Covid era travel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Covid era travel

So, here’s a little story of a Covid era adventure. I didn’t mention this last week, partly because I was somewhat nervous about it, and partly because I get the feeling that there are some here who will feel that this story is somehow indicative of personal failings on my part (I’m not saying that this would be unfair). I share now, however, because it might be of use or of interest to anyone else who may be in some sort of similar situation. Plus, the whole experience has, in some way, been liberating, and this feels like a big moment for me, and so maybe it helps others.

The Thursday before last I got contacted by a place in Istanbul about doing some work for them. It wasn’t training work, but more consultancy/curriculum development stuff. I assumed they meant that the work would be online, but when I discussed with them they said, no really we’d actually like you to come and work with us as we think it will be more productive. I responded that I didn’t think that was really possible, and that travel seemed a long way off, but they’d looked into it and discovered that at least theoretically it was possible. I’m not really in a position to turn work down at the moment, so in the end, with a great deal of trepidation (but at least with the knowledge that I’m fully vaccinated), I agreed. They wanted me to fly out last Monday, work Tuesday to Friday and then return home on Saturday. As it turned out, Turkey requires you to have had a PCR test up to 72 hours before arrival (regardless of vaccination status), and that wasn’t possible for me to arrange before Monday, so I had to leave on Tuesday instead. So, anyway, I won’t bore you with the whole test, results, etc palaver, but in the end I was on my way to Bucharest airport on Tuesday morning to catch a 9.30 flight to Istanbul. Various websites suggested that I arrive to the airport 4 hours in advance, but I felt that was a touch exaggerated, and I ended up arriving about 2.5 hours before my flight. Luckily, it turned out, because in fact there was absolutely nothing I could have done before check in opened, and check in opened 2 hours before the flight, so had I got there at 5.30 it would have been an incredibly long and boring wait. The departures board at Bucharest airport showed very few flights – for the whole day. In normal times this would have been the number of flights that would have been departing roughly every hour.

https://ibb.co/m5Zrj9Q][/url]

Check in was slower than normal, because there is extra paperwork. I needed to show my PCR test as well as a document I’d had to download and fill in for entry into Turkey. But it just took a bit longer, there was no real hassle involved. The security line on the other hand was, as you might expect, much much shorter than usual, because there were so few planes. My only real moment of hassle in the whole process was going through passport control - and this was not related to Covid, but to Brexit, which of course is the other thing that happened since I last flew. I was asked when I had entered Romania, to which I responded that the last time had been about 15 months ago, just before Covid shut everything down. Now I’m a citizen (sorry “subject”) of a third country, I’m no longer allowed to be in the country for more than 3 months a year, unless I have residency status – which obviously I do, so I had to get that out, and have it checked and inspected, and a senior-er person come over to check too.

Anyway, I got through, got on board eventually (plane was full), and bemasked flew over to Istanbul (there is no in flight service anymore). On arrival, Istanbul airport (unsurprisingly) was much busier than Bucharest, but the usually very long immigration queue was short and was only held up by me, because again we had a whole British passport moment. This time not Brexit related, but because Turkey currently doesn’t allow people to travel from the UK (Covid). So I had to explain that I hadn’t actually been in the UK since 2019, and eventually they let me go through (by the way, in case anyone is interested, I learned through this process that Turkey no longer requires a visa for UK citizens, which is a new thing I hadn’t known had changed. I used to have to get a new multiple entry e-visa every 6 months for about 20 euros a time)

So I arrived on Tuesday, just as the current spike in numbers in Turkey had provoked the government into shutting stuff down. Tuesday was also the first day of Ramadan. It was, let’s say, quite a time to arrive in the country. Cafes, restaurants, bars etc were all closed and only available for takeout. Places with tables outside you could eat at, but not sit down to do so (I’m not really sure how that helped stop the spread of covid, but hey). On Tuesday everything closed around 10 or later, but after Tuesday, it was more like 7. Supermarkets were a bit manic, especially just as curfew hour approached (anyone doing Ramadan for example, and who was having to go their place of work, would probably have an hour max to buy food for the evening after sunset). I got put in a flat, which was a good thing, because at least I could cook for myself in the evenings, though on a couple of occasions I got taken out for dinner, in secret, to restaurants in bigger hotels which had to remain open for tourists. Theoretically for guests only but I guess there are ways around that. My employers were very apologetic, and said that they were so sorry they had brought me when I couldn’t do anything (plus I think they really struggled with the natural Turkish need to be incredibly hospitable and the inability to easily be so). In fact it was basically fine from my perspective, I missed the opportunity to go out wandering and sit down for some amazing meze, but that aside, all was OK.

