National Trust

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

National Trust

The Right is trying to use the National Trust AGM to try and preserve stately homes as a safe space for people who want to appreciate nice gardens and furniture without worrying about whether they were financed by slavery or colonialism.

They are supporting the following candidates in the AGM.

Michael Goodhart

Stephen Green

Min Grimshaw

David Pearson

Andrew Powles

Guy Trehane

If you are a NT member you are entitled to vote for alternative candidates and resolutions here : https://secure.cesvotes.com/V3-1-0/n...bbp=30978&x=-1

You can also vote for the resolution to ban trail hunting on NT land.

I'm hoping none of them slipped past me. I did my best to identify the most woke six to vote for, and there were at least two who were obviously racist shitheads and easily avoided.

Comment

Yeah, it wasn't obvious from the personal statements apart from the two who were obviously ghastly.

Comment

Thanks a million will do that

I went to Powys castle recently which hammered home just how essential it is for NT to engage with colonialism

Comment

Thanks Etienne, have done that now. I don't know if my ignorance prior to this thread of the AGM resolutions and council elections and my right to vote on them was due more to my laziness in not reading NT bumph which arrives by post or due to poor advertising by the NT to its members of their rights to vote etc. (For example, I'm assuming, perhaps wrongly, that they have an email address for me but I don't think I've received any email about the AGM. Can't be sure though.)

Comment

Yeah, the NT doesn't seem to publicise its AGM much. I have received emails from them on other subjects, but nothing on this, and I wouldn't have known it was happening or that I was eligible.

Powys Castle is fantastic in many ways, but from a casual visit you'd think Clive had been gifted loads of stuff as a mark of gratitude by the Indian people.

Comment

Can't remember what made me go vote this year. Wasn't the stuff in the post - that arrived this week, after I'd voted. Can't see an email on it from them.

Comment

So it looks like three of the 6 candidates pushed by the Restore Trust won, though fortunately the vile Stephen Green did not. The clearly obnoxious Andrew Powles did. Of the other two, Min Grimshaw was recommended by the current NT committee, and Guy Trehane has publicly distanced himself from Restore. So it could have been worse.

Restore clearly were able to mobilise about 30k votes, which would clearly not have been enough to win a majority if the non-Restore votes had not been spread over so many other candidates.

Comment

The AGM also voted to end hunting on NT land.

Comment

How many members are on the NT committee, Etienne?

Comment

Normally 12.

Comment

Not as bad as it could have been, so.

Comment

I wonder how many of my votes won.

Comment

Of the 6 listed in the OP, I note that Michael Goodhart (not elected) had also strongly distanced himself from Restore, and appears to have no connection with them at all.

National Trust election candidate ‘not consulted’ about ‘anti-woke’ backing | UK news | The Guardian

Comment

Thread titles that appear in Beatles songs (Happiness Is A Warm Gun in this case).

Comment

Originally posted by Etienne View Post
                                So it looks like three of the 6 candidates pushed by the Restore Trust won, though fortunately the vile Stephen Green did not.
                                He once sent me an unsolicited threat via email.

Comment

Just how often do you solicit threats?

Comment

Heh,

It was a very basic effort/threat of doxxing me. "I've got your email address, I can easily get your home address" type thing. The threatening me with burning in the hellfire of Satan was a nice touch, I thought.

Comment

And now, apparently, the Trust are saying that they "will consider" the hunting resolution, which therefore might not actually be implemented!

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                                        Just how often do you solicit threats?
                                        Publish and be damned?

Comment

I've been running forums for nearly 25 years, you don't get to last that long without getting a spurious threat or two (be it of the legal variety or otherwise).

I remember sitting down with a mate at an ice hockey game once and this fella came over and introduced himself. When he told us his name, we realised he was the newly installed Chairman of the league and we looked at each other with a "oh fuck, what have we said online now..." look on our faces. (He was just saying hello. Very pleasant chap. Ended up president of the World Croquet Federation.)

Comment

Originally posted by Discordant Resonance View Post
                                            And now, apparently, the Trust are saying that they "will consider" the hunting resolution, which therefore might not actually be implemented!
                                            I think that's how the NT works, and is the formal position. We shall see.

Comment

https://twitter.com/NationCymru/status/1461369232076120065

Comment

Good

Comment

This thread doesn't come up in a site: search. Hmmm.

Anyway, looks like the National Trust has decided to go with the ban. Trying to find a half-decent non-paywalled piece on it. This from ITV News will have to do for now:

Harry Bowell, National Trust director of land and nature, said the board of trustees had "carefully considered" the issue, and that its decision to stop issuing licenses was based on a "wide range" of considerations.

Mr Bowell said these considerations include, but not limited to:

A loss of trust and confidence in the Masters of Foxhounds Association (MFHA), which governs trail hunting

The vote by National Trust members at its recent AGM,

The considerable resources needed to facilitate trail hunting,

The reputational risk of this activity continuing on National Trust land
                                                  Edit - didn't think to look at the NT site...

The National Trust’s board of trustees has today announced the charity will no longer issue licences for trail hunting on Trust land.

This activity has been suspended on Trust land since November 2020 following a police investigation into webinars involving huntspeople discussing the practice.

In October, the then director of the Masters of the Fox Hounds Association (MFHA) was found guilty of encouraging the use of legal trail hunting as a screen to carry out the unlawful chasing and killing of animals.

At the charity’s Annual General Meeting in October 2021, members voted by 76,816 to 38,184 in favour of banning trail hunting on National Trust land.

Harry Bowell, Director of Land and Nature said “The board of trustees has carefully considered this issue. Its decision to issue no further licences for trail hunting is based on a wide range of considerations. These include - but are not limited to - a loss of trust and confidence in the MFHA, which governs trail hunting, the vote by National Trust members at our recent AGM, the considerable resources needed to facilitate trail hunting and the reputational risk of this activity continuing on our land.”

Hunting wild mammals with dogs was banned in England and Wales by the Hunting Act of 2004. Following the National Trust’s 2017 AGM, the conservation charity introduced a dedicated Trail Hunting Management Team, which oversaw the licensing process and monitored trail hunting activity against the terms of the new licences.

Since then, the Trust has seen both compliant and legitimate activity, but also multiple reported breaches.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X