No announcement yet.

Covid era travel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm using the experience to mentally compose an article about leadership. Every cloud and all that

Comment

It's likely that the UK will be taking a few places off the "red list" later. What the BBC almost certainly won't report, however, is that we remain on quite a few other countries' red lists, as our infection rate remains one of the worst in the world. If you were to travel from here to Hong Kong ( as we had planned to in January) you'd have to quarantine for 21 days.

Comment

I was mulling over a trip to Geneva, after the change but i then realised that as 3rd country resident it would be a ballache to get the Swiss Covid pass now mandatory to do a lot of things...

Comment

Restrictions on UK and EU travellers to the US to be lifted from November.

Comment

Aaaarrrgggggghh

The covid locator form you have to fill in to enter Ireland, is simple, quick and helpful
            The form you have to fill in to enter the UK, is a fucking absolute mess and takes forever. I've spent the last hour doing mine and I'm still not done. It's fucking awful. The UK is really a pile of shit at fucking everything

(I've done Greece and Romania before and they're pretty straightforward too)

Comment

I've now hit a complete wall, because to enter NI you don;t need to book a test package, but the form doesn't recognise this fact, and I can;t go forward.

Comment

Turns out that I probably don't need to fill it in at all (something connected to the border non border thing)

Comment

This seems useful for anyone flying in to the UK
                  https://www.euronews.com/travel/2021...ries-explained

Comment

Good luck sneaking into the UK ad hoc, hope it goes more smoothly than the form filling.

Comment

I can confirm that anyone who needs to travel to the UK should go via Ireland. Easy to fill out forms that ask logical questions and are user friendly. Well checked (I changed planes in Munich and there we had to have all our documentation checked, and scanned and we were then given a sticker on our boarding cards, so it all felt very well processed). The address I've submitted is the one in Belfast, so I feel like there is a system in pace should anyone on the plane come down with something. Whereas arriving in the UK (by plane, not by land from Dublin) you need to book tests and pay loads of money to some dodgy private company many (probably most) of whom are just set up to facilitate the transfer of money from visitors to Tory donors. I'm hoping to come at Christmas and at the moment i am seriously considering flying to Dublin, getting the bus up here and then travelling from Belfast to England.

Comment

I think I imagined Belfast would be a more hopeful place.

Comment

How long are you there for?

It does take some time to get a proper sense of it in my experience.

Comment

Here till Sunday but this is my day off

Walked around the Falls Road and Shankill Road this morning

It's the very visible presence of the continued division that's got to me. The "Peace Wall" is filled with graffiti written by hopeful tourists praising peace. But it's first and foremost a massive fucking wall that divides two communities from each other. And the infrastructure of division has notably not been torn down. The massive gates are open but they still seem to be in working order.

Think I was just a bit naive. It's a truce not peace (yet, anyway)

Comment

Very much so

Though to those of us that visited during The Troubles, the difference is palpable

Comment

The Peace Wall. Emphasis on the Wall

Comment

Normal houses. Behind them a massive fucking notnormal wall.

Comment

The good side is they no longer get balls in their yard.

Comment

Man, what would the Tompkins Square era dglh think of that comment?

Comment

Northern Irish misery has been a part of my life for longer than it hasn’t. just looking for positives like in Alphabet City when he mice meant at least you didn’t have rats…

Comment

Trouble on the Lower East Side is when the rats start eating the mice

Comment

That sounds so much like a mafia boss threat, but I think it's literal.

Comment

Morocco is the latest country to tell the UK "you take us off your red list if you like, but we don't want you coming here". All flights to and from UK cancelled as of tonight, which presumably leaves quite a few autumn sunseekers stranded in their hotels in Agadir and Essaouira.

Comment

They also cancelled flights to the Netherlands and Germany.

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
                                                  Normal houses. Behind them a massive fucking notnormal wall.

Normally I'd say that's the nationalist side of the wall, with none of the number plates having the "GB" bit. But now with Brexit, hardcore unionists probably want to get rid of the GB bit of the number plate on account of the EU flag.

Comment

It is the nationalist side, taken from the upper end of Falls Road opposite the Divis

Comment

Working...
                                                    X