Personal pronouns on social media

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Personal pronouns on social media

The use of "they/them", "he/him", and "she/her" by trans and non-binary people can be considered a formal semiotic marker of individuality, highlighting that both gender and personal identity are nothing more than social constructs, and celebrating the evolution and malleability of such transitionality from othering to the mainstream. But does co-option of "he/him" and "she/her" by the cisheteronormative abuse the principle of intersectionality, or is it a well-intentioned, though vacuous gesture of solidarity?

Nothing vacuous about solidarity. IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by Discordant Resonance View Post
      The use of "they/them", "he/him", and "she/her" by trans and non-binary people can be considered a formal semiotic marker of individuality, highlighting that both gender and personal identity are nothing more than social constructs, and celebrating the evolution and malleability of such transitionality from othering to the mainstream. But does co-option of "he/him" and "she/her" by the cisheteronormative abuse the principle of intersectionality, or is it a well-intentioned, though vacuous gesture of solidarity?
      Ther is not enough popcorn in the world for this one.

Comment

We're not allowed to discuss this subject.

Comment

Also, cisheteronormative identity isn’t always set in stone. Many people shift in their desires, and being heterosexual doesn’t necessarily mean you’re vanilla, any more than being celibate means you’re asexual.
          Last edited by MsD; 30-04-2021, 12:30.

Comment

Originally posted by MsD View Post
            Nothing vacuous about solidarity. IMO.
            I dunno. I live in America. We get used, for shit.What would the OP have me do?

Comment

It's just people saying how they wish to be referred to, it's just a reflection that something that people long thought was settled, isn't. And if people writing he/him in their social media profile, makes someone more comfortable to write they/them if that's what applies to them then that's an unambiguously good thing

Comment

Fuck knows.

Comment

Well, it's 0:20 in the morning, and I'm in.

Fuck the fuck off. I have no issues with the world. They have issues with me. And, without pain or hurt, which part of me should I change? Right. Back the fuck off. I'm fine. Cunts like you (not you specifcally) are not.

Want to hear about the 'gay agenda'? We fucking hate Elton John. That's all there is. There is no such thing as the 'gay community'. Why? Because we are human. We hate everyone equally. That said, I love you about as much as I love my ex-husband: equidistant. Do not fuck with me. r/iamtotalbadass

Now,if you are specifically talking about trans, then I am out of this. It's not my sphere of reference. I will stand near them/you, but I will not engage, until I am allowed. No-one speaks for me, ergo, I seak fr no-one.

I can't remember why I am so angry?

Comment

Originally posted by pebblethefish View Post

Fuck knows.
                    All worship the "fuck".

Comment

Also, cisheteronormative identity isn’t always set in stone. Many people shift in their desires, and being heterosexual doesn’t necessarily mean you’re vanilla, anymore than being celibate means you’re asexual.
                      If I ever get back to the UK, I am going to buy you a full bottle of goo champagne (we share) and some decent cheese. And you can kick my ass about beehives. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ijk4j-r7qPA

Comment

Curious as to why the OP is asking the question.

(So much popcorn)

Comment

Goo champagne sounds great, if a bit sticky.

Comment

Does the OP think trans allies are being performative, or something? If it’s in the sense of showing solidarity, I put my money where my mouth is, or my mouth where my social media posts are, and nothing I say online I wouldn’t say IRL. Trans people are, more than ever, under attack. It’s important to stand with them and it costs nothing to put she/her on my profile.

I get jerks remarking “pronouns in bio, nothing you say can be taken seriously”, but they’d hate what I post (about anything) anyway.

Comment

But does co-option of "he/him" and "she/her" by the cisheteronormative abuse the principle of intersectionality, or is it a well-intentioned, though vacuous gesture of solidarity?
                              Your (ahem) binary choice leaves little room for people who think it is a good thing to normalize such presentation.

Comment

No.

Comment

I added pronouns on the bottom of my email signature as a trans colleague said it helped him feel more included to see others specifying their pronouns.

Comment

Originally posted by Gerontophile View Post

All worship the "fuck".
                                    You are Tom Cruise in magnolia, and I claim my five pounds.

Comment

Does the OP think trans allies are being performative, or something?
                                      Some people undoubtedly are, but that's because some people are just performative. But that's for them, Most people doing this are because it's a considerate thing to do. .

Comment

I really struggle to try and understand some of the gender and sexuality stuff, but completely get that modifying behaviour very slightly to improve someone's life is undoubtedly the correct thing to do.

I think our grandkids will look at how we talk about all this and roll their eyes like we roll our eyes at a racist old relative. They'll be out being whoever the fuck they want to be, with whoever the fuck they want to be with, while I'll be ruining Christmas without ever fully understanding why. "But he is a boy..." I'll say about the person who runs the local shop as my kids' kids look awkwardly at their sprouts.

Comment

Originally posted by EIM View Post
                                          modifying behaviour very slightly to improve someone's life is undoubtedly the correct thing to do.
                                          ^ This.

The village I live in is a very progressive place. Progressive to the extent that in discussion about that gender reveal party where the explosion set off earthquake detectors, one guys immediate response was "I do wish they would stop calling them gender reveal parties". I thought it was a strange first thought about a story of people goofing around with explosives for some silly exhibitionism, but he did have a very valid point.

It is all very similar to first world problems and any sense of entitlement you might have (like not being afraid you will get shot dead in a traffic stop). It has taken a generation or two to get past casual racism to looking to stand as allies. Women's rights before that. Just because this one may be a lot trickier for many of us to understand, it is not exactly a huge undertaking to go along with. Particularly when you see who the type of folks who aggressively attack it are.

Comment

Also, cisheteronormative identity isn’t always set in stone. Many people shift in their desires, and being heterosexual doesn’t necessarily mean you’re vanilla, any more than being celibate means you’re asexual.
                                            I'm drinking a vanilla beer. I know this doesn't help in any way, but it has grown on me as the quaffs continue.

Comment

I would quite like to have pronouns after my name, but I can't decide what I should put for them. I am male, and am comfortable being male, but also dislike being thought of as a "typical" male and the broad societal expectation that I should behave a certain way and like/dislike things because of my gender.
                                              Therefore I err towards preferring they/them (and that is what I prefer to use in reference to other people unless they specify otherwise), but then there's another element of laziness/cowardice in me that doesn't want to deal with anyone questioning why I would have chosen they/them due to my natural inclination to avoid potential conflict.

I should just go for it, questions be damned, I just need to build up the mental momentum to actually do so.

Comment

If I have an online student, I can't "see" which gender they are presenting and I don't want to misgender them so I appreciate the heads-up in their signature. There are also some first names that are can be either masculine or feminine (such as Terry).

Comment

Modifying behaviour very slightly to improve someone's life is undoubtedly the correct thing to do.

This is the whole of the Law.

I think the pronoun thing makes some sense in that it normalizes it. That way people whose pronouns are not obvious or conventional don’t feel excluded or put on the spot.

And, as mentioned above, it can be handy in email signatures if I really have no idea. That’s often the case with non-Anglo-American named.

On the other hand, they are all third person pronouns and I’m not sure I really care what people call me when I’m not there.

Also, on Twitter especially, I don’t want to reveal too much about myself. So my gender is NOYB.

I’m more concerned when people call Tonka “it.”

Comment

Working...
                                                  X