Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why are android phones so massive these days?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why are android phones so massive these days?

My phone (from 2016) is starting to get old, and while I definitely have no plans to replace it yet, I did do some idle searching on more recent phones to see what its nearest equivalent is. My phone has a 5" screen and I like it that way. Nice and compact, and if I want to do anything that needs a larger screen I'll use a desktop (I'd do that whatever my phone display size - it's just easier).

But if I search for phones now, it's basically impossible to find any android phone with smaller than 6" screen, and even that is rare. What is going on with phone sizes? Are they merging phones with tablets or something? (Many old tablets were 7 or 8")

I think iphones are different (they go smaller), but I'd never spend that much on a phone.
    Last edited by Jimski; 21-08-2021, 07:57.

Tabletisation has been going on for a while, driven in large part by mobile phones becoming a/the prime delivery mechanism for video and perceived demand for better/multiple cameras.

But you are right. "Small" in Android is now 5.8 or 5.9 inches. Even the iPhone "Mini" is 5.4

Comment

I have found the same problem. I don't want a phone the size of a small tablet. I want one I can fit in the pocket of my jeans.

Comment

Quite a contrast with the old days (late 90s) - phones were getting smaller, and people used to laugh at others with massive phones.

Comment

Well, that is a significant part of how manufactured product replacement cycles work

Comment

And now they build in obsolescence by not continuing software updates for more than a few years, meaning your phone gets less and less secure.

Comment

Well, yes

The ultimate goal is "hardware as service"

Comment

Yeah, the world moves steadily down a path to a fully rentier economy, where nobody actually owns anything tangible except for a few big companies, who then rent it out to everyone else.

(Anyway, I've moved completely off-topic now...)

Comment

The pixel was pretty much the only phone that met my requirements late last year, one of which was that it wasn't bigger than my previous phone. Despite that it's still too big to be able to reach all the screen one handed.

Comment

My phones have gotten bigger as my eyesight gets worse. The idea that I could once play Angry Birds on an iPhone 4s is laughable to me now.

Comment

My first smartphone had a 3" screen - a Samsung Galaxy Y in 2011.

With hindsight, I don't know how I managed to use it - the keyboard was an exercise in frustration, you couldn't see what was going on if you were watching a video or playing a game and trying to read text? Forget it.

Comment

I need a new phone, and I'd like one slightly smaller, but they don't exist. So much so that I've even half considered semi-seriously one of the new-fangled flips.
                        Last edited by DCI Harry Batt; 24-08-2021, 11:24.

Comment

Pixel 4a is worth looking at (5.8").

Comment

Am I the only one who has zero confidence that those folding screens are going to work properly for more than a few months? I just don't see how they'll last.

Comment

Oh of course they won't work. But, you know, new gadget, so...

Comment

Originally posted by WOM View Post
                                Am I the only one who has zero confidence that those folding screens are going to work properly for more than a few months? I just don't see how they'll last.

No, I'm also not confident about the longevity of bendable electronics.

Comment

They went somewhat small, at least for an ostensible flagship phone, for the Pixel 5 - a six inch screen. I find that's pretty much the perfect size for me. But they've gone back up for the 5a and the 6 line. You can usually find a small Android phone if you really want, but not in the flagship ranges any more.

Comment

What makes the flagship ranges better?

Comment

Originally posted by WOM View Post
                                      Nah, me too. (But having said that when the first phones with touch screens appeared I assumed they'd have no lifespan either)

Comment

Originally posted by Sporting View Post
                                        All sorts of features and capabilities no-one uses. That's what sells them to me, anyway.

Comment

An increased likelihood that your phone will receive (security) updates for a longer period of time.

Nothing is certain, however.

Comment

Do the screen actually bend? Or is it some jiggery-pokery with a hinge or two screens that just abutt really close or something?

Comment

With regard to Pixel phones? Stock Android, regular updates and better image processing.

Comment

I just want a phone I can use for calls, messages, photos for memories and a reasonable internet connection.

Comment

I just want a phone I can use for calls, messages, photos for memories and a reasonable internet connection.
                                                  I've generally always bought Moto Gs, which are very good value.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X