Incongruous shops near you

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Incongruous shops near you

We have done this before, but I like to return to this topic every few years.

On my local high street is a shop selling accessories for (and installation of) swimming pools, hot tubs and saunas.

It also sells, erm … gravestones.

Maybe it should also sell swimming lessons and rubber rings.

Comment

The only three shops on my road are an Adult Gift Shop, a Thai Massage Parlour and a Barber. I guess the Barber is the outlier here.

Comment

What's an adult gift shop?

Comment

My contribution isn't a shop, but a mini plaza in a very dodgy neighborhood. The end shop is a walk in clinic that looks to deal mainly in hookers and drug addicts. The other end shop is an awful looking pharmacy/corner shop catering to same. Then someone opened an orchid shop in the middle. It lasted two or three months.
          Last edited by WOM; 06-10-2021, 11:58.

Comment

There’s a shopping parade in the next suburb with the following sequence:

Pharmacist
            Swimming pool shop
            Wine shop
            Lebanese restaurant
            Gun shop

Comment

Originally posted by Sporting View Post
              What's an adult gift shop?
              Aw, bless

Comment

I was fishing for details...

Comment

Obviously, 'gift shop' can have a number of connotations, but to me it always suggests at local souvenirs and trinkets.

I like the idea of an engraved penis ring from Bognor Regis.

(Well, I don't 'like' the idea as such, but, you know...)

Comment

We have 'variety stores' as opposed to corner shops, and all the '60s era signage seemed to settle on 'Bob's Smoke and Gift' as the category. I'd imagine 80% of their trade was cigarettes at one time, followed by snack foods and then milk/bread/butter purchased in a panic. I can't even imagine what sort of gift was ever on offer. Even the one nearest my public school had a selection of car/airplane models that never sold and whose boxes just slowly collapsed in on themselves.

Comment

On reflection, I suppose a disposable lighter makes a welcome gift at the right function.

Comment

Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post
                        I like the idea of an engraved penis ring from Bognor Regis.
                        I reckon you could be on to something there.

(Never heard it called a "penis ring" before, mind)

Comment

I've only heard that from straights

Comment

Good point, I don't think I've discussed cock rings with straights that often.

Comment

Literally (in the correct sense of the word) round the corner from my house is a parade of six shops which allows me to walk past, in order, a tattoo parlour, motorbike shop and funeral directors. It's everything I need for my midlife crisis.

I turned mid 40s today...

Comment

I have never noticed the phrase Adult Gift Shop before; is Adult Shop more usual?

Comment

Originally posted by Benjm View Post
                                  I have never noticed the phrase Adult Gift Shop before; is Adult Shop more usual?
                                  That's for oneself. The gift shop is for others.

Comment

I've mentioned this before, but near us is a Adult Shop which abuts an Amish Furniture shop. I love imagining the interactions as they go to one another for small change and to borrow cash register tapes, as neighboring stores tend to do. "Out of small bills again, Asa?" "Oh, indeed English. Fifth day this week."

Comment

Originally posted by WOM View Post

That's for oneself. The gift shop is for others.
                                      Good to know that they go the extra mile to ensure that personal and gifting supplies don't get mixed up. I hope that the punters have a similarly rigorous drawer arrangement once they get the stuff home.

Comment

Originally posted by Benjm View Post

I think that we're all waiting for more details from pebblethefish but I wondered if, rather that a sex shop, the place sells cheeky, sex-related gifts. I've been in a few places that weren't ostensibly the former but did sell things like various phallus-shaped products (paperweights, chocolates etc.), erotic playing cards and similar. A secret santa/office leaving do emporium, in other words.

Comment

When I was growing up, on one of the suburban streets where I lived, instead of the usual newsagents or butchers shop you'd expect, was one of the top model railway shops in Dublin, and indeed Ireland. My mate was into his toy trains and said people would come from all over Ireland to shop there. All I remember was a grumpy old bollocks, who'd chase you away if you hung around staring in his window for too long.

Comment

I certainly can't compete with pebble's sex shop, but I always thought that the local place called Chez Nicole that sold donuts and chinese food was something of an odd combination.

Comment

I'm always a bit perplexed that a fairly quiet part of Phibsboro can support a sex shop. It is amusing it seems to anger Joe fucking Costello so much, especially as it's in spitting distance of his "constituency office"/comeback HQ.

Comment

Originally posted by elguapo4 View Post
                                                All I remember was a grumpy old bollocks, who'd chase you away if you hung around staring in his window for too long.
                                                Same. Our local train / model car shop was run by a miserable old German guy. I remember a note on the one of the glass cases saying 'Do not touch. Fingerprints and snodder are hard to remove.' I remember 'snodder' vividly because I asked my mother what it meant, and she told me this old guy was an asshole and we weren't buying anything from him.

Comment

Two memorable ones from the past were:

1. Home Brew and Pet Stores in Bolton (no explanation necessary)
                                                  2. A launderette and internet cafe in Sydney

Comment

Working...
                                                  X