McAfee uninstalled

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

McAfee uninstalled

Apparently found dead in a Barcelona prison, an hour after Spain had agreed to extradite him to the US.

You might think he's gone, but he'll pop up in a week to remind you he's somehow still here.

Comment

I really hope someone is writing the exhaustive book on this guy, because his last five years or so can't be believed.

Comment

Only five?

Comment

There was an article I read on him which must have been ten years ago in a tropical hideaway on the run

(he was on the run not me)
          Last edited by ad hoc; 23-06-2021, 21:23.

Comment

Fuck me Snake, I saw your tweet saying 'McAfee uninstalled' and I genuinely thought that there was some sort of OTF security upgrade going on.

Comment

Originally posted by WOM View Post
              I really hope someone is writing the exhaustive book on this guy, because his last five years or so can't be believed.
              There is a comedy video he posted a few years ago taking the piss out of people hating him for the software business he sold 10 years earlier that is, erm, pretty funny in a juvenile kind of way. It's on Youtube but is basically "Look, I sold the company for millions 10 years ago, stop blaming me, now excuse me while I spend my time snorting cocaine off strippers".

Comment

Yeah, I don't think he was a particularly complicated figure

Comment

His involvement with McAfee the company ran only from 1987 to 1994 - it's remarkable that the brand still exists, especially considering his behaviour over a long period of time, but I guess it's become like Hoover now.

Peter Norton sold off his company even earlier, in 1990, but has since lived a more blameless life. I was more of a Norton fan, especially Utilities for the Mac, which saved the day a few times for me in the early 90s. But I've never installed anti-virus software, causes more problems than it solves in my experience, and the constant interruptions with unnecessary alerts and prompts to upgrade and update are disconcerting to inexperienced computer users, like my parents.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                    Only five?
                    Yeah, even the murder thing was longer ago than I'd remembered. This time-acceleration-due-to-aging thing is bullshit.

Comment

When Intel bought McAfee's software, their plan was to get rid of his branding in favour of their own, but that proved not to work commercially, and they reversed themselves within a year or two.

Which says something about the kind of people who make IT purchasing decisions.

Comment

Suicide it seems...

Comment

Originally posted by jwdd27 View Post
                          His involvement with McAfee the company ran only from 1987 to 1994 - it's remarkable that the brand still exists, especially considering his behaviour over a long period of time, but I guess it's become like Hoover now.

Peter Norton sold off his company even earlier, in 1990, but has since lived a more blameless life. I was more of a Norton fan, especially Utilities for the Mac, which saved the day a few times for me in the early 90s. But I've never installed anti-virus software, causes more problems than it solves in my experience, and the constant interruptions with unnecessary alerts and prompts to upgrade and update are disconcerting to inexperienced computer users, like my parents.
                          Indeed, to both points.

Norton's Disc Doctor... that's a retro throwback to the days when Apple was the benign empire.

Comment

Originally posted by jwdd27 View Post
                            But I've never installed anti-virus software, causes more problems than it solves in my experience, and the constant interruptions with unnecessary alerts and prompts to upgrade and update are disconcerting to inexperienced computer users, like my parents.
                            Third-party software hasn't been necessary since Microsoft Defender. It's also the least resource intensive in my experience (and least annoying).

Comment

Originally posted by Moonlight Shadow View Post
                              Suicide it seems...
                              Well, it wasn't going to be a virus...

Comment

Trojan hearse.

Comment

According to the wireless this morning he had a tattoo that said something along the lines of "don't believe it if they say it's suicide". An upgrade on Mam and Dad I suppose.

Comment

The tattoo said "$Whackd", he tweeted a picture of last year with accompanying note that you shouldn't believe if it was suicide.

However, as many obituaries say today, his line between reality and fantasy was very much on the blurry side.

Comment

The Q mob appropriated him for their cause within hours of his death

Comment

Not sure it's appropriation, really.

Comment

Working...
                                        X