No announcement yet.

Covid era travel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

They are banned at most/all major US airports for noise reasons.

Comment

I guess there aren't such regulations here.

Comment

Thanks Erdogan

It also necessitates a lot of people working really unpleasant hours

Comment

Izmir airport is also more or less in the city. Or at least on the edge of it.

Comment

Bit of confusion with the young, obviously new to the job, woman checking me in. Looked a bit confused and worried at my passport and exchanged words with her colleague on the next desk, the bits of which I understood were "English passport" and "Dubai". I resisted the urge to correct her on the nationality of my passport and instead wondered why she was talking about Dubai. Then the penny dropped (hey, it is 3am)and I pointed out that I wasn't flying to Dubai but Dublin.

Comment

When I went to Mexico my flight landed at about 1:40am, and Benito Juárez International is really not very far away from the middle of Mexico City. Well, actually I've just looked it up on Google Maps to make sure I wasn't misremembering and it turns out it's actually right on the border between Mexico City and Mexico State, but it's walking distance – perhaps not walking distance with a suitcase, but walking distance if you for some reason fancied a stroll in that direction – from the Zócalo, which is Mexico City's central square, and very much central to the urban sprawl. I seem to remember my return flight taking off either just before or just after midnight, as well.

Comment

Oh, and further to ad hoc's airport confusion: the first time we went to the UK as a couple (edit to add: me and my girlfriend, not me and ad hoc), when we went to Bristol Airport for our flight to Berlin we were held up at check in for about twenty minutes because the woman behind the counter had never seen an Argentine passport before and called her manager so they could have a chat about whether or not it was fake (not because it looked fake, but because she didn't know what a real one was meant to look like). It was only the knowledge that we all have to be well behaved at airport check-in desks that kept us from pointing out that the idea of someone travelling around the EU (as we then were ...) on a fake passport from an EU member state might be something that would happen, but doing so on a fake Argentine passport really sounded pretty fucking unlikely.

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
                  If any European residents (and as far as I can tell that means European not just EU) are interested, interrail tickets are half price this weekend. For adults over 27 that means €335 for a month's travel - starting any time in the next 11 months. I reckon it's an absolute bargain and me and mine are going to take advantage

https://www.interrail.eu/en/50th-ann...adventure-sale
                  Just spotted this. Maybe for the best I missed the closing date as I might have forgotten financial discipline and blown £300 on a ticket

Maybe a more modest week in Benelux instead...

Comment

I'm in the longest airport security queue I've seen since October 2001. It's moving mercifully fast but it's practically occupying practically half of the entire check in desk area of Dublin Airport

Comment

Stag and hen parties?

School holidays?

Industrial action?

Comment

I dunno. If it's industrial action then there are a lot of scabs as it doesn't seem to be short staffed. I don't think it's school holidays (is it? Calling Irish posters). The majority (in my estimation) are not native English or Irish speakers.

Comment

That's what I would have guessed on a late Sunday afternoon

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
                            I dunno. If it's industrial action then there are a lot of scabs as it doesn't seem to be short staffed. I don't think it's school holidays (is it? Calling Irish posters). The majority (in my estimation) are not native English or Irish speakers.
                            Security queues have been horrific since travel began again in serious numbers. The airport authorities promised to increase staffing. I think everyone just wants to travel after two years of lockdown.

Comment

Working...
                            X