No announcement yet.

Two Truths, One Lie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think that intern stole your imdb credit!

Comment

This seems to have dwindled, so I'll attempt to kick start it.

Three statements that together hint that someone should have clocked my bipolar disorder much sooner, but which is the lie?

In age order:

1. When I was 11 and told to write an autobiography at school, I structured it with two narrators, an angel and devil, who would each tell the highs and lows of my life thus far.
      2. From age 16, every four years or so I have cut my hair extremely short, pixie crop with razored sides and backs, and then grown it out to waist length. I donate the cut off plaits to The Little Princess Trust which makes wigs for children with alopecia or cancer. This started because my first boyfriend told me he "liked my long hair".
      3. In my late teens / early twenties, I ran up thousands of pounds of debt on store cards and credit cards with no means of paying it off. My parents eventually found out, cleared the debts and set up a slow repayment plan.

Comment

I'm going to go with 1 being the lie. I could be wrong, but 2 rings a bell as a story I've read, maybe on here. 3 doesn't really sound like something particularly extraordinary, mind, though in context maybe. Dunno. Anyway, 1.

Comment

I'll go with 2. I think you've been careful with money.

Comment

Originally posted by Sporting View Post
            I'll go with 2. I think you've been careful with money.
            ??? If I've been careful with money, that would suggest that 3 is the lie...

Comment

Originally posted by Balderdasha View Post

??? If I've been careful with money, that would suggest that 3 is the lie...
              Well. I know you're trying to save...

Comment

Ok, I'll wait a couple of hours to see if anyone else wants to make a guess and then tell you the true answers.

Comment

Wait a few hours more...there are folk who are working.

Comment

1 is the lie. I don't know if you've talked about the other two on here, though there's a faint flicker of a light bulb.

Comment

3 is the lie.

Comment

Originally posted by Sporting View Post
                        Wait a few hours more...there are folk who are working.
                        Do people come in here when they're not working? Pretty much every post you read on here from me is made at a point that I'm being paid to do something else.

I think 3 is the lie. I will be very disappointed if 1 is not true, and may think less of you as a result.

Comment

Originally posted by tee rex View Post
                          1 is the lie. I don't know if you've talked about the other two on here, though there's a faint flicker of a light bulb.
                          I'm sure I've heard B. mention these things. Though, admittedly, it is hard to keep a track of her life so I could be imagining it.

Comment

3 is the lie, although a friend of mine racked up large credit card debt while suffering from undiagnosed depression.

Comment

When do we find out?

Comment

3 is the lie. Well done WOM pebblethefish and elguapo4

I think that makes it WOM's turn next.

Despite reckless spending being a very well known side effect of bipolar disorder (usually during hypomania or mania) I am generally extremely financially prudent, and three was instead something my sister did (and mostly before she was even old enough to legally qualify for the cards. It was the nineties). I don't think she ever completed the repayment plan either, as she had her first child at 20 and I think my parents wrote the debt off then.

The only real financial downside I've experienced from bipolar disorder (apart from the years when I was too out of it to work) is that I found pregnancy, childbirth and breastfeeding so overwhelming that both times I failed to apply for the maternity payments that I was eligible for. Or, with the first, I did manage to apply, but didn't have the right paperwork (I needed a specific proof of pregnancy form from my GP, my daughter's birth certificate wasn't considered sufficient evidence that I had been pregnant) and didn't have the mental energy to appeal until years later when it was too late. With my first pregnancy, I had also left a long-term, full-time job with generous maternity benefits only four months before I became pregnant, but I don't regret that as it was such a high stress team that one of my colleagues worked almost non-stop through five successive miscarriages and another one ruptured her (pregnant) uterus while running to a client meeting. If I hadn't left that job I might not have been relaxed enough to get pregnant at all.

Comment

Dang.

Comment

Do you have the autobiography still Balders? I'd quite like to see an example of early-Balderdasha writing style; and it sounds intriguing...

Comment

Originally posted by jdsx View Post
                                      Do you have the autobiography still Balders? I'd quite like to see an example of early-Balderdasha writing style; and it sounds intriguing...
                                      It's at my mum's house I think, in my old bedroom which is frozen in time from when I decorated it age 13 (very psychedelic). Could probably find and scan it if I visit in future (haven't been for the whole of the pandemic but the kids would like to visit over the summer now she's been fully vaccinated).

Comment

If memory serves correct, the autobiography includes illustrations, stickers and photos. Quite the opus magnum.

Comment

Originally posted by jdsx View Post
                                          i'd like to see some shots of the psychedelic frozen in time old bedroom come to that..

Comment

Originally posted by Nefertiti2 View Post

i'd like to see some shots of the psychedelic frozen in time old bedroom come to that..
                                            I did put a photo of it on here many moons ago. I planned to draw and paint a modern street scene all over the walls but in sepia colours. I bought cream, brown and orange paint, drew the scene out on paper with various characters that I thought looked edgy but in retrospect were very clichéd, painted all the walls in cream in preparation and roped in a few friends to help. However, after it took me an entire day to draw the first life-size person on the wall in pencil, I did some calculations and decided that I couldn't be arsed to spend that long on the project. I couldn't afford to buy more paint in different colours, so instead me and my friends then mixed up the paint colours into as many different shades as we could of cream, brown and orange, got large square sponge brushes and painted overlapping swirls across the whole bedroom. To offset the crazy of the walls, I decorated the whole of the rest of the bedroom in cream, cream curtains, cream carpet, cream bedding, and pine wooden furniture, including a rocking chair that I saved up to buy myself. To this day, I love the room, but multiple other visitors including various boyfriends and my husband have all been known to refer to it as "the toilet paper bedroom".
                                            Last edited by Balderdasha; 16-06-2021, 20:05.

Comment

WOM do you want to play this round or shall I pass the baton on to pebblethefish or elguapo4 ?

Comment

I'm really struggling to think of the two things that are interesting enough that people would think they're a lie. Or something. So, yeah, let's pass the baton for now.

Comment

Go on then, I'll have a shot

1) I once dated a girl who played water polo for Great Britain
                                                  2) I once dated a girl who dressed up as Peppa Pig for a living
                                                  3) I once dated the daughter of the Sri Lankan ambassador

Comment

Well they are all true, obviously.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X