Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's in the dildo looking skyscraper in London?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Get a room.

Comment

And a huge dildo

Comment

I meant to say massive but I like the word huge more. It's a great word, how it sounds when you say it. It's so very britsh yet not in how it sounds.

Comment

I'm glad you're not talking about the Shard. If that were a dildo you'd cut yourself to fucking ribbons with it.

Comment

Ah, Fatty Arbuckle. Whatever happened to him?

Comment

Ginger Yellow wrote: There's not really a story to it. It's the name of the street it's on. Which is named after the chuch that used to be there.
              You know I'd never connected the street with an old church. Here's wiki:

St. Mary Axe was a medieval parish in the City of London whose name survives as that of the street which it formerly occupied. The church itself was demolished in 1561 and its parish united with that of St. Andrew Undershaft, which is situated on the corner of St. Mary Axe and Leadenhall Street. The name derives from the combination of the church dedicated to the Virgin Mary and a neighbouring tavern, which prominently displayed a sign with an image of an axe.
              Didn't even make it to 1666, named after a pub sign. That's what you call a City Church.

btw, St Andrew Undershaft is so named because it used to have a maypole next to it.

Comment

I might just fall for "St Mary Axe" but you're not getting me on "St Andrew Undershaft". Do I look stupid?

Comment

The wiki page for St Andrew Undershaft has a picture of the exterior, and just one other photo...captioned 'The organ.' It is a marvelous looking erection, though.

Comment

TonTon wrote: I might just fall for "St Mary Axe" but you're not getting me on "St Andrew Undershaft". Do I look stupid?
                    It's a real one.

As is St Andrew By The Wardrobe.

Comment

Nothing to add to this except that this thread has reminded me why I love OTF (as if I needed it).
                      Cheers to all.

Comment

Any wanna London City Churches tour?

Comment

You know Tubby, if you're doing them in December, then very possibly. It's the kind of thing my girlfriend would absolutely love.

Bruno wrote: Are you sure it isn't a suppository institution?
                          There's an identical building in Barcelona, built by the same people, and the locals there refer to it as 'the suppository'.

Comment

Tubby Isaacs wrote: Any wanna London City Churches tour?
                            Yes. I say again, yes.

Comment

Gangster Octopus wrote: Ah, Fatty Arbuckle. Whatever happened to him?
                              Ninety years later and the calumny still sticks.

Comment

Bored of Education wrote: It's the HQ of Doctor Evil, PPV. The Shard is the head of S.M.E.R.S.H

The sandwich bars around there are a nightmare
                                You'll have to explain this to me.
                                Remember, in your UK parish here I'm a daft Croat.

Comment

Quality polemic from Ian Martin

That’s Boris Johnson there, the freewheeling ultra-Tory ox. Like me, like us, he’s having an emotional reaction to witnessing the very fabric of the city, and the air around it, and the economy around that, being aggregated into some vast equity milking parlour by the very arseholes who smashed everything to bits the last time. Obviously, the mayor simply wants them to behave in a more gentlemanly fashion, whereas some of us want them roughly arrested, electronically tagged and confined to their extinct volcano lairs, but it’s nice to know we’re on the same page.

Oh, man, and just look at London’s privatised skyline. It would be hilarious if it wasn’t so cartoonishly tragic. This one looks like a Nespresso machine. And that one, a cigar, is it? Potato? Full nappy? The utter capitulation of London’s planning system in the face of serious money is detectable right there in that infantile, random collection of improbable sex toys poking gormlessly into the privatised air. Public access? Yeah, we’ll definitely put a public park at the top (by appointment only). Oh, absolutely, we are ALL about community engagement: members of the public are welcome to visit our viewing gallery in the sky, that’ll be 30 quid, madam.

Comment

New York's been doing this for over 100 years.

Comment

Doing what?

The transfer of air rights only began in the 50s and didn't really take off until the 70s. And we still have public authorities that own and operate things like railway stations and airports.

Comment

ursus arctos wrote: Doing what?

The transfer of air rights only began in the 50s and didn't really take off until the 70s. And we still have public authorities that own and operate things like railway stations and airports.
                                        I was talking about the built environment rather than public services.

Comment

Working...
                                        X