Famous bars or pubs you've had a drink in

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Famous bars or pubs you've had a drink in

This morning I pulled out of the drawer a T-shirt I bought in Sloppy Joe's in Havana, which got me reminiscing about other famous ones I've been to. In Havana itself of course as guidebook-driven tourists we also went to La Floridita and La Bodeguita del Medio, Hemingway's two favourite haunts. Off the top of my head I can also recall going to Harry's Bar in Venice, the Long Bar in Raffles Hotel, the Szimpla Kert ruin pub in Budapest, Jamaica Inn, and that pub in Ireland that was the one in the TV series about the landlady and the priest. Oh and, of course, the Grey Horse in Manchester.

Any that you've been to?
    Last edited by Rogin the Armchair fan; 24-09-2021, 12:50.

McCarthy Bar in Casteletonbere (Co Cork)

Comment

Expanding it to cafes, I've spent a chunk of an afternoon in the Cafe Odeon in Zurich. I stopped there to while away some time whilst waiting to meet up my our cousin, who worked nearby at the time. And did so without having any idea that it was once the haunt of Einstein and Lenin (not, I believe, drinking together... or sharing a table with Mussolini either) - it was just a conveniently located cafe.

I was aware of the significance of the Cafe Slavia when I went there with my parents on my first visit to Prague. Based on it's wikipedia article that must have been only shortly before it closed for five years.

Comment

I've been to the Garota de Ipanema in Ipanema (Rio), previously the Bar Veloso where (allegedly) Tom Jobim and Vinicius de Moraes wrote The Girl from Ipanema

Comment

Oh, and back in my student days in Nottingham our group used to be occasional visitors to both The Trip to Jersualem and The Bell Inn when we went into the city centre. And I've been to another of the 'oldest pub in Britain' claimants, The Fight Cocks, in St. Albans as well. Again, I was completely unaware of the history (or in some cases supposed history) of these pubs when frequenting them. In every case it was just a handy and decent looking place for a drink or some food.

Comment

I was similarly unaware of the history the first time I was in the Odeon, but learned of its history before subsequent visits (I used to visit Zurich regularly for work)

My list would be quite long, though the question does make me wonder how many such establishments have Wikipedia pages.

The Café Central in Vienna was a sure bet - https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caf%C3%A9_Central

Though we have always preferred der Demel - https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demel

Comment

I've also been in The Eagle in Cambridge many times, of course.

Comment

Originally posted by Janik View Post
                I've also been in The Eagle in Cambridge many times, of course.
                Oh yeah, that one definitely

Comment

I've been in both the La Floridita and La Bodeguita del Medio in Havana too. Others I can think of include the Cheers bar in Boston, the Coach and Horses in Soho, the Crown in Belfast and, of course, the Grey Horse in Manchester

Comment

I've often been up and down City Road, in and out the Eagle.

Comment

I've several times had a pint or three in the Tan Hill on the Pennine Way - which I now discover was not featured in An American Werewolf in London.

Oh well, it appeared in those Ted Moult Everest ads, and that's good enough for me.

Comment

Can't think of any, although I've taken visitors to the Hofbräuhaus in Munich. But of a tourist t trap really.

Comment

I've also been to Els Quatre Gats, in Barcelona, favourite hangout of modernist artists, including amongst others Gaudi and Picasso

Comment

Temple Bar in Dublin, Philharmonic in Liverpool. And the Grey Horse in Manchester. I also used to love the Hare and Hounds in Manchester around 10-12 years ago, when you'd get Ray from the Piccadilly Rats dancing to the free and easy band in the back room.

Comment

The Lord Elgin, Maida Vale.

Comment

Another one for the Hofbrauhaus in Munich, Greenlander, me and a few other Argyle lads had an outstanding night there when Argyle were touring just over the border in Austria. Touristy yes but I loved it.

Also:
                                Delirium in Brussels (Guinness World Record holder for the largest selection of beers to choose from, over 2000. A bit of a tourist trap but i loved the cellar bar at weekends, decentish music and so many travellers passing through to mingle with)
                                Ye Olde Trip to Jerusalem in Nottingham (claims to be the oldest pub of all)
                                The Pub in Valletta (last place Oscar Reed had a drink in)
                                Dulle Griet in Gent (the place where you leave your shoes as a deposit should you want to drink a litre of beer out of acoach glass).

Comment

If we're judging fame by having a Wikipedia page:

Vesuvio's in San Francisco, quite regularly when I'm home.

Buena Vista Cafe, although only for touristy reasons. Vesuvio's makes a better Irish coffee.

Boston: Doyle's Cafe, now no longer with us

London: Gosh, too many to mention. At least 20 that have their own wiki page.

Dublin: Davy Byrne's, did not have gorgonzola. Mulligan's, which I loved and sold me a brilliant lighter that lasted for years. The Auld Dubliner.

Comment

Originally posted by super furry dice View Post
                                    Dulle Griet in Gent (the place where you leave your shoes as a deposit should you want to drink a litre of beer out of acoach glass).
                                    Did you?

Comment

Originally posted by Greenlander View Post

Did you?
                                      No. I'd learned enough about Belgian beer before I visited, that drinking a litre's worth in one go was utterly stupid. Very entertaining watching others try though.

Comment

super furry dice Famous soak, Oliver Reed in Valletta, no?

Comment

If the Philharmonic and Olde Tryppe to Jerusalem count as famous, I've done them too. And the Horseshoe and Scotia Bar in Glasgow

Comment

I'm not sure what counts as famous in London. But I've been to the Trip and Bell in Nottingham and also the Philharmonic in Liverpool. And the Grey Horse in Manchester obvo.

Comment

I'd forgotten the Hofbrauhaus. Yes, had a stein or two in there.

Comment

I'm not sure whether going to the Grey Horse before it was famous counts or not?

I've also been to the Philharmonic and Ye Olde Trip To Jerusalem and the one in New York where Dylan Thomas drank his last, fatal skinful.

Comment

Icons of Prague and Bratislava respectively :

https://ufleku.cz/

https://www.visitbratislava.com/plac...ip-restaurant/

Both a bit over-touristed but still well worth a visit.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X