No announcement yet.

Personal pronouns on social media

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah, There's a slight rolling of the R that can also be extremely helpful. You can tell when my mother is really angry when she puts seven Rs in "Bastard". A lot of this should apply to welsh speakers as well, if only because having a second language from an early age makes you automatically aware that there is more than one way of saying certain sounds so when you encounter an unfamiliar one you're a bit more relaxed about getting it right.

Comment

Say Reims.

Comment

listening to a pronunciation video, that's precisely the sort of R I'm talking about.
        Last edited by The Awesome Berbaslug!!!; 02-05-2021, 08:50.

Comment

Not only does finnish have the gender-neutral "han", but it's not uncommon to sometimes refer to people as it, "se", at least informally, from what I understand.

Comment

Originally posted by diggedy derek View Post
            Not only does finnish have the gender-neutral "han", but it's not uncommon to sometimes refer to people as it, "se", at least informally, from what I understand.
            I would say that usage of se instead of h?n in everyday spoken language is rife, at least here in the north. My understanding is that h?n was only adopted as the formal pronoun in favour of the widely spoken se comparatively (don't ask, I don't know) recently. It exclusively refers to people: even a much loved pet dog, for example, is only ever referred to using se.

Comment

Originally posted by elguapo4 View Post

I would have thought that the cultural ubiquity of Superman would have taught people how to pronounce her name.
              Or Family Guy?

Comment

Originally posted by The Awesome Berbaslug!!! View Post
                listening to a pronunciation video, that's precisely the sort of R I'm talking about.
                But how does he pronounce the name of the capital city of the United Kingdom?

(Or the United Kingdom for that matter?)

Do you use anglicised pronunciations for famous locations, and the local ones for the less well known?

(Rory McGrath has a fatuous discourse on this on his pronunciation of the capital of China, given the old form was based on a largely wilful misinterpretation of what Europeans were told)

Comment

Working...
                X