What's your Rosebud?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
    I've got a lot of stuff from my childhood but I am missing some bits off my Millennium Falcon.

I would like the instructions for the big Lego Space base that I had. I've still got most of the bits so maybe I should just go and find a copy of the instructions on eBay.
    https://letsbuilditagain.com

Comment

My complete 1970 World Cup sticker album (the FKS one with Bobby Moore on the front, not the Panini one). Memories of walking to the newsagent with my younger brother to buy half-a-dozen packs and opening them all on the way home; the disappointment of yet another Edu followed by the thrill of getting Pele at last; marvelling at the names of the foreign players - Hector Chumpitaz, Mordechai Spiegler, Roland Grip still come instantly to mind; devouring the mini-biographies of each player and the clubs that they played for. Collective memories probably stronger than those I have of the tournament itself funnily enough. The album has long gone - victim of one of my father's acts of wanton vandalism that masqueraded as 'clearing out the loft of all that junk you boys don't want any more". I'm just as annoyed with myself for not having the wit to realise what a nostalgic treasure things like this would become and keeping them all safe.

Comment

Gore Vidal on the original Rosebud

Comment

Originally posted by gjw100 View Post
          My complete 1970 World Cup sticker album (the FKS one with Bobby Moore on the front, not the Panini one). Memories of walking to the newsagent with my younger brother to buy half-a-dozen packs and opening them all on the way home; the disappointment of yet another Edu followed by the thrill of getting Pele at last; marvelling at the names of the foreign players - Hector Chumpitaz, Mordechai Spiegler, Roland Grip still come instantly to mind; devouring the mini-biographies of each player and the clubs that they played for. Collective memories probably stronger than those I have of the tournament itself funnily enough. The album has long gone - victim of one of my father's acts of wanton vandalism that masqueraded as 'clearing out the loft of all that junk you boys don't want any more". I'm just as annoyed with myself for not having the wit to realise what a nostalgic treasure things like this would become and keeping them all safe.
          Highlight page - the yellow and pink shirts took this out of the ordinary.

Comment

Heh!

I've still got my album. I remember some of the South and Central American player images looking like morgue shots with the eyes stitched open plus an Israeli player who looked older than my granddad.

Comment

Originally posted by Nocturnal Submission View Post
              Heh!

I've still got my album. I remember some of the South and Central American player images looking like morgue shots with the eyes stitched open plus an Israeli player who looked older than my granddad.
              That was the aforementioned Mordechai Spiegler, wasn't it? I think my album still resides in my mother's loft, so I might get to rescue it sometime.

Comment

Comment

Twenty-five years old, apparently.

Comment

No, the old guy was Emmanuel Scheffer, the manager, then in his mid-40's. The fact that he was included in the album as a player pretty much reflects the production values that have been highlighted in previous posts.

Comment

One candidate for me would be my Bayko building sets, which I "inherited" from my much older siblings. Just wonderful. By the time the stuff got passed down to me to play with in the early 70s, it was already obsolete in the sense of no longer manufactured (since 1967 apparently), hence more or less irreplaceable. So it was devastating when the bases got broken beyond repair when a primary school friend sat his clumsy arse down on the bases when they were fixed together and sitting on a soft mattress. Someone - my Dad probably - glued the pieces together but their usability depended on absolutely precise measurement, which wasn't achieved with the glued together bases.

Why the hell did the bastards stop manufacturing the stuff?

Bayko - Wikipedia
                      Last edited by Evariste Euler Gauss; 03-05-2021, 17:25.

Comment

Originally posted by Tony C View Post
                        A wooden sky blue and white football rattle made for me by an uncle when I first started going to games at about eight years of age. Quite a piece of craftsmanship, beautifully made and carefully painted, heavy as hell, made a real racket and I took it to games for years.
                        I had one too. I painted it yellow and black, for Hitchin Town, with a rather emaciated looking canary on it. Even in the early sixties my rattle was the only one in evidence at Top Field, and almost always provided me with enough space to stand wherever I bloody well wanted.

Comment

See, sometimes I think about things like this and I lament that my Dad sold my Star Wars stuff out from under me and I consider getting a Millennium Falcon or a Snow Speeder or something off ebay. Or an old metal Eagle from Space 1999. Or a set of Empire Strikes Back trading cards.
                          And then I think, "and then what?"
                          What would I do with it? Where would it go? It'd just be pointless tat cluttering up the place.
                          The only thing I ever really got was a pair of silver and red Nike Vandals that I'd coveted for 18 months as a kid but was never allowed.
                          And then one day at the age of 35 or so, I found a pair in TK Maxx of all places. It was a truly wondrous feeling and I still get it on the rare occasions when I wear them.

