Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Poll: When will you feel ready to fly again?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm increasingly uncomfortable and unhappy with airports (not so much the flights themselves) so any additional restrictions or constraints that may make the experience or delays worse are quite off-putting (see also Brexit). Once I've had my second vaccination, I'm absolutely fine with getting on a plane though I'd rather not have to wear a mask.

We've got a twice-deferred trip to Florida booked for June 2022, so all being well I'll be on a plane for that - and will probably upgrade to business- but if (and it's a huge if) away fans are allowed to European games from the start of next season then wherever Liverpool's first away trip is, that'll be my first flight - unless it's doable by Eurostar in a sensible timescale, that is.

Comment

God yeah, airports are awful, awful places.

Comment

I've taken, I think, ten different flights since Covid started. Oddly it was most pleasant and safest at the beginning of the pandemic when nobody was flying. Last month airports were positively zoo like again and unpleasant in their normal ways.

It's not much fun, like it never was, and nothing like as joyous as a road trip or train journey. But it's not particularly high risk for covid and it's getting lower risk all the time.

For those concerned about 6 hours in masks on a flight from, say, London to New York, you also have to factor in another 2 hours in masks at the airport before the flight, plus maybe an hour in masks while collecting bags (or much longer if going through Heathrow immigration at the moment if reports are to be believed), and possibly another hour or two at each end on public transport or in taxis or using airport shuttle buses or whatever. There's a lot of time wearing a mask. If you're going to do it I recommend taking two or three masks and swapping them out just to change the feel. The longest I did was Boston to San Diego which was about 8 hours in a mask in total.

Comment

We are going to Seattle in June for Mrs dglh's birthday of some significance. We are both fully vaccinated + 2 weeks now, so are pretty fine about it.

Though we flew in the middle of the pandemic anyway when it was thankfully quiet - to buy a house and to move (only I drove because of the animals). Sort of unavoidable stuff (I mean, we could have avoided moving if I said no to the job, but it has been kind-of-a-plan for a good while now and things would only line up once or twice a decade)

Comment

I’d be fine never flying again. But otherwise, in a few weeks, I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by TonTon View Post
              That sounds pretty tough, Ian.
              It's not as bad as it sounds, in a way. She didn't speak to him for twenty years, but they reconciled about a year ago, when he first got the diagnosis.

We're trying to cobble the money together for her girlfriend and daughter to go with them - I'd really only be going to help herd the kids on the journeys there and back; flying with a five year old and a three year old should be an adventure, though they were pretty good when she flew with them before - but it's more expensive for two of them, so if we can't do that, then I'll gladly step back and have a week of goddam peace and quiet here, which doesn't cost me a few hundred quid.

Comment

Working...
              X