No announcement yet.

The Laboratories of Democracy: US state and local politics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just noticed this: "California Proposition 29. Regulates staffing of kidney dialysis clinics."

Fuck it, why have government at all, just put everything to referendum.

Comment

I'm watching the BBC's Midterms election programme.

John King on CNN just makes my head hurt.

Comment

That text isn't the half of the crap that has been thrown out there about no-cash bail.

Comment

It isn't about the words

Comment

But it is Chicago - it is blatantly obvious all the time what they are harping at. It isn't like any of it is lost on anyone. It is kind of refreshing that they were honest rather than speaking in the laziest code ever.

Comment

https://twitter.com/Eclectablog/status/1590139269649399808?s=20&t=QiNrCuysIWMGDZGTPh0QhQ

Comment

Ok, I'll forgive Harbaugh for beating RU 82-0 in Piscataway.

Dems win 2 extra governorships early, Repukes win a CuntSantis gerrymeandered Florida seat to go up 1.

Praying Warnock wins....up huge early, because I love that Warnock-Ossoff tag team.

Comment

CuntSantis won 2 seats for Florida.

Comment

It's just hard to fathom what a shithole Florida is.

I talked to a guy a church the other day who is married to a woman who was my camp counselor when I was 14. They're actually very nice people. But I think he bends a bit right. He was a State Cop.

Anyway, he tells me they're moving to Florida to live in The Villages.

I'm really proud of myself for how smoothly I suppressed the impulse to tell him I thought that was the worst idea I've ever heard. His mom lives there, so I guess that makes sense, but Jesus...They're still looking for a house, however. The prices are not favorable.

Comment

So the 5 Senate East Coasters:

Warnock (D) up 53.5-44.9 with 11% in Georgia.
                      Cheri Beasley (D) up 52.3-46 with 10.2% in North Cackalacky.
                      Big John Fetterman (D) up 82-16% in Pennsy.
                      Maggie Hassan (D) up 61-36.9% in New Hampshire.
                      Tim Ryan (D) up in Ohio, with like 1 or 2% reporting.

Comment

Interesting in Georgia. with Warnock up 6 points in the Senate...Stacy Abrahams down 1....same vote percentage returned.

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post
                          It's just hard to fathom what a shithole Florida is.

I talked to a guy a church the other day who is married to a woman who was my camp counselor when I was 14. They're actually very nice people. But I think he bends a bit right. He was a State Cop.

Anyway, he tells me they're moving to Florida to live in The Villages.

I'm really proud of myself for how smoothly I suppressed the impulse to tell him I thought that was the worst idea I've ever heard. His mom lives there, so I guess that makes sense, but Jesus...They're still looking for a house, however. The prices are not favorable.
                          CuntSantis gerrymeandered 3 seats now.

Comment

Originally posted by anton pulisov View Post
                            Just noticed this: "California Proposition 29. Regulates staffing of kidney dialysis clinics."

Fuck it, why have government at all, just put everything to referendum.
                            It's the third time I've had to vote on this.

Comment

Florida seems to be completely Republican now. There are a lot of other states to be considered swings, but which I think are more likely to be Republican than Democrat in 2024 (NC, Ohio, Arizona, etc). The Democrats start out with a more solid map, but give Florida, Texas and Georgia to the Republicans, and the Democrats suddenly need to have a lot of things break for them.

Comment

Our political system is so profoundly fucked.

"The crime you see now, it's hard to even take its measure. It's not that I'm afraid of it. I always knew you had to be willin' to die to even do this job. but I don't want to push my chips forward and go out and meet somethin' I don't understand. A man would have to put his soul at hazard. He'd have to say: 'Okay, I'll be part of this world.'"

Comment

Originally posted by jason voorhees View Post
                                  Interesting in Georgia. with Warnock up 6 points in the Senate...Stacy Abrahams down 1....same vote percentage returned.
                                  It's weird how many split-ticket situations there might be - Georgia, Pennsylvania, New Hampshire, Arizona and others all have that possibility today.

Comment

Originally posted by San Bernardhinault View Post

It's weird how many split-ticket situations there might be - Georgia, Pennsylvania, New Hampshire, Arizona and others all have that possibility today.
                                    Northern New England is weird like that.

If Shapiro wins, and nobody seems to think he won't, I won't have a crisis.

I do think Trump might win in 2024 and as bad as that is, it will also hasten the end of this profoundly shitty part of US history. It may also hasten the end of the US, which is fine too. We had a decent run.

Comment

Interesting Governors race up in Maine.

Douchebag Paul LePage is back from the dead and challenging incumbent Janet Mills. He had won 2 terms in a row, then was term-limited from running again, but could come back after sitting out a term.

He's losing by 20% early with 7% reporting. That may have a Susan Collins backlash written all over it.

Warnock holding strong in Georgia Senate, Beasley just went down 1 in NC with 44.4% reporting.
                                      Last edited by jason voorhees; 09-11-2022, 02:18.

Comment

Oh my.

Hadn't paid attention the past 22 years, or to any other Senator from Idaho who didn't have a wide stance. That we know of at least.

Hadn't seen the name of the Idaho Senate incumbent running tonight.

Screen Shot 2022-11-08 at 9.26.29 PM.png

Comment

Florida

https://twitter.com/cristymsilva/status/1590156416421367808?s=20&t=rMFMEYIc8YsQ1sRFl3w5HA

Comment

Spannberger holds VA-7, which was a prime GOP target

Comment

That's a good result.

Comment

I'm going to try and stop looking for the night. Looks like the end result is roughly going to be what was expected. A small Republican gain. And the senate will be a knife edge for a while probably.

Comment

Not wanting to be Guy, but we did cover how the Republicans are campaigning about fixing Texas.... after about 25 years+ of full political control?

Comment

Yeah, hope to wake up to see John Mofuggin Fetterman the new Senator of Pennsy.

Night.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X