, the result may take a few more years to be implemented.

Comment

Resurrecting this thread as the Solomons have now become suddenly of note to the outside world having signed a security agreement with China. Government apparently behaving very secretively and democracy at risk. Maybe there will be a Chinese military base there which has spooked Australia somewhat.

(it's also not escaped people's notice that while we rightly talk of Eastern European countries right to join a security pact such as NATO, it is somewhat hypocritical to then criticise another nation of doing the same, just with a partner we don't like)

Comment

Working...
            X