Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Poll: When will you feel ready to fly again?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Poll: When will you feel ready to fly again?

https://twitter.com/ECDC_EU/status/1392815428670476292

Even with the countries that are green or yellow here, and/or Britain, I wouldn't feel fully confident until the start of 2022 personally, but perhaps some of OTF already have their flights booked!
    Second half of 2021
    42.86%
    First half of 2022
    7.14%
    Second half of 2022
    14.29%
    Later/depends on the country
    35.71%

I'd rather not, tbh.

Comment

I flew last month. And I will again this coming Thursday

Comment

In the last ten years, I've only been on a flight for work reasons. Since work ttravel of that sort is almost certainly now going to reduce for the long term, could be quite a while yet.

As to being comfortable with the idea of flying, I'm not sure. Let's see how this thing progresses.

Comment

Possibly never (although I was already thinking that In 2019)

Comment

I'm aiming never to fly again.

Comment

I mean, I'll probably have to fly again sometime. If only to get back to Iceland. But it's always been horrible, and now I don't think I'll be able to stop thinking about the air as well as all the other awful things about flying.

Comment

I haven't flown since 2006. I can't see any reason why I would choose to fly again.
                Last edited by Capybara; 15-05-2021, 12:25.

Comment

Originally posted by TonTon View Post
                  I mean, I'll probably have to fly again sometime. If only to get back to Iceland. But it's always been horrible, and now I don't think I'll be able to stop thinking about the air as well as all the other awful things about flying.
                  The air in the aircraft is actually probably safer than in most equivalent indoor spaces in which one is packed in with people, but it's the general idea of being packed in that doesn't appeal at all. And could take a lot of getting used to again, even if/when things do end up properly safe.

Comment

I'm not in any equivalent indoor spaces though. Actually, I can't think of one. Maybe an inter-city train?

Comment

Estimates vary, but it seems that less than 20 per cent of the world's population has ever flown. This sort of reminds me of the How Much Annual Leave Have You Taken thread when holidays for most of the world simply don't exist.

Comment

Originally posted by TonTon View Post
                        I'm not in any equivalent indoor spaces though. Actually, I can't think of one. Maybe an inter-city train?
                        Yeah, an unfortunate by-product of this is likely going to be a long-term reduction in public transport usage, unfortunately.

Comment

Not until masks are not required. 18 hours of that? No thanks.

Comment

It is very hard for me to travel right now for non-COVID family reasons, so the question is rather moot, but absent those considerations, I wouldn't have a problem flying two weeks after I am fully vaccinated (so mid-June or so)

Comment

I could quite happily get on a flight to Europe, with the usual provisos (NOT RyanAir, and with some valium to take the edge off). I'd love to go to the Caribbean, but it would take a bit more - someone to go with, maybe. Australia and New Zealand seem sadly* out of reach at the moment and I wouldn't go unless I could afford at least Business Class, which seems a way off. I have enough Virgin Atlantic points to get me anywhere in economy but long-haul in economy makes me feel a bit ill.

* I say sadly, because my sister in Queensland is 72, and I don't know if I will ever see her again.

Comment

I'm with UE. Flying is unpleasant enough without being stuck in a mask too.
                                To be honest I've gone off holidays a fair bit.
                                A holiday to me is a week of sitting in the sun and reading with a cold beer and no distractions, then out late for some excellent local cuisine.
                                Not the sort of thing you can do with a cub. If I'm going to spend my holiday time entertaining the boy (which I love doing, don't get me wrong) I might as well do it here and cut out the horrific travel experience.
                                And by here, I don't mean just stay in the UK, I mean actually here at home or the surrounding area. I can't think of anything more depressing than paying loads of money to go somewhere else in the UK to stay when I'll have to travel and it won't be as nice as my house. It's only (just) worth the horror and boredom of travel to go to a different country with better food and weather.

Comment

I'm not much of a flier at the best of times, I think I've made about a dozen round trips this century. Maybe 2022, maybe later, who knows?

Comment

I've been deliberately reducing the amount of flying I do for quite some time now. I hadn't flown at all before 2000. Between 2000 and 2010 I flew at least 42 times. Between 2010 and 2015 I flew 11 times. Since 2015 I've only flown four times. We will probably fly again at some point because it is so much cheaper to go for a ten day beach holiday with the kids in the Mediterranean (and with much more reliable weather) than trying to go anywhere in the UK, but not for a while. And when I will feel comfortable flying will depend on multiple factors: case numbers, vaccination numbers, whether my kids are ever offered a vaccine, etc.

Comment

A tough question that I've been debating with myself - I'd like to get back to the UK to see my family. They've all been vaccinated at least once (and fully for my parents), I'm fully vaccinated, but neither of my kids are, and I don't think that I'm comfortable having them stuck with a bunch of strangers both in the plane itself and the airports. There's also the regulations on either end to consider, which are likely to be change between now and whenever we actually did make the trip.

Comment

I'm driving to Hastings and back Monday. That's plenty of travel for me ta.

Comment

I'd be perfectly fine getting on a plane now for just one or two hours. I'd very much like to go to Hawaii, but a 5+ hour flight with a mask on doesn't seem appealing to me.

Comment

I'm trying not to fly for various reasons but I have family in NZ and I recognise I will have to if I want to see my daughter and grandchildren again. I also want to visit friends in India and Nepal, which are difficult to get to by land without taking weeks to go via China.

So I would fly after I've had my second vaccination, but it's generally been a miserable experience and a necessary evil for some years.

Comment

My ex-father-in-law is terminally ill (it's a "couple of years" thing), so we're supposed to be flying to Florida in November to see him. It's not 100% that I'm going yet, but I'll make that flight, should I need to. I don't really want to, but I'm about as nervous a flyer as it's possible to get on a plane regardless. I've never met him before.

Comment

I'm not bothered by keeping a mask on, that doesn't seem to be a thing, for me. Not that I've noticed, anyway. Not that I've been many places. Maybe it would become a thing.
                                                Last edited by DCI Harry Batt; 15-05-2021, 18:12.

Comment

That sounds pretty tough, Ian.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X