Earbuds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Earbuds

I'm looking for a set, with about 10m range.

But the device they connect to, may not have bluetooth (old PC's). Any advice? Or is it likely that the PC includes a bluetooth function, and I just need to plug something compatible, to find it?

it seems you ought to be able to set up a bluetooth USB dongle to help you do this. I have never tried such a thing.

Comment

Yes, that may be the way we have to go. but, its Windows 7, so it should have Bluetooth on it somewhere?

Comment

It's in the hardware section. Thanks anyway.

Comment

Soundmagic E11BT

Comment

But the device they connect to, may not have bluetooth (old PC's). Any advice? Or is it likely that the PC includes a bluetooth function, and I just need to plug something compatible, to find it?
            If i's a laptop, it might have Bluetooth (you should see the symbol in the system tray). But very unlikely an old desktop will. Even nowadays it tends to be a feature you have to specifically look for on a motherboard. So, as has been suggested, it's either a USB dongle or something other than Bluetooth. Any particular reason you want earbuds if you're going to be using it with a PC? There are plenty of good wireless headsets that don't use Bluetooth (indeed it's really not a protocol designed for two-way comms), but they tend to be over-ear jobs.

Comment

They're not for me.

The computer I had been looking at, is not the one that is the reason for the purchase, but it is a Windows 7, with a side CD in the screen (remember them?), so, I'm guessing, he'll be fine. He's a deaf old cunt* anyway, so, it's probably necessary for him.

*Terms and conditions apply

**and thanks for your replies.

Comment

Originally posted by Gerontophile View Post
                The computer I had been looking at, is not the one that is the reason for the purchase, but it is a Windows 7, with a side CD in the screen (remember them?), so, I'm guessing, he'll be fine.
                Windows 7 doesn't really have anything to do with it. It's mainly a desktop vs laptop thing, though obviously if you go back far enough Bluetooth didn't exist when the operating system was designed.

Comment

I "Yahoo Answered" it, and Windows 7 has a bluetooth capability, built-in. I just have to find it. It's my ex-husband: he knows how to connect wires to everything, but doesn't know why they work.

Comment

Windows 7 has the capability to interface with bluetooth, if the computer has the bluetooth hardware.

Comment

Exactly. The PC needs to have a Bluetooth radio. You can't tell if it does from the operating system. Like I say, look in the system tray (the arrow at the bottom right of the screen), if you see the Bluetooth logo when you click on it, you're good. But I'd be extremely surprised. Regardless, you can just get a USB dongle for less than a tenner if the PC doesn't have the radio.

Comment

Thanks both.

I was hoping that wasn't the case. I know a bit about Windows etc, and I had a good rummage (on a different computer) and couldn't find ... anyway, thanks. My fault for thinking Bill Gates could get a fucking simple job done!

*Edit: And as caja said earlier, I know they cost less than $5. But it's going to be annoying when he brings it back tomorrow, and I tell him that he has to order a part (not available in store, and, he needs the exercise).

Comment

After reading the first post I spent a worryingly long amount of time (likely only seconds in reality but still) wondering how and why you would want to incorporate Bluetooth into the type of cotton earbuds that you're not supposed to use to dry your ears (though many people do).

Comment

I'm slightly stoned, but give me some credit!.

Comment

If the 10m is inside, he may have issues with interior walls interfering with the signal, though that is almost certainly more an issue in pre-war construction like ours than in a standard LV home

Comment

I think the walls are pretty porous here (lol), and yeah, it's a 1990 build.

Comment

Originally posted by Balderdasha View Post
                                  After reading the first post I spent a worryingly long amount of time (likely only seconds in reality but still) wondering how and why you would want to incorporate Bluetooth into the type of cotton earbuds that you're not supposed to use to dry your ears (though many people do).
                                  It's just another example of the internet of things permeating our lives. It all sounds like a good idea (OK, it doesn't) until someone hacks into them...

Comment

Originally posted by Gerontophile View Post
                                    I think the walls are pretty porous here (lol), and yeah, it's a 1990 build.
                                    Please ignore Ursus' potential problem!

Comment

So, it's definitely a problem?

Fuck it, he's vaccinated, so he has 5G.

Comment

Working...
                                      X