Woe at Raid (on abortion rights)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

THREE "Conservatives close to the Count"

https://twitter.com/steve_vladeck/status/1523336583495122945?s=21&t=E5MudYN2LZF1IYerpOTdLA

It doesn't have to be a Justice, and I would bet against that. The much more likely suspects are clerks (each Justice has four, and those working for reactionaries are increasingly radical in their ideology), and close family members (cough, Ginni Thomas, cough).

I tend to favour the hypothesis that it was intended to threaten any potential "traitor" to the cause, most likely Kavanaugh.

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
      I think, in this instance, that the sadistic pleasure the pro-Lifers get from forcing black women to complete their pregnancies outweighs their eugenic worries about the white birth rate. And, as DM says, they love the thought of adoptive white couples raising black kids to hate other blacks.
      In the light of recent events and the manifesto of the buffalo shooter, do you still believe this is primarily aimed at black women people?

Comment

Maternal mortality across all populations in the USA is high. Among Black women it's astronomically high. These laws also give states the opportunity to disenfranchise women who have abortions and miscarriages by making them felons. Forcing poor women to give birth to children who will make them poorer and hence themselves be poorer still is a great way to stock the school-to-prison pipeline with its supply of captive forced labour.

It's not primarily aimed at Black women, it is aimed at all women but the impacts will not be felt equally.

Comment

https://twitter.com/KSVesq/status/1526233811171921921

Comment

Originally posted by delicatemoth View Post
            Maternal mortality across all populations in the USA is high. Among Black women it's astronomically high. These laws also give states the opportunity to disenfranchise women who have abortions and miscarriages by making them felons. Forcing poor women to give birth to children who will make them poorer and hence themselves be poorer still is a great way to stock the school-to-prison pipeline with its supply of captive forced labour.

It's not primarily aimed at Black women, it is aimed at all women but the impacts will not be felt equally.
            I will admit the dominant society will never pass up the opportunity to imprison back people, but I remain unconvinced this will disproportionally criminalise them. You can always tell who a law is targeted at by the people who complain the loudest, and in this case it is white women.
            I am counting the days to whgen the corpse of the Notorious RBG is exhumed and tried for treason.

Comment

Going back to this.
              https://rewirenewsgroup.com/article/...nti-blackness/

I really hate this article and the tone of it.

I have often complained about people talking about black suffering and then quickly try to pivot or shoehorn something else and this article is a prime example.

See below:
              "The harsh reality is that an utter disregard for the reality of Black women’s lives—and, by extension, all Indigenous people, people of color, queer and trans folks, and disabled people—has led us to this moment"

WTF does this mean?

As you would expect, the subsequent paragraph does nothing to tie it all together.

"Because white gynecologists tended to experiment on Black and brown enslaved women"

Who on earth are the brown enslaved people in the United States?

"The modern anti-abortion movement, by contrast, was conceived in resentment at the Supreme Court for the desegregation of schools via Brown v. Board of Education in 1954, and then exacerbated by the elimination of Christian prayer in schools in 1962 and the integration of public schools via busing in 1971"

This doesn't make sense. Abortion was technically illegal in the united states when all these landmark cases took place.

It was interesting the writers were smart enough not to mention that the lady in Roe v Wade initially claimed she wanted an abortion because she was impregnated after being gang-raped by a group of black men. I mean, that would be a good start if you wanted to honestly write an article on Roe v Wade and tie that to anti-black racism. But that will open a humongous can of worms showing the white female feminist movement was instrumental in the formation of segregation and Jim Crow laws.

I would recommend the Wilmington massacre and the role of Feminists in that.

Comment

Originally posted by Tactical Genius View Post
                I have often complained about people talking about black suffering and then quickly try to pivot or shoehorn something else and this article is a prime example.

