No announcement yet.

The Laboratories of Democracy: US state and local politics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

https://twitter.com/warfare_class/status/1570469851042381824?s=20&t=MLwDboctHWceR3AFKPBtaA

Comment

I've been very pleased by how the locals here have handled it. Admittedly, you'd hardly find a better spot than Martha's Vineyard which is basically packed with rich liberals on vacation with too much time on their hands so of course they'll look after the asylum seekers.

The response has generally been "Yes, of course we'll treat these people with the respect they're due, unlike you vile piece of human trafficking shit".

Comment

Not that it matters to DeSantis. He doesn't care about the policy. He doesn't care if Massachusetts welcomes them with open arms. It's all about messaging for his upcoming presidential primary, and his primary electorate only care about one thing, which is pwning teh libtards. And they'll all think that this is a win on that front because nobody will point out the reality to them.

Comment

Thus the videographer

Comment

https://twitter.com/bisforberkshire/status/1571637163514630145?s=21&t=r3X2q_i7oPBMGWeFcnUDPA

Comment

https://twitter.com/rickperlstein/status/1571860314613751808?s=20&t=gEPfRdzdPPlMhmYuqPIzmQ

Comment

Staggeringly inept to actually put your lies in writing in pursuit of a criminal act, yet that appears to be the case here.

Comment

It certainly seems illegal. But who is going to get prosecuted, and where, and what would the penalties actually be? You can be sure that DeSantis isn't getting locked up for this.

I do find it to be an absolute staggering cock-up by him to use Venezuelan asylum seekers for this stunt, though. Surely "people fleeing a commie regime* in Latin America" are a core constituency of Florida Republicanism and suggesting that they shouldn't be coming and shouldn't be being looked after has to be at least a little damaging to him. There are surely more than enough people who've crossed the border who wouldn't cast quite such a striking similarity.

* yes, I know, but in the parlance of Florida Republicans this is what they believe.

Comment

Do you understand that that is not a simple question and that qualified people are working on it right now, including by lobbying DOJ to open a formal investigation?

And again with locking people up. It is tiresome (and makes any efforts seem Quixotic).

Comment

I really mean to ask, what are the consequences if it's illegal? Obviously, nobody's getting locked up. But a law that exists without penalties is not going to have much deterrent effect on the likes of DeSantis. So I was just wondering. If there is a case does this get prosecuted in Florida or Texas or Massachusetts? Is it a federal or state case? And who is the target? Is it DeSantis for fabricating this scheme or is it - presumably more likely - his underlings who had to implement it?
                      Last edited by San Bernardhinault; 19-09-2022, 16:11.

Comment

Meanwhile, I know that people try and set expectations low heading into political debates so that even if they're a bit useless people will think "Yeah, but not as bad as I thought they'd be".

But perhaps Herchel Walker is overdoing that with this admission:

I'm not that smart. He's a preacher. (Warnock) is smart and wears these nice suits. So, he is going to show up and embarrass me at the debate Oct. 14th, and I'm just waiting to show up and I will do my best

Comment

We don't fucking know

Every one of the questions you raise requires research, thought and judgement and isn't going to be answered in a single news cycle

It isn't fucking Law and Order

Comment

Originally posted by San Bernardhinault View Post
                            Yes... but... I still really wish that the Democrats hadn't got involved. In NH as in many other places, they were sticking their oars in to try and get more extremist, trumpier opponents for the general election on the assumption that they'll be easier to beat. Apparently forgetting how gleeful they were at having Trump as opponent in 2016. It may be good to have bad opponents, but if the bad opponent still wins then we're even more fucked than before. I really hope Democrat interference hasn't created an even more extreme House and Senate for next year.

That said, I would be surprised if Hassan loses the NH Senate seat given how little cash Bolduc has and how useless he appears to have been so far - not just Trumpy but also just useless.
                            This isn’t an endorsement of the strategy, since as you noted it can always backfire.

But the Trumpkins aren’t Trump, and the opponents aren’t usually Hillary either.

Comment

Originally posted by San Bernardhinault View Post
                              I've been very pleased by how the locals here have handled it. Admittedly, you'd hardly find a better spot than Martha's Vineyard which is basically packed with rich liberals on vacation with too much time on their hands so of course they'll look after the asylum seekers.

