Water Under The Menai Bridge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Water Under The Menai Bridge

We've had the North Channel tunnel proposal in recent years, and the latest Johnson infrastructural wheeze to get an airing is the Irish Sea interconnector, with a tunnel that would connect Dublin to Holyhead. Not exactly practical, though the thought of driving overland from Ireland all the way through to France is intriguing.

Would a tunnel really be overland?

Comment

Well, in the Eurotunnel sense, at any rate.

Comment

The tunnel is part of the infrastructure package at the heart of UK & Ireland's joint bid for the 2046 World Cup. All host cites will be connected by HS3, and that includes Llandudno with its jaw-dropping stadium within the hollowed out Great Orme. To say "I'm excited" would be an understatement.

Comment

Pointless shite.

Comment

According to the newspaper, however, the tunnel scheme is regarded as “batshit” by several of Johnson’s senior aides

Comment

I just looked up the price of the Dublin-Holyhead ferry. Holy hell! I thought it was something so commonplace that it would be 100 pounds or so. It's well over 400. Eesh.

Comment

pre lockdown I regularly travelled to Ireland by ferry, via Wales as above and also via Stranraer (Scotland) and Liverpool. Price was about £50 each way as a foot passenger

Comment

WOM doesn't visit his mailbox on foot

Comment

Originally posted by WOM View Post
                    I just looked up the price of the Dublin-Holyhead ferry. Holy hell! I thought it was something so commonplace that it would be 100 pounds or so. It's well over 400. Eesh.
                    I have the feeling that ferry and indeed rail links are often vastly overpriced and flights correspondingly on the cheap side.

Comment

Oh, okay. Was that the car price I saw? Do you pay more for additional passengers?

Comment

The ferry companies advertise heavily over here, especially on the routes to France " take a car and four passengers for only x euros " so there's always deals.

Comment

Originally posted by Duncan Gardner View Post
                          pre lockdown I regularly travelled to Ireland by ferry, via Wales as above and also via Stranraer (Scotland) and Liverpool. Price was about £50 each way as a foot passenger
                          five or six years ago it was about a hundred quid for a return sail rail, which is a ferry over and back, and essentially unlimited travel on the UK rail network, through the simple expedient of waving your sheaf of ticket paper at someone who doesn't want to look at it/doesn't understand it.

Comment

It's dynamic pricing, so very hard to come up with a set rate, but I'm not get anything above the low 200s for a return with auto and three people in June

Comment

Originally posted by WOM View Post
                              That's presumably with a car? Was about £30 with my train ticket last time i did it

Comment

Originally posted by The Awesome Berbaslug!!! View Post

five or six years ago it was about a hundred quid for a return sail rail, which is a ferry over and back, and essentially unlimited travel on the UK rail network, through the simple expedient of waving your sheaf of ticket paper at someone who doesn't want to look at it/doesn't understand it.
                                For those in the know, ie trainspotters, a rail sail has long been the cheapest way of doing long distance UK rail travel. Eg, if you want to go from Scotland to Devon, you get Holyhead rail sail tickets for either end, but never actually do the Birmingham-Holyhead-Ireland part.

Comment

You used to be able to get a pre-booked return ticket from a north Wales station to a Dart station in the middle of Dublin (obviously including the ferry in the middle) for 38 quid. It was great to think that an international city was only 3-4 hours from my front room.

For the first few trips it was the HSS on the Holyhead-Dún Laoghaire route but the last time I went in 2010 it was the HSS on the way out and the Dublin-Holyhead normal ferry on the way back. The return journey was about twice as long.

Comment

99 minutes on the HSS, 3 hours 10 on the normal ferry.

Our back and forth was usually about 210 with the car return. The first class upgrade at 18pp each way was usually worth it, especially on the new James Joyce just for the unlimited soft drinks and food and space to stretch out.
                                    Last edited by Snake Plissken; 19-06-2021, 12:28.

Comment

Originally posted by Walt Flanagans Dog View Post
                                      According to the newspaper, however, the tunnel scheme is regarded as “batshit” by several of Johnson’s senior aides
                                      Will it be adorned by force-grown hydroponic gardens lit by "Cannabis" lamps

Comment

Working...
                                      X