• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Poll: ITLAP day!

Talk like Johnny Depp
    14.29%
    Talk like Robert Newton
    85.71%

Does anyone have any idea what this is about?

Comment

Today is International Talk Like a Pirate Day

Comment

No idea, talk like a prick day?

Comment

Ah right. Who's Robert Newton?

Who gets to make up annoying stuff like this? Is there an international council of annoying bollocks?

Comment

1) no clue

2) it isn't that organised and is primarily driven by muppets putting out press releases

Comment

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Newton?wprov=sfla1

Long John Silver in the film version of Treasure Island apparently.
              Last edited by Antepli Ejderha; 19-09-2021, 18:50.

Comment

Comment

Who gets to make up annoying stuff like this? Is there an international council of annoying bollocks?
                  Thanks TonTon, that gave me a lift.

Comment

I don't know if it was international pirate day, but one time I was in a pub toilet and a man came in dressed as a pirate. Being at that state of inebriation that demanded I was convivial, I decided to hail him with a hearty piratical greeting. Sadly I was also at that state of inebriation that I'd forgotten how pirates talk, so the bemused man was met by a person at the urinal shouting "AHA!" at him in a pirate voice.

Comment

That's international talk like Alan Partridge day

Comment

Yes, I did mean to type that it was in an Alan Partridge voice, but cocked that up too.

Comment

I'm kind of surprised that people here didn't know who Robert Newton was. I'd seen all his pirate films by the time I was 10. When that Wikipedia page says he was hugely popular with boys in the 40's and 50's they may as well have been talking specifically about my dad. He even had a treasure Island book which was a movie spinoff, but that and his errol flynn Robin Hood book, Roy Rogers and dandy annuals all got destroyed in a small flood.

Comment

This thread would have made me want to replay the John Finnemore "Kirates" sketch, but my 10 year old daughter made me play it so many times that I'm bored sick of it.

Comment

Originally posted by The Awesome Berbaslug!!! View Post
                              I'm kind of surprised that people here didn't know who Robert Newton was. I'd seen all his pirate films by the time I was 10. When that Wikipedia page says he was hugely popular with boys in the 40's and 50's they may as well have been talking specifically about my dad. He even had a treasure Island book which was a movie spinoff, but that and his errol flynn Robin Hood book, Roy Rogers and dandy annuals all got destroyed in a small flood.
                              I've never seen a single second of him acting in anything, but I know who he is thanks to his influence on the popular perception of what constitutes a pirate voice. To such an extent that his presence in the poll meant I was able to surmise what was going on in the OP without scrolling down for further explanation, which I was rather pleased with given it's one of Guy's threads.

Comment

I'm fairly sure that Guy Profumo mentions this each year and is attracted to the idea, so I'd like to know if he fully embraces the concept and strolls around Sheffield bellowing archaic nautical instructions to his "hearties" or whether he's a shy pirate who just mutters something about not having any pieces of eight on him at the newsagent and will they accept a card?

Comment

Originally posted by Evariste Euler Gauss View Post
                                  This thread would have made me want to replay the John Finnemore "Kirates" sketch
                                  Whereas I think "We wants a training day"...

Comment

The whole idea that pirates "talk like" anything in particular is pretty ludicrous.

Comment

Comment

What has 8 hands, 8 legs and 8 eyes?

8 pirates.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                                          1) no clue

2) it isn't that organised and is primarily driven by muppets putting out press releases
                                          Also associated as a high holy day within Pastafarianism, to expose mainstream religions' "free passes" on their days of observance as "complete bollocks"

(Or rather, irreligious tossers demanded their own free day off because some of the devout got theirs)

Comment

Just wash your hands of the whole thing, Guy.

Think of it as International Talk Like Pilate Day.

Comment

Working...
                                            X