UK Supply Chain Crisis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

UK Supply Chain Crisis

So much going on and currently on at least two threads so I thought I'd do what others had suggested and finally start a dedicated one.

https://www.theguardian.com/business...droidApp_Other

The numbers in here are deeply worrying. At least with fuel it's difficult to hoard but other products will be hoarded, like in the first months of Covid-19.

Comment

I'd have called it Winter of Discontent.

Comment

No organic milk, sparkling water or bin bags in my online delivery this morning.

Tomorrow I'll be hunting petrol.

Comment

Really don't, unless your tank is empty.

Comment

Originally posted by Lang Spoon View Post
            Really don't, unless your tank is empty.
            I've got three days left so need to go in the next few days, I might leave it another day or two then.

Comment

I can't see that many drivers accepting 3 month gastarbeider visas. And in a typical brexity response to the shortage the Government are aiming to lower the standards of training rather than looking to improve long term conditions in the industry. Good luck with that.

One of the major gripes drivers have in England is the lack of respect and consideration they get. Cutting their training and their understanding of the responsibilities of their job won't help.

Personally, I think fellow truckers generally bleat on a bit about how difficult the actual job is. But the point is, one mistake, one lack of concentration or falling asleep can have fatal consequences for themselves and others.

In my 25 years at my smallisfirm one colleague was killed, one is severely disabled, two had to stop driving because their nerves were shot after killing a cyclist and a pedestrian respectively, and one went to prison for reckless driving. Not counting several severe injuries during loading and unloading in the warehouse, numerous bad backs, shoulders and hernias.

Subsidise new driver's training. Don't cut back on the content.
              Last edited by Logan Mountstuart; 26-09-2021, 15:51.

Comment

Originally posted by Antepli Ejderha View Post
                No organic milk, sparkling water or bin bags in my online delivery this morning.

Tomorrow I'll be hunting petrol.
                That's really shocking and probably an early warning on how bad things are going to get this winter

I was at Sainsburys yesterday but they had run out of the four packs of Greek yoghurt

They had the ones with honey but not the plain ones, Mrs Sid doesn't like the ones with honey so it was a real dilemma what to do

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Etienne View Post
                    I'd have called it Winter of Discontent.
                    That would be optimistic, I expect it will go on longer than that.

Comment

Winter of Discontinued

Comment

I fear OTF has missed the memo that there are no shortages whatsoever, it is merely a BBC Remoaner beat up.

Comment

Personally, I think fellow truckers generally bleat on a bit about how difficult the actual job is.
                          Hmm. Very stoical of you! Having read a few threads on Twitter by "Tom", handle @thelorryist , I feel I've learnt a thing or two. I couldn't even think of doing the job, not just because I very much doubt I would have the motor skills (no pun intended) to handle a huge articulated vehicle, but because I couldn't tolerate the lifestyle. Much new-found admiration for truckers on my part.

Comment

Originally posted by Evariste Euler Gauss View Post

Hmm. Very stoical of you! Having read a few threads on Twitter by "Tom", handle @thelorryist , I feel I've learnt a thing or two. I couldn't even think of doing the job, not just because I very much doubt I would have the motor skills (no pun intended) to handle a huge articulated vehicle, but because I couldn't tolerate the lifestyle. Much new-found admiration for truckers on my part.
                            This. I posted a Twitter thread on the post Brexit thread about a typical day, it looked awful.

Comment

Comment

My nephew has been an HGV driver for 25 years or so. He has developed into a human sat-nav, but lifestyle wise it has been extraordinarily difficult. Expected to take drives at short notice, ridiculous hours and no family life whatsoever.

Comment

Typical innit? I fill up about one every two months. And it just so happens now would have been the time. Still, got about 60 Miles in the tank and no where pressing to go. It'll probably blow over by next week.
                                  I won't be filling up when I do get some fuel though. The car goes back on 18th and I only intend to leave them with as much fuel as they left me at drop off.
                                  I'd feel much smugger if I had the lecky car already. Roll on 18thOct.

Comment

Actual LOL @ ad hoc's meme image. Try explaining that to a time traveller from the 20th century, they just won't get it.

Comment

https://twitter.com/PickardJE/status/1442177765944356864

Comment

Originally posted by hobbes View Post
                                        I won't be filling up when I do get some fuel though..
                                        Don't rule it out, it can get quite emotional getting to the front of a long queue.

Comment

Thick end of a 90 mile round trip to Chelmsford RFC and back in the Renault Zoe, still 97 miles range on the Guess-O-Meter when we got back. Plugged in for a bit, just to pump to the psychological comfort level of 120 miles, even though I could do work and back twice without needing a charge.

Not being smug though, because I feel very much for people who are reaping the rewards of the twats who have been running the country (into the ground) for a decade.

Comment

Comment

It's all ok, Johnson is considering bringing in the army to deliver fuel.

Comment

Well, my cousin (Sergeant, RA) will get a change of scenery from being drafted in to man Covid testing sites.

Comment

Comment

Working...
                                                  X