A mathematics and another question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A mathematics and another question

I didn't know until yesterday that Emma Raducanu has a Chinese mum and a Romanian dad (though the surname is a big clue!). Anyway, given that there are 195 countries in the world (depending on definition) how many different inter-country combinations are possible?

Also, I wonder what's the most common international romantic relationship. Canada- USA? And which would seem the most unlikely for whatever reason, whether due to population size, geography or political considerations?

The first one would be 195+194+193+...+1

But I can't be bothered to work that out

Comment

Actually no, sorry, the sequence would start with 194

Comment

Isn't Janik good at these things?

Comment

I believe its 18915
          195*194 /2

but someone else may know better.

Comment

The assumption that individuals are of a single nationality (let alone a single ethnicity) strikes me as fundamentally flawed.

That said, 195 factorial for the first question and Vatican City-Nauru for the second (the Vatican has both the smallest population of any sovereign and the most skewed sex ratio). Nauru is third smallest, but is much further from the Vatican (in every respect) than Monaco (which is second).

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
              The assumption that individuals are of a single nationality (let alone a single ethnicity) strikes me as fundamentally flawed.
              Of course. But otherwise the question takes on almost impossible permutations.

Comment

That said, 195 factorial for the first question and Vatican City-Nauru for the second (the Vatican has both the smallest population of any sovereign and the most skewed sex ratio). Nauru is third smallest, but is much further from the Vatican (in every respect) than Monaco (which is second).
                The skewed sex ratio shouldn't count for bare stats purposes, though obviously real-life considerations come into play.

Comment

You appear to be asking a question about a world that does not exist

Comment

True. All a result of last night's insomnia and an over-productive mind.

Comment

Most common percentage-of-population wise will probably be two countries that were one within living memory (eg Czechia-Slovakia, Serbia-Croatia), but numbers would point more to somewhere like Russia-Ukraine. (It may well be that based on numbers alone the most common relationship is India - China)

Comment

Plus I think ursus is wrong with 195 factorial, which is 195*194*193...*2 . That's way too high

Comment

I mean, in the real world this is obviously nonsense, as it wouldn't include my own British / Italian / Palestinian children. And wouldn't have included any children I'd have had with my previous boyfriend who would have been potentially eligible for UK / USA / HK nationality.

But leaving that aside, ursus' calculation is essentially correct. 195 factorial is 18,915, but I think the answer is 18,914 for all two country combinations. If you include people with both parents having the same nationality, there are 19,109 possibilities. I checked ursus' methodology via Google and I even went through and did 194+193+192+191 etc manually.

Comment

Emma Raducanu was also born in Canada to add to her international heritage.

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
                              The first one would be 195+194+193+...+1

But I can't be bothered to work that out
                              Actually no, sorry, the sequence would start with 194
                              There is no need to calculate an arithmetic sequence like this longhand. The numbers pair up - 1 + 194 = 195; 2 + 193 = 195; 3 + 192 = 195; etc. That gives a simple formula for calculating the total, which is s = n * ((a(1) + a(n))/2)
                              n = the number of terms, 194 in this case
                              a(1) = the first term of the sequence (1 for us)
                              a(n) = the nth term (194 here)

So in our particular example the numbers to punch in to the calculator are 194 * 97.5 = 18915

Comment

Plus I think ursus is wrong with 195 factorial, which is 195*194*193...*2 . That's way too high
                                You are correct

Comment

For most common in terms of percentage, I would also look at microstates with large neighbours: Vatican/Italy, San Marino/Italy,Monaco/France, Andorra/Spain, etc

Comment

I don't think the Vatican City is included on country lists that require UN membership (on the basis that it isn't). For least likely international couplings, certainly in recent years, North Korea sprang to mind.

Comment

Originally posted by Balderdasha View Post
                                      195 factorial is 18,915
                                      No, it isn’t. Ad hoc is right on this 195! is an enormous number as it equals 195 * 194 * 193 etc. Factorials are geometric sequences, not arithmetic ones. 195 * 194 alone = 37830 (10! = 3628800 to give an example of how ridiculously fast factorials grow)

What you want here is a statistical calculation called a combination. See here for an explanation: https://www.britannica.com/science/permutation

I will leave it to someone else to push 195! / (193! * 2!) through a calculator. But that will be your answer to how many pairs are possible, including the one of the same country.
                                      Last edited by Janik; 05-07-2021, 07:05.

Comment

The idea that Switzerland was not a "country" before 2002 (or that "countries" didn't exist before 1945) is rather risible

Comment

! is mathematical shorthand for factorial, btw. In case anyone hadn’t got that. So 5! = 5 * 4 * 3 * 2 * 1 (= 120, for the record). Etc.

Comment

Janik, is there a name for the arithmetic sequence that I have forgotten/never learned?

Comment

I used to love the other name for factorial, given its notation = "shriek" (So five shriek is 120)

Comment

The idea that Switzerland was not a "country" before 2002 (or that "countries" didn't exist before 1945) is rather risible
                                                What's this in reference to?

Comment

Actually, no need, it’s 18915 as already calculated, isn’t it. The combination collapses to the arithmetic sequence when only unordered pairs are needed.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X