The UK Gas Supply Crisis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The UK Gas Supply Crisis

My supplier, Avro, has just gone tits up.

I'm quite excited to see which viable energy firm my account gets shifted to but less so the size of the increase of my bill.

I was away working all weekend and have only the vaguest grasp of what's going on. Anyone care to put me in the picture?

Comment

Originally posted by Gas In Name Only View Post
      I was away working all weekend and have only the vaguest grasp of what's going on. Anyone care to put me in the picture?
      Can't help, but the most appropriate handle and thread combination EVER.

Comment

Originally posted by Nocturnal Submission View Post
        My supplier, Avro, has just gone tits up.

I'm quite excited to see which viable energy firm my account gets shifted to but less so the size of the increase of my bill.
        I'm expecting Bulb to go n'all.

Comment

Originally posted by Gas In Name Only View Post

Heh. I was going to just go with "Gas" as the thread title but thought that you might think that I was trying to initiate a duologue.

Huge price rises in wholesale gas prices in the last few months have seriously undermined the business models of a large swathe of the UK gas retail market and the smaller operations are falling over at a rapid rate. If you're with one of the failing operations your supply is secure and you'll be moved to one of the survivors, presumably one of the big boys, with a consequent heavy upwards adjustment of your bill.

Comment

Originally posted by hobbes View Post

Yeh, it's teetering on the brink at the moment.
            Last edited by Nocturnal Submission; 14-11-2023, 11:34.

Comment

Guess who went on a brand new fixed deal for 24 months with Octopus Energy about three weeks ago? <fucking smug face>

I know, I know, they're going tits up by tomorrow morning too, aren't they.

Comment

It does seem as though all of the Championship level suppliers are in danger.

I was with Yorkshire Energy, who were more League 2, but they went under last winter. I got switched to Scottisg Power, who have not so far been competent enough to raise my prices, indeed they have shown very little interest in me at all.

Anyway, mutter mutter Corbyn was right mutter mutter

Comment

We were with Avro too.

Oh, and I work for a company whose future revenue streams were relying to a not insignificant extent on the success of the new smaller suppliers.

Interesting times.

Comment

Originally posted by hobbes View Post

We're with Bulb.

Comment

So households in the UK have private natural gas suppliers? You can shop around for who your provider is? I'm not used to a country having something like that be more privatized than what we have in the US (not that our gas/electricity all comes from public utilities, but it's a single utility company that covers large areas like cities and counties.

Comment

Yeah, the UK has one of the most deregulated energy markets in the world.

Ours looks like Soviet Russia in comparison.

Comment

Yeah, though who your supplier is makes very little difference to how your gas is sourced or supplied. They just compete on price.

Comment

As I understand it, the smaller firms are all essentially traders looking to make as much as they can between buying at unregulated wholesale price and selling at a price limited by allowable tariffs.

They were always going to be squeezed by sharp market movements against them because of the elasticity mismatch.

Comment

Yeah, loads of them were going to the wall even before the current situation.

Comment

OTF favourite Dale Vince is doing the rounds slagging off the smaller firms.

In his column in the Express, he's also taken the opportunity to put the boot into heat pumps as we should be keeping our gas boilers using biogas refined from grass. On a completely unrelated point, I note that Ecotricity has a large biogas refinery unit.

Comment

Originally posted by Eggchaser View Post

In his column in the Express, he's also taken the opportunity to put the boot into heat pumps as we should be keeping our gas boilers using biogas refined from grass. On a completely unrelated point, I note that Ecotricity has a large biogas refinery unit.
                                  I detest that man and his silly football club

Comment

Originally posted by Eggchaser View Post

Once a cunt, always a cunt

Comment

His utter neglect of the Electric Highway has earned him the undying enmity of many an EV driver. Its sale to Gridserve earlier this year was greeting with the same sort of rejoicing as the Munchkins when the house landed.

Comment

"Don't panic buy", say the retailers.

"PANIC BUY" hear the customers

Oh no, think the supermarkets, all this extra money and profit, what a shame, why didn't they listen to us, why?

Comment

https://twitter.com/begorabejaysus/status/1441089389040340997

Comment

It looks like petrol is also becoming a supply issue, it might just be the lack of HGV drivers or could be something more. And the prices at the pump are also increasing, 135 per litre is common.

Comment

In Holland, tanker drivers are known as de grote jongens/ meiden. They are paid more and respected for it. One mistake and your dead and so are hundreds of of others probably.

In the UK they are so badly paid that they are currently deserting to the Supermarket suppliers who are now in their desperation offering silly money.

Comment

One bad day at the office for BP's transport/logistics team and it all goes to pot.

There is absolutely no supply issue. A few locations for my organisation are running low or running out, but only because idiots are panicking. Those locations will receive their regular scheduled deliveries overnight, no deliveries are being missed, sales are merely outstripping predictions. If I was a driver, I'd be confident driving around on near empty. There will be fuel tomorrow, and the day after etc etc
                                                And even when we "run out", there's still a fair bit left to fill up our delivery vans, don't worry about that.

Comment

The European dimension: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-58650634

Comment

Working...
                                                  X