See below:
                "The harsh reality is that an utter disregard for the reality of Black women’s lives—and, by extension, all Indigenous people, people of color, queer and trans folks, and disabled people—has led us to this moment"

WTF does this mean?
                That's not a pivot, that's intersectionality. It's a framework that acknowledges people aren't just women, or Black, or queer, or whatever, but that oppressions intersect. It is specifically a response to a cis white feminism that seeks to flatten such differences and position women as a monolithic class with the same experiences and issues despite (for instance) white women indeed being essential to the upholding of racism. The framework was first named by Professor Kimberlé Crenshaw in the 1980s, it comes from Black feminism, and you will not get that far trying to understand American Black feminism if you ignore/dismiss it.

“intersectionality is such a vital framework for understanding systems of power, because ‘woman’ is not a catchall category that alone defines all our relationships to power”. A black woman may experience misogyny and racism, but she will experience misogyny differently from a white woman and racism differently from a black man. The work towards women’s rights must be intersectional – any feminism that purely represents the experiences of white, middle class, able-bodied, heterosexual etc. women will fail to achieve equality for all." ((https://www.womankind.org.uk/interse...-it-important/)

"The modern anti-abortion movement, by contrast, was conceived in resentment at the Supreme Court for the desegregation of schools via Brown v. Board of Education in 1954, and then exacerbated by the elimination of Christian prayer in schools in 1962 and the integration of public schools via busing in 1971"

This doesn't make sense. Abortion was technically illegal in the united states when all these landmark cases took place.
                This is what half the article is about! See the previous four paragraphs.

But that will open a humongous can of worms showing the white female feminist movement was instrumental in the formation of segregation and Jim Crow laws.
                I've not heard that bit about Roe specifically, but the article talks about white feminism's racism in the context of reproductive rights. "The pro-choice movement has largely avoided confronting the anti-abortion movement’s racism, because that would require it to confront its own. The desire to control Black bodies and Black liberation is a function of white supremacy and it permeates every strategy and goal—even for well-meaning reproductive freedom advocates."

Comment

white female feminist movement was instrumental in the formation of segregation and Jim Crow laws
                  I agree but we need to qualify that by saying that the first wave of feminism was very conservative because, although it campaigned for the vote, it also believed in traditional gender roles and white supremacy. Wilmington was triggered by a southern white suffrage campaigner saying she'd like to see a thousand lynchings a week:

The white newspaper in Wilmington published an inflammatory speech given by Rebecca Felton, a Georgia feminist a year earlier: "If it requires lynching to protect woman's dearest possession from ravening, drunken human beasts, then I say lynch a thousand negroes a week ... if it is necessary."
                  https://www.thirteen.org/wnet/jimcro...ents_riot.html

Comment

"Resolutely Pro-Life"

https://twitter.com/acyn/status/1527101944086401025?s=21&t=x5NHCcdhO55hjJ3AcRPwTQ

Comment

https://twitter.com/amandamarcotte/status/1527338571560284161?s=21&t=1ww_jQTUYj1mKsuchvy6UA

Comment

Small fry, but Pelosi denied communion by RC archbishop

https://www.npr.org/2022/05/21/11005...bortion-rights

Comment

What a filthy cult it is.

Comment

Originally posted by S. aureus View Post
                            Small fry, but Pelosi denied communion by RC archbishop
                            This is the same guy who got nailed for a DUI a bit back and the SF archdiocese in general also installed outdoor sprinklers to keep homeless from sleeping near a cathedral, they can get to fuck.

Comment

Dirty bastards.

Comment

https://twitter.com/JeffSharlet/status/1529943639295770642?t=i-NdfvpfUwb_B_KQfA6OQg&s=19

Comment

Where does he, er, stand on male masterbation?

Comment

One can never be sure with these guys

Could be pre-ordained by God

Could be a capital crime

Comment

The doctrine of the preexistence of souls innit.

Comment

Originally posted by Gangster Octopus View Post
                                        Where does he, er, stand on male masterbation?
                                        Is this what Seppings had to do?