Comment

I've been trying to wrack my brain for something that fits the apparent criteria (having never managed to watch Citizen Kane I can only assume...). It seems that I have Hobbes's attitude here. I just can't think of anything that I had that I actually still want. There's a bright blue cuddly cat that I lost as a 3 year or 4 year old that I was very upset about at the time but I don't know what purpose it would have now other than being something I couldn't find a home for but would feel guilty getting rid of.

Comment

It's the loss and the yearning that are important. The idea of the object and what it represented, not actually owning it again.

Comment

I don't think I'm wired that way. I'm wired for the madeleine thing - the taste of uht milk and sugary cereal takes me back to spending 6 months in a super hot apartment near Orleans as a 5 year old, or whatever, but there isn't an object that does that for me. It's tastes and smells and sounds and sights.

Comment

When I smell the needles on a Christmas tree, I'm immediately 5 again.

Comment

Originally posted by San Bernardhinault View Post
                                    I don't think I'm wired that way. I'm wired for the madeleine thing - the taste of uht milk and sugary cereal takes me back to spending 6 months in a super hot apartment near Orleans as a 5 year old, or whatever, but there isn't an object that does that for me. It's tastes and smells and sounds and sights.
                                    Yeah they're definitely different, madeleine moments are sensory,* the rosebud ones purely emotional.

*I have this thing about baked beans mixed with milk. I'm pretty sure I've only had them once in my life, and daren't try them again. My father made them for me on the day my sister was born. I'd have been two-and-a-half years-old. The taste is embedded in some way I really don't understand, and it's my entrance to that particular day, just as Proust said. But I don't have to actually eat the beans to get there. If I did I'm afraid I might not come back. Which is silly of course but I still don't want to tempt fate.

Comment

Oi, you lot! There's a dedicated thread for these reminiscences: https://www.onetouchfootball.com/for...e2#post2448140

Comment

Like tears.
                                        In rain.

Comment

I'm not sure I have one as a kid, my parents kept most of my stuff. My BRIO set is sitting in my son's room as we speak, and I am not ashamed to say I play with it more than he does!

As an adult, it's my Cooperstown Ball Cap Co. NY Giants hat. Thick wool, leather sweatband, accurate contemporary logo. It looked and felt like a hat from the 50s. I wore it on my honeymoon in Manhattan. It was a gem. Then a few years ago, I explicably lost it -- I'm pretty sure I left it on a train, but I didn't even notice for months (?!). I just wanted to wear it one day and it's gone. I got it just before the company closed, so there's no chance of me getting another one.

Comment

Couple of things.

My Dad's Jag that looked exactly the same as this plus a sunroof. https://www.erclassics.com/jaguar-xj...#lg=1&slide=14

Two t-shirts that my wife has thrown out - a Big Black one and one from a mate's band called The Cateran.

A copy Flying V guitar that I had.

All of them are from when I was reasonably old but everything else I seem to have retained or bought back versions of - my favourite toy cars, even my "Mr Galliano" books (which I read to my son and even read to my class now)

Comment

Originally posted by Flynnie View Post
                                              I'm not sure I have one as a kid, my parents kept most of my stuff. My BRIO set is sitting in my son's room as we speak, and I am not ashamed to say I play with it more than he does!

As an adult, it's my Cooperstown Ball Cap Co. NY Giants hat. Thick wool, leather sweatband, accurate contemporary logo. It looked and felt like a hat from the 50s. I wore it on my honeymoon in Manhattan.

Who wears a baseball hat on their honeymoon?

Comment

Originally posted by Nefertiti2 View Post

Who wears a baseball hat on their honeymoon?
                                                Have you been to New York City in August?

Comment

Not wishing to derail the thread, but I actually watched Citizen Kane last night, possibly for the first time. Rather than a treasured but lost childhood possession, which it wasn't (not lost, that is - it was presumably among the items that his mother sent to him when he was an adult, as he had it at Xanadu when he died), Rosebud seemed to act more as a mental gateway to happy early memories, perhaps specifically the moment at which his life changed forever, as he was playing with it in the snow when he learned that he was leaving his parents and home in Colorado to be privately schooled out East.

Sorry. Just nitpicking.

Comment

Yeah it's lost innocence I always assumed

Comment

Working...
                                                    X