No announcement yet.

British Bangladeshi

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As Yugoslav literally means South Slav, maybe calling yourself that is just a handy catch-all term for those not wishing to reveal too much about their ethnicity.

Comment

Not relevant to the discussion, of course, but I remember the Bangladeshi War of Independence. There was a photographic image on the front page of a British newspaper which has stuck in my mind to this day. It was, I thought and think, a perfect representation of human cruelty, though I won't describe it in case it triggers someone.

Comment

The gastarbeiter I met in Germany in the 80s were from 2 broad groups- Turks from poor rural areas of Antalya, and Kurds who'd been kicked out of jobs or universities in Ankara or Istanbul for political reasons

Comment

My wife's old boss grew up in Yugoslavia and describes himself as a Serb. He comes to mind because he recently was on the front page of the SF Chronicle after he got attacked by a shark while free-diving for abalone (a series of tooth punctures on his leg which he described as "a little nibble").

Comment

List of sovereign states by date of formation here: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List...e_of_formation

Comment

The only ones which "acquired formal sovereignty" in my lifetime are: Eritrea (1993), South Sudan (2011), Brunei (1984), Cambodia (previously had sovereignty then regained it from Vietnamese occupation in 1989), Kyrgyzstan (1991), Tajikistan (1991), Timor-Leste (2002), Turkmenistan (1991), Uzbekistan (1991), Belarus (1990/1), Estonia (1991), reunified Germany (1991), Latvia (1990), Moldova (1991), North Macedonia (1991), Slovakia (1993), Slovenia (1991), Ukraine (1991), Marshall Islands (1986), Federated States of Micronesia (1986), Palau (1994), Armenia (1991), Kazakhstan (1991), Russia (1990).

Several parts of the former USSR had previously had sovereignty prior to 1918.

​​​​​​The dates on that page on Palestine and Israel seem highly dubious to me...

Anyone born in the 50s/60s will have a much longer list.

To date no countries have newly acquired formal sovereignty during my children's lifetimes, though several have tried / are attempting to.

Comment

Further to what UA said on the previous page, there were a lot of Bengali's in the office where I worked in London. Initially I assumed that meant they were Indian, as I recalled that the British/East India Co. administration of Bengal was based in Calcutta. Fortunately no offence was taken.

Comment

Originally posted by Nocturnal Submission View Post
                  As Yugoslav literally means South Slav, maybe calling yourself that is just a handy catch-all term for those not wishing to reveal too much about their ethnicity.
                  Well, I've learned something today. Nice one NS.

Comment

Working...
                  X