One for DPDPDPDP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One for DPDPDPDP

Potentially three-party politics in Tynwald?

https://twitter.com/EuropeElects/status/1441141535614046209

The first two being Manx Labour (no connection to London) and Liberal Vannin, who share membership with the UK Lib Dems.

Appropriate because I often refer to them as Liberal Vermin

Comment

Final results:

https://twitter.com/EuropeElects/status/1441205019743703045

https://twitter.com/EuropeElects/status/1441353651201576963

Comment

Independent candidates still by far have a huge majority and long way that continue, in my opinion. Interesting to note that there were a significant increase in the amount of female candidates returned - not sure what the male / female mix of MHK’s are - most appropriate given that the Isle of Man was the first place in the world to allow women to vote in 1881 - and no, I wasn’t around then to witness that.

Comment

I shudder to think what a parliament where 7 out of every 8 members are independent is like.

Comment

From what I remember of that tax haven book out a decade or so back*, the tradition of Independents over Parties in Jersey made regulatory capture by tax evading bastards even easier than when faced by a Parliament of fucking Tories or FF/FG say. I'd imagine it's similar in the Isle of Man, plus of course the unchained pork barrelism.

*Treasure Islands

Comment

8 out of the 24 members serve in Cabinet, which provides every incentive not to ask difficult questions.

Comment

Originally posted by Lang Spoon View Post
                From what I remember of that tax haven book out a decade or so back*, the tradition of Independents over Parties in Jersey made regulatory capture by tax evading bastards even easier than when faced by a Parliament of fucking Tories or FF/FG say. I'd imagine it's similar in the Isle of Man, plus of course the unchained pork barrelism.

*Treasure Islands
                Lang, don’t know about Jersey, but in IOM the tradition of independents by far outdates the financial services industry, which is only a portion of the Manx economy and within which the tax advantages only apply for certain sectors. Also don’t know why it’s different but party politics are by far the norm in the likes of Bermuda and Cayman.

Comment

And today, polls have opened on/in Jersey, where the social democratic Reform Jersey have been the progressive opposition, but a number of new centre-right-to-right-wing parties have now entered the fray.

Comment

It turned out to be an excellent result for Reform Jersey, doubling their representation to 10 seats, while the other parties flopped spectacularly.

Comment

Working...
                    X