Incongruous shops near you

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by treibeis View Post
    When these 'many' 'British people' 'lose their shit', what do they do exactly?

"We went into this pub, right, and they saw we was English and they all started speaking Welsh!!! It was really rude!!!"

Or the guy on a bus who shouted at a woman of colour she should "speak English in are country!!!" until someone else told him he was in Wales and she was speaking Welsh.

And the constant fuss about Bilingual road signs being confusing. FML.

Comment

Originally posted by Nurse Duckett View Post

A Co-Op just around the corner though, right? (winky thing)
      Yes, you know exactly where I'm talking about

Comment

There's a street a few minutes from here which at the corner has a corner shop (as you'd expect) next to a wedding dress shop that looks approximately 20 times too poncey for the neighbourhood, never mind being in the middle of a residential area with no footfall and no other shops for miles. They've been in business for years so the location is obviously working out for them (??)

Comment

Originally posted by TonTon View Post
          There's another problem which is that "speaking Chinese" isn't a thing.
          I don't know what this means.

Comment

Mandarin, ,Cantonese, etc are language.

Chinese is not.

Comment

Yes, I know there are distinct languages and then dialects within languages, I've been around them (and feebly studied Mandarin) all my adult life. But that doesn't make "speaking Chinese" an un-thing. Not that it's up to non-Chinese speakers to tell them.

https://thespinoff.co.nz/tv/06-10-20...ision-history/

Comment

When I lived in Brooklyn, the local Artisanal Mayonnaise store was next to a bike shop.

Comment

That's interesting, tee rex

You generally wouldn't see that usage over here

I personally know some Cantonese speakers who are very cross with any claim that Mandarin is Chinese, especially if it comes from Beijing.
                  Last edited by ursus arctos; 06-10-2021, 20:09.

Comment

There's a block on the waterfront in New Westminster that contains nothing but stores selling wedding dresses to Chinese customers.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post

"We went into this pub, right, and they saw we was English and they all started speaking Welsh!!! It was really rude!!!"

Or the guy on a bus who shouted at a woman of colour she should "speak English in are country!!!" until someone else told him he was in Wales and she was speaking Welsh.

And the constant fuss about Bilingual road signs being confusing. FML.
                      All right, I know there are people who do and say shit like that, yes. And I've not been to Britain for over ten years, so what do I know about now?

But I grew up with 99% Welsh family, north and south, and was there a lot. The Welsh speakers spoke Welsh, the non-Welsh-speakers, of course, didn't (not only within the family, but also in pubs, on buses, wherever).

I can't remember anybody commenting on it, one way or the other. It just was.

Comment

Do all the Welsh speakers speak English? Or are there any / many Welsh-only speakers?

Comment

Originally posted by treibeis View Post
                          All right, I know there are people who do and say shit like that, yes. And I've not been to Britain for over ten years, so what do I know about now?

But I grew up with 99% Welsh family, north and south, and was there a lot. The Welsh speakers spoke Welsh, the non-Welsh-speakers, of course, didn't (not only within the family, but also in pubs, on buses, wherever).

I can't remember anybody commenting on it, one way or the other. It just was.
                          Quite. locally signage is in English and French (by law) but frequently also in Chinese, Korean, Gurmukhi, and Tagalog. Also, increasingly, the evolved text of whichever indigenous nation one happens to be on. Haven't heard anyone make a squeak since the last Québec referendum.

Last edited by Amor de Cosmos; 06-10-2021, 20:35.

Comment

The Bloc still makes a thing of it whenever they need attention or votes

Comment

In Québec yes, among residents who never travel elsewhere I guess.

Comment

WOM I think if you're going to find any Welsh-only speakers, they'll most likely be in Gwynedd IMHO. Isolated, sparsely populated, fiercely patriotic. I've felt slightly uneasy there with my extremely rusty schoolboy Welsh.

I think a quarter of a percent of people living in Wales are said not to speak any English at all, but that figure includes all other languages.
                                Last edited by 3 Colours Red; 06-10-2021, 20:42.