After I’d had to push back the work until Wednesday, the plan had been to shift to working Weds-Sat, but the weekend involved a whole new set of restrictions – basically the whole weekend was on a strict curfew from 10pm on Friday until 5am on Monday. Except for tourists (or at least anyone non-resident in Turkey). So, while I could have gone into the office on Saturday, nobody else could, so we did as much as we could in 3 days. On Saturday, I wandered around an empty city of 15 million people. This for example is Istiklal street at 11am on Saturday morning. Everyone familiar with Istiklal will know that it is probably not even this quiet at 4am on a Tuesday, and at 11 on a Saturday? It’s utterly rammed. Think of Oxford Street on a Saturday just before Christmas. And multiply by ten.

https://ibb.co/MpVxdt4][/url]

I wandered past the Galata Tower, which I’ve never actually been up before and discovered to my surprise that it was open. So, partly because it was cold and raining and partly because I thought it would be as good a time as any to go up it, I got myself a ticket (a new small wrinkle here when I had to produce a “HES Card” which I’d never heard of but turned out to be some form of internal covid-free certificate. But the guy in the ticket office looked up my passport number, and created a QR code of my HES which I then took a photo of (a photo of his phone screen) and then the rest of the day I could use that in the few places where I needed it). It was nice and warm inside, and there are places to sit, which was good. The viewing gallery was a bit of a write-off because it was so cold and wet, but I still did it, before retreating to the warmth and the benches. There were a few tourists around who were doing the same. (As an aside, the majority of tourists I encountered appeared to be Russian, and I learned that last week Erdogan and Putin had a spat over Turkey’s support for Ukraine joining NATO and now all flights between the two countries have been cancelled, so I have no idea how those people are getting home – probably some of them were Ukrainian, as my language skills can’t tell the difference between the two languages, but I’m sure at least some must have been Russian)

(Turkey as North Korea)

https://ibb.co/D9ytDGX][/url]

Wandered down to the Galata Bridge and across the Golden Horn, where to my surprise one or two of the fish restaurants were open, and I got enticed inside for some actual meze and even a beer. Then wandered up to Sultanahmet, the most touristy district, where it seemed actually most things were open, even carpet and leather shops, which don’t really seem like essentials, but hey. There did turn out to be quite a few tourists around. Nothing like normal obviously, but still more than I imagined.

Anyway, it was a weird, odd, peculiar, cold day to be in Istanbul.

Coming home last night was pretty smooth. Needed to prove I was resident in Romania to board the plane, and on arrival in the “yellow line” (for flights arriving from high Covd case countries – Turkey is currently number 4 in the world behind India, Brazil and somewhere else (the US?)), had to go and talk to a doctor (well I assume she was a doctor, she wore a white coat and a stethoscope), and show my vaccine certificate, and the form I’d filled in and she stamped me “Exceptat” (so I am excepted from quarantine).

A much longer post than i planned. But Tactical Genius has been telling me there is no reason I can't fly to the UK, and it turns out that it's actually pretty easy, so come May, I'll be over to meet up with my family and a few friends hopefully. I guess Thonning is still out of the question, but no matter. Soon.

Oh, and their suggestion that we'd get more done if I was there was so true. The interaction and mixture of formality/informality of face to face work is so much more effective and productive than doing things through Zoom. And the whole "team learning" stuff is not even comparable.

Comment

Thanks for sharing, ad hoc. I've completed two work-related trips from Kilimanjaro airport; both to Egypt via Addis (one to Cairo and one to Alexandria). I encountered a mix of the educated and the fucking ignorant - mostly co-travelers. Worst nationality for following airline and airport COVID-19 instructions - Russian, for some reason, followed by holiday-making Italians. Face-to-face training was so much more productive that online presentations - even to the extent of seeing delegates nod off after lunch when I'm doing impostor detection (a learned art). Both my trips necessitated a fairly long stint in transit at Addis (my most unfavourite airport) and a boring wait for Port Health to examine my PCR test certificate and have my temperature taken - but it sort of worked. I've got plans for a week in Addis and two weeks in Tunis before traveling back to the UK for a family break. My daughter will be using the Tunis trip as a means of avoiding the shitlist country compulsory hotel quarantine (as we will be spending 14 days in Tunis before arriving back and therefore benefit from self-isolation rather than HMP Travelodge).

