Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Have we slagged off the new "free speech" channel yet?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Agree that's not necessarily a reason to assume why people move to Australia.

However I have spent some time there I really liked the place in many ways but the casual racism is (or was then ) overwhelming
    - I was shocked when in a bar after work one of our colleagues started talking about "wogs". (by which they meant people of italian heritage.)
    Not only that a guy called Mario, who was part of the group, was expected to join in the banter.

Of course the history of the way the Indigneous population has been treated is well known- though not as well known as it should be, but what happened to the Chinese community in Australia is absolutely horrendous .

Comment

Yeah perhaps people should stop making assumptions.

Australia has some appalling issues with race, both historical and current. Addressing those issues takes time and effort. Many people are trying to speed that process up.

I have spent some time in the UK.The treatment of a range of immigrant populations over the years has been overwhelmingly bad. Do you live in the UK because you endorse such racism?

Comment

Yes, in hindsight my earlier comment was unfair and I shouldn't have generalised based on my experience with the branch of the family who emigrated. As I said that emigrating generation still regarded themselves as British not Australian anyway.

Comment

Meanwhile, this morning's offering featured a live broadcast from their newest presenter aboard a launch in the middle of the Channel pointing out other small boats and dinghies

Comment

Originally posted by Guy Profumo View Post
            Meanwhile, this morning's offering featured a live broadcast from their newest presenter aboard a launch in the middle of the Channel pointing out other small boats and dinghies
            Amazed that the cable stretched that far, tbh

Comment

Originally posted by Nefertiti2 View Post

Amazed that the cable stretched that far, tbh
              String on the end of a tin can, surely

Comment

String and a tin can?

Elastic picked out from the waistband of a pair of C&A Y-fronts and a used, partially crushed foam cup (still with remnants of oxtail soup), surely?

Comment

The truth of it is that the worst of some Australian attitudes stem from the British (yes, the British, not just the English).

Those attitudes have of course been honed by both sides of politics. Queensland can pretty well lay claim to setting the framework in place that South Africa used to impose apartheid. The White Australia Policy was a Labor government's idea and far too many unions played along.

Just a few weeks back I was in a south coast town reading a plaque that told the story of Aboriginal people being barred from the jetty area after 6pm in the 1950s. Yes, 1950s not 1850s. The extraordinary aspect of that plaque is that it is a step forward. When I lived in that town 30 years ago the story was hidden. On Rottnest island there is a memorial to all the Aboriginal men and boys who died in horrific conditions while imprisoned there in the 1800s. Of course such gestures are tiny. The apology to the stolen generation in Parliament by Kevin Rudd was much more significant, but thus far the progress on Closing the Gap initiatives around Aboriginal health and education has been glacial. A man who walked out on that apology is possibly next cab off the rank if Scott Morrison gets rolled as PM.

In the modern era the same vile influence of Rupert Murdoch is experienced here, particularly through Sky News, The Australian and various tabloids. National government tactics in both countries are remarkably similar - target minorities, blame them for society's ills, dog-whistle to extremists and rake in their votes. They have many advisors and PR agencies in common so the tactics being the same is hardly surprising. The easiest example is the UK adopting Australia's approach to "border control".

Of course the Tories/Liberals, whatever you want to call them, rally together because power is everything to them. The left meanwhile actively seeks out ways to avoid working together.
                  Last edited by Uncle Ethan; 22-07-2021, 04:40.

Comment

In case you were wondering how this was going, they've announced another addition to their gang of truth tellers.

Arlene Foster.

Comment

Phew!

For a moment there I thought it was Arlene Phillips.
                      Or to my eternal shame and embarrasment Jayda Fransen

Comment

Anyway

Ironic for an Ulster Unionist committed to the continuation of the United Kingdom joining "GBNews"

Comment

Has anyone else commented on the fact that a man who got his big break on a television programme called "Coast" - which would not infrequently cover both maritime disasters and rescues is happy to work alongside another man criticising the RNLI for saving lives at sea?

Comment

Nope, you're the first.

Comment

He has got a thread or two all to himself though?

(I did think about posting on there instead of here)

Comment

They really are all fucking cunts, aren't they?

Cunt from GBNews calls for death penalty

https://www.rt.com/uk/530478-britain...bnews-hanging/

Comment

Stop reading about it or watching it Guy. Staying off RT would be a good idea too.

Comment

I'm not sure how it's possible, but GBeebies reached a new low by giving Farage a platform to pick a fight with RNLI crew.

Comment

They are hemorrhaging viewers and desperate for any kind of attention.

Comment

Originally posted by Lang Spoon View Post
                                        Stop reading about it or watching it Guy. Staying off RT would be a good idea too.
                                        This. A peek below the line on that link will a) make you hate every single one of the commenters and b) hate yourself.

Just give it swerve.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                                          They are hemorrhaging viewers and desperate for any kind of attention.
                                          A pedant asks: How can you be hemorrhaging viewers when your viewership was already zero?

Comment

They hired Farrage in response to that set of ratings

Comment

https://twitter.com/simon_brooke/status/1422131582530465798?s=19

Comment

I wonder what Alice Roberts thinks. She's kept her opinion to herself so far.

Comment

Seeing a lot of tweets aimed at Sainsbury's asking them to stop advertising on the station.

Comment

Originally posted by elguapo4 View Post
                                                    I wonder what Alice Roberts thinks. She's kept her opinion to herself so far.
                                                    I follow Roberts on twitter.

She disagrees with Oliver and has told him so.

She has also been very critical of the government's handling of the pandemic.

Recently, Roberts has been touring the UK visiting various archelogy sites, and her twitter output has reflected that.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X