Comment

Originally posted by 3 Colours Red View Post
                                  WOM I think if you're going to find any Welsh-only speakers, they'll most likely be in Gwynedd IMHO. Isolated, sparsely populated, fiercely patriotic. I've felt slightly uneasy there with my extremely rusty schoolboy Welsh.

I think a quarter of a percent of people living in Wales are said not to speak any English at all, but that figure includes all other languages.
                                  Ah, thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by 3 Colours Red View Post

Actually the highest percentage of first language Welsh speakers is in Carmarthenshire. I was very surprised when I found that out. I've observed an outpatients clinic in Bangor conducted in Welsh. It's surprising how many people think in Welsh and translate in their head.

Obviously treibeis may have never witnessed any derogatory comments made about Welsh, people speaking Welsh, or Welsh requirements. As ever with these things YMMV. But there are regularly rows about Welsh language requirements being "stupid" or people promoting Welsh being described as "language nazis" and so on.

Comment

Originally posted by Fussbudget View Post
                                      There's a street a few minutes from here which at the corner has a corner shop (as you'd expect) next to a wedding dress shop that looks approximately 20 times too poncey for the neighbourhood, never mind being in the middle of a residential area with no footfall and no other shops for miles. They've been in business for years so the location is obviously working out for them (??)
                                      Similarly when I was at junior school my friend's family opened a saddlery shop in a little row of shops which also contained a hairdresser's and a newsagent (they took over the newsagent's old shop when it moved into the new bigger unit the other side of the hairdresser's). It was on a side street in a housing estate with very little passing traffic, and probably on the wrong side of town to be handy for whoever owned horses in the area, but they seemed to do a good trade, and it was still going until a few years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by Fussbudget View Post
                                        Straight over the back from us are twin mens' and womens' wedding hire shops. No other shops round about, but weekends they get plenty cars double parked outside. So successful the scumbag* had a Rolls for a while, now settles for a personalised no. plate 4x4.

*having a Rolls may not make him scum in your view (does in mine) but he reported us to the police for pruning a tree 'without his permission' (it's our tree, in our garden), claims there were nesting birds (there weren't) and he cares so much about trees and birds, his garden has...none, unlike our semi-wild bird, newt and hedgehog haven. Scum.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
                                          Many British people Absolutely. Lose. Their. Shit when they visit North Wales and hear people speaking WELSH!!
                                          ‘British’ and ‘Welsh’ aren’t exactly mutually exclusive, of course.

Comment

Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post

‘British’ and ‘Welsh’ aren’t exactly mutually exclusive, of course.
                                            Not saying they are. I was replying to Sporting about attitudes to non-dominant indigenous languages in European countries.

(The Welsh not British discussion is for another thread perhaps)

Comment

Our local adult shop that I wonder how it remains in business is located between a key maker and a vacuum repair shop--all on a street with high rents. I really don't know how all three of those are still open.

A local store that I always wondered about, but is now gone (along with the entire strip mall, replaced with the typical 4-story "mixed use" development) was a Lithuanian market. There's not really any Lithuanian population in my city that I'm aware of, so I don't know who their clientele was.

Comment

Originally posted by Incandenza View Post
                                                A local store that I always wondered about, but is now gone (along with the entire strip mall, replaced with the typical 4-story "mixed use" development) was a Lithuanian market. There's not really any Lithuanian population in my city that I'm aware of, so I don't know who their clientele was.
                                                I wonder about places like that too. In our old neighbourhood there's a German restaurant. It appeared around twenty years ago. It has tables and chairs and even had a menu posted outside once but, to my knowledge, no one has ever seen it open, and never seen a soul inside. It's not in a inexpensive area, — Vancouver's west-side, near UBC — in fact lots of businesses on the same block have closed down in the past few years because the rents are so high. However this mysteriously deserted, so-called, restaurant remains. Very strange.

Comment

Originally posted by Incandenza View Post
                                                  Our local adult shop that I wonder how it remains in business
                                                  I think we need to ask Ursus how well that one would stand up in court

Comment

Working...
                                                  X