Comment

Originally posted by scratchmonkey View Post

This is the same guy who got nailed for a DUI a bit back and the SF archdiocese in general also installed outdoor sprinklers to keep homeless from sleeping near a cathedral, they can get to fuck.
                                          That Cordileone guy is a MAGA culture warrior and all round slimeball. But of the something like 260 bishops in the US, only nine others have explicitly supported him. And most of those 260 men in that cesspit of inequity that is the US bishops' conference are GOP-leaning. The head of "that filthy cult" has explicitly spoken out against denying people Communion.

Comment

https://twitter.com/NewYorker/status/1536510178853638145?t=iN5QsxBfYfLMLjSmKwhfzA&s=19

Comment

This can't really be true, but it does seem to be true:

https://twitter.com/scottsantens/status/1536736107198656512?

(Probably not quite the right thread, but)
                                              Last edited by DCI Harry Batt; 14-06-2022, 16:54.

Comment

Louisiana, man

Of course the rapist has "connections with the justice system"

Comment

I tried to type something, but I can't.

Comment

Firstly, apologies for the late response, I had some offboard stuff to deal with and I wanted to give your post a proper reply.

Originally posted by delicatemoth View Post

That's not a pivot, that's intersectionality. It's a framework that acknowledges people aren't just women, or Black, or queer, or whatever, but that oppressions intersect. It is specifically a response to a cis white feminism that seeks to flatten such differences and position women as a monolithic class with the same experiences and issues despite (for instance) white women indeed being essential to the upholding of racism.
                                                    In an ideal world I might agree with the above statement but we live in the system of white supremacy where all the so-called non-black minorities are not fighting for the same thing as black people.
                                                    They want us to fight for their agenda but never reciprocate. They will use black people as clowns in their demonstrations, usually putting them at the front of protests to holler and perform, but when the benefits are being handed out all you see are white folks.
                                                    https://www.nationalgeographic.com/h...on-of-identity

And to add insult to injury, they push out their black congregation to start talking shit about black people and especially black men (Don Lemon, Lil Nas X, Billy Porter to name a few).

The LGBT community is just as culpable of this as the White Feminist, Latino, Asian communities etc.
                                                    Intersectionality implies a quid pro quo, if not, then it is just one group using the suffering of another to get ahead.

The framework was first named by Professor Kimberlé Crenshaw in the 1980s, it comes from Black feminism, and you will not get that far trying to understand American Black feminism if you ignore/dismiss it.
                                                    I may not know as much about black feminism as you but I know enough about the disastrous effects it has had in the black community especially black woman who have gone backwards on any metric you chose to use (Yes, that's an open challenge to anyone who wishes to prove me wrong)

“intersectionality is such a vital framework for understanding systems of power, because ‘woman’ is not a catchall category that alone defines all our relationships to power”. A black woman may experience misogyny and racism, but she will experience misogyny differently from a white woman and racism differently from a black man. The work towards women’s rights must be intersectional – any feminism that purely represents the experiences of white, middle class, able-bodied, heterosexual etc. women will fail to achieve equality for all." ((https://www.womankind.org.uk/interse...-it-important/)
                                                    I am not going to get involved in the Feminist/LGBT spat going on as I do not have a dog in the fight and from my perspective, both sides have been hostile to the black community.

But the systems of power is not complicated, it is white supremacy, Black people are fighting it and want it replaced by a system of justice, all the other non-black minorities are fighting for white acceptance i'e a more favourable position in the racial pyramid.

This is what half the article is about! See the previous four paragraphs.
                                                    Speaking of the article, who were the brown slaves (I am asking for the second time)?

I've not heard that bit about Roe specifically,
                                                    Don't take my word for it, verify it with whatever source you feel comfortable.

but the article talks about white feminism's racism in the context of reproductive rights. "The pro-choice movement has largely avoided confronting the anti-abortion movement’s racism, because that would require it to confront its own.
                                                    Now this is something I agree with.

The desire to control Black bodies and Black liberation is a function of white supremacy and it permeates every strategy and goal—even for well-meaning reproductive freedom advocates."
                                                    Ok, you acknowledge white Supremacy, that's great, what are you going to do about it (not you personally, but as a community).

Comment

Working...
                                                    X