Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Antepli Ejderha View Post

Is it? Thanks for pointing that out.

Yes, it was near me, in Wallington. They had to smash the car window to get the driver out. It got a bit nasty.

Comment

Comment

I'm right in thinking there have thankfully been no reports of any injuries or casualties in London?

Comment

Originally posted by Guy Profumo View Post
          I'm right in thinking there have thankfully been no reports of any injuries or casualties in London?

Not that I've heard of. No serious injuries anyway. It was just a bit of a deluge and some localised flash flooding. Nothing too much to bother about, though it's temporarily affected services at a couple of hospitals in East London.

Comment

Originally posted by Nocturnal Submission View Post
            It was just a bit of a deluge and some localised flash flooding. Nothing too much to bother about,
            I think it was a bit more than that. I was uncomfortable about putting anything in this thread because it clearly wasn't anywhere near as devastating as the weather in the title, but I started writing something in the weather thread and then broke off because I was seriously worried about water ingress. I've never seen rainfall like that before. I've seen it that heavy but normally it passes after a few minutes as it's blown over or the sky's empty. This was over an hour at it's heaviest.

Comment

Originally posted by Capybara View Post
              I think it was a bit more than that. I was uncomfortable about putting anything in this thread because it clearly wasn't anywhere near as devastating as the weather in the title, but I started writing something in the weather thread and then broke off because I was seriously worried about water ingress. I've never seen rainfall like that before. I've seen it that heavy but normally it passes after a few minutes as it's blown over or the sky's empty. This was over an hour at it's heaviest.

Yes, like you I don't want to suggest that it comes anywhere close to what we've seen elsewhere of late, because it doesn't, but the rain was heavy and areas have been flooded. I've seen the same or worse many times though, but perhaps it was particularly bad in certain parts of the capital.

Comment

Bucketing down in SE London again. Judging from the clouds it won't last long though.

Comment

Originally posted by Nocturnal Submission View Post

Yes, it was near me, in Wallington. They had to smash the car window to get the driver out. It got a bit nasty.
                  Once I read it was Wallington, I immediately recognised it from back in the old days when we lived around the Croydon area.

Comment

Cars halt soon in Wallington

Comment

[https://twitter.com/giulio_mattioli/status/1420030585133805577?s=21

Comment

Floods in North Korea now too: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-58135753

Which could be devastating as they're already on verge of famine.

Locally, my town is flooded today, with cars trapped in floodwaters under a bridge.

Comment

And now Japan: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-58212803

Comment

Two weeks after floods and landslides left at least 37 people dead in Japan: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-53304726

Maybe the thread title should be something like "2021 global extreme flood events, likely caused by climate change", though there's no urgent need to change it.

Comment

https://twitter.com/cbsaustin/status/1426992348802727937?s=20

Comment

Going back to the opening of this thread, today I've been on a train between Verviers and Liège in both directions and the devastation in the valleys is devastating. Pretty much every house is renovating their ground floor and there are massive piles of debris everywhere (and bridges down in a lot of places)

Comment

There is a lot of concern that repairs be done before the winter, and a limited number of people to do them.

A map tells me that Verviers is closer to Eupen than I thought.

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
                                    Going back to the opening of this thread, today I've been on a train between Verviers and Liège in both directions and the devastation in the valleys is devastating. Pretty much every house is renovating their ground floor and there are massive piles of debris everywhere (and bridges down in a lot of places)
                                    Sad to read that but it's as I feared. It's a route I've travelled on many occasions and have usually used it to get through to Aachen in preference to the faster high-speed route, simply because it's such a beautiful trip along the valley.
                                    Last edited by Capybara; 13-09-2021, 18:02.

Comment

The torrential rains that turned Paris-Roubaix into a mud bath have continued to move south.

https://twitter.com/leparisienvideo/status/1445005916638793735?s=20

Comment

Lovely detail in that Parisien video that the binmen in Marseille have been on strike so the floodwater is scattering a couple of weeks' worth of binbags and garbage across the city and towards the sea

Comment

Which has left local beaches looking like this

https://www.lemonde.fr/planete/artic...7259_3244.html

Comment

Working...
                                          X