The response has generally been "Yes, of course we'll treat these people with the respect they're due, unlike you vile piece of human trafficking shit".
                              those migrants must be loving it, they got transported from Texas (because DeSantis couldn’t find any actual illegals in FL to round up) to the closest thing in America to heaven.

Comment

Not sure that I've heard Joint Base Cape Cod described that way, but evidently the Venezuelan communities in and around Boston have been mobilised and legal representation found.

I'm also curious to see how this plays with the estimated 200,000 Venezuelans in Florida, who have been pro-DeSantis until now.

Comment

That point about the Venezuelans in Florida (and also the Cubans, to some extent) was the other one I was getting at. It seems to be a really daft move for Florida politics. I know DeSantis is basically ignoring Florida politics these days and his entire act is to appeal to the 2024 Republican primary electorate. But he's still in a semi-competitive gubernatorial race this year that it's possible for him to fuck up, and if he loses that then he's lost a lot of his potential appeal for '24.

Comment

Right. So now we know that the migrants themselves are bringing a class-action lawsuit against DeSantis and his secretary of transport. As I observed, taking a bunch of migrants - apparently illegally - to the vacation island of very rich, liberal lawyers might not be the brightest move in the book. I suppose it achieves the goal of keeping immigration as being part of the news cycle, but the downside might start to outweigh the upside.

Also, another apparently foolish move was DeSantis sending his coyotes to recruit these people in a different Democratic jurisdiction. They appear to have been in Bexar County, which is basically San Antonio. And even in Texas the big cities are very Democratic, and have a Democrat sheriff. Who is now also investigating what he calls apparent crimes - both on a county level, which he can prosecute, and potentially federally.

It is no surprise that DeSantis and his team suddenly got a bad case of The Fear with their plan to traffic more people to Delaware to plonk them in front of Biden's house, and the plane they chartered for it seems to have landed with no passengers on.

Comment

Yes, the wheels are turning.

So far, we have the civil suit seeking class action status in Massachusetts, the DOJ investigation for violations of Federal criminal law (which has just started and will take a while before involving a grand jury, if it ever gets to that point) and the sheriff's investigation in Brexar County (San Antonio), which could ultimately lead to charges under Texas criminal law.

I am very curious as to where they have stashed the Venezuelan "coyote" who convinced them to get on the plane. She would be the prosecution's primary target in their attempt to go further up the chain.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                                        Not sure that I've heard Joint Base Cape Cod described that way, but evidently the Venezuelan communities in and around Boston have been mobilised and legal representation found.

I'm also curious to see how this plays with the estimated 200,000 Venezuelans in Florida, who have been pro-DeSantis until now.
                                        I posted that before they got moved to the joint base, but I still maintain that point. Where would you rather start your new life in America? Texas or the Cape? Easy choice for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Flynnie View Post
                                          I posted that before they got moved to the joint base, but I still maintain that point. Where would you rather start your new life in America? Texas or the Cape? Easy choice for me.
                                          But Texas would have had a mechanism in place for claiming asylum there, after which they would be free to move around but would need to meet legal appointments and check-ins. I doubt the Cape has that asylum process (at least for people arriving in another state) so, as I understand it, their applications have been jeopardized unless an exception is going to be made.

In any case, Texas is stolen land, as is the whole continent.
                                          Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 21-09-2022, 13:09.

Comment

Massachusetts has immigration courts and related infrastructure and can certainly conduct the necessary proceedings, but the issue in that regard is that such proceedings had already begun in Texas, and they will miss court dates if they can't get back to Texas.

A large majority of the migrants who successfully cross the border have a very good idea of their preferred destination in the US and have been in contact with people in those locations.

Very few of those entering Texas will have planned to go to Massachusetts and I would bet that zero would have planned to go to the Vineyard two weeks after the season was over and more than half of the establishments have closed.

Comment

https://twitter.com/steve_vladeck/status/1572583788991107072?s=20&t=2EG33M8XVAsOeQ9z0WvlSg

Comment

Originally posted by Flynnie View Post
                                                It changes pretty quickly when you have an immigration court appearance scheduled for Monday in Texas.

Comment

https://twitter.com/gbbranstetter/status/1572963117193170945?s=21&t=vvzVzVelrGUcxXwQsFs-Hw

Comment

Working...
                                                  X