Comment

Two images - snapshot of air travel for three specific airlines:

Emirates, Etihad and Qatar Airways flights 2019 vs 2021:

Wed, 17 April 2019 14.00 UTC: 298
        Wed, 14 April 2021 14.00 UTC: 213

Comment

Figures include cargo, but it's interesting to see that flight figures are on the increase, though not yet near to pre-pandemic levels.

Comment

Really interesting, thanks to you both

The photo of Istiklal is literally unbelievable, while the other one is chilling.

Comment

Not plane related but a train update...My Saturday service to Chester was busy, it was clear when I was outside the station whilst waiting for my connection that a lot of people were going there for alfresco hospitality. My service to Bangor was busy until Rhyl where it disgorged most of its passengers for fun by the seaside (which looked busy). On the return, both services were moderately busy. Most people acting safely.

The A55 did not seem very busy on my way back on Sunday, i know how busy it gets in normal time and I was a bit surprised...

Not too bad an experience, on a day like Saturday I would have been on a stupidly packed train between Chester and Bangor in normal times.

Comment

A friend of a friend has gone from Guernsey to Greece in the passenger seat of a driver with a French passport without ever being asked to show her own passport.

We still have Istanbul bookings for July because we can't reschedule them to next year until the 2022 flights open in five weeks' time. Even if travel were permitted this summer, the trams in Istanbul were heaving the last time we went and I presume therefore that social distancing is not an option on them (similar to the tube and buses in London AFAIK).

Greece is apparently opening a corridor to US citizens but not non-citizens like me and Mrs D.
                Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 19-04-2021, 10:47.

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
                  A friend of a friend has gone from Guernsey to Greece in the passenger seat of a driver with a French passport without ever being asked to show her own passport.

We still have Istanbul bookings for July because we can't reschedule them to next year until the 2022 flights open in five weeks' time. Even if travel were permitted this summer, the trams in Istanbul were heaving the last time we went and I presume therefore that social distancing is not an option on them (similar to the tube and buses in London AFAIK).
                  London 'buses are taping off seats and operating at lower capacity to ensure distancing. I've only made one return tube journey during the present lockdown and there was only one other person in the carriage in both directions. This was before the shops opened again, mind.

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
                    FWIW Satchmo, Turkey is doing everything it can to make tourism possible (as alluded to in my story above). This HES code thing, ensuring that things are open for them, etc. I took a tram on Saturday and it was fine social distancing wise, but this was on a curfew day, so may not be representative. But you can get around by taxi if necessary, and by ferry (on which you can be outside). (And prices, inc taxis etc) are very low (for us) because the Lira has tanked so much. Mask wearing was pretty much universal if that helps.

Comment

Originally posted by Capybara View Post
                      London 'buses are taping off seats and operating at lower capacity to ensure distancing. I've only made one return tube journey during the present lockdown and there was only one other person in the carriage in both directions. This was before the shops opened again, mind.

I'm not sure that this is still in operation. I was on a couple of buses yesterday and don't remember seeing any taping off, though I was admittedly a bit squiffy. The train and tube I was on were pretty full too.

Comment

I've done a handful of flights mostly inside the US, as I have mentioned before. Last July when we were moving house flying was incredibly safe because nobody was doing it and the airports were deserted. In late November we took a trip to Bermuda which had all kinds of regulations of PCR testing at the US side and Bermuda side, and with fairly empty planes, and fairly strict quarantine protocols until you got your test results from the Bermuda side. The planes were fairly empty, the airport fairly empty, nothing was open in the airports. Then in Feb we took a week in San Diego. JetBlue were very good about protocols, but the airport in Boston was getting busy, and it was just on the verge of enough to make you nervous. And last month we took a long weekend in Charleston, SC. The airports are definitely getting busier, but what was really noticeable was our first trip on a "budget" airline - the return on Southwest - was that they were much more lax about crowding people into the gate areas. And the change in Baltimore felt incredibly busy, like we were in the pre-Covid era around Christmas. It was full blown zoo, and there were people who were really bad about masking. Southwest was the first to not explicitly block out middle seats, too, and while we were lucky to be on empty enough planes that it wasn't an issue, I would have been very uncomfortable in 3-to-a-row.

Comment

Travel to the UK involves a test no more than 48 hours before you fly (With results in English or French) buying two Covid tests in advance and filling in an online form.

Then ten days quarantine with tests on days 2 and days 8 If you are coming from a non-red zone country you can quarantine at home - if not you have to go to a hotel.They ring to check you are keeping quarantine. You can pay extra for a test to release kit which will allow you to leave after if you are negative on day 5.

one of the minor irritations is choosing from the incredibly long list of suppliers on the government website-the tests mostly seem to be done by the same lab but there are lots of people getting in on the action- I guess all related to Matt Hancock in some way or other

Queues at Heathrow can be very long, I've heard of up to six hours.

Comment

My wife and daughter flew to Portugal from Stansted at the weekend. It was very quiet, the car park was totally empty. We thought we were doing well for time and we were in no rush, but hadn't taken into account how long it would take to do bag drop off given the need to present various certifications. A man in front of us was not allowed to check in due to missing PCR certificate and he went nuts and eventually needed restraining by staff members, then the police. This meant check in was further delayed and we only just managed to get the bags in before the check in closed.

Big rush to then get to departure, meant I barely got time to say goodbye. I drove my car out of the mind-bogglingly expensive car park and waited a while outside, pretty sure they wouldn't get to the flight on time, but they did. There were little to no checks in Portugal.

I'm hoping travel restrictions will be reduced further in time for the half-term holidays and I will get to make a visit to see them, otherwise I won't get to see them again until July, by which time we will be moving to Mexico.

Comment

In the last year I've been to Canons Park, Sudbury, Pinner, South Ruislip, Sudbury Hill and Kenton.

Comment

So, I'm coming to England on Thursday morning (want to get myself a bit of that Indian variant action), which is an act which is filled with a number of minor irritations, but I really feel I need to make this trip for the sake of my mum, really. I need to get a PCR test here tomorrow, followed by 2 in England (at very high cost - goes to a private company natch). But you know rules is rules. I have to isolate at my mum's (we're both fully vaxxed up so I'm not worried about creating any danger here), which will be an ...interesting...experience. She warned me yesterday that she's not had a guest for 18 months, and in normal times, I think we max out at about 4 or 5 days together before the friction gets to us. However, maybe the length of time it's been will mean that we can stretch this out a fair bit. Who knows, after all, how long it will be before my next trip. Will let you know how the whole experience pans out (the travel bit I mean, I won't bore you with the details of my interactions with my mother)

Comment

Very pleased that you are able to do this and wish you both the best

Comment

Good luck....

Been pondering when i can visit again my hometown. Fully vaxxed as of 15th of June, so early July onwards and depending on what freedoms it entails in term of pcr tests/quarantine. I think it might still be a while with the new variant concerns...

Comment

Made it.

Some minor concerns aside turned out to be OK really,just involves a lot of paperwork. Got a bit nervous when I finally got round to filling in all the forms - knew I needed to take a test in Romania, book and pay for 2 tests here and complete an extensive "passenger locator form" - got my test on Tuesday morning and then in the afternoon started filling out the rest. Need to buy the tests first because you need a ref no. But then I came to the locator form and it said "you must complete this form 48 hours before arrival. But it was already Tuesday afternoon and I was due to arrive at 8.30 this morning. So I went ahead and did it anyway and hoped for the best.

Biggest bottleneck in the day was at the gate, boarding in Bucharest. I'd checked in at the check in counters as I had a bag so had gone through all the checks (all my docs were looked at etc) as had most people, but of course there were a number of people who checked in online and had no bags to drop off so had just gone straight to the gate - but of course they has to have all their paperwork checked there and a few didn't have what they needed so there was a lot of stressed people and a stressed gate person and lots of arguments and people trying to complete their stuff online at the last minute.

No problem here at Heathrow. Queue was only about 20 minutes (and I had been warned to expect potentially hours). The border person barely looked at my paperwork (just confirmed that I had the locator form.

But holy shit the tube! I've never ever been on an empty tube train in London before but in all the 24 stops or whatever it is between Heathrow and King's Cross I think I had a maximum of two other people in the same carriage as me. I guess I hadn't quite realised what real lock down looks like. And this is after significant loosening...

Comment

Hope your stay is enjoyable, ad hoc.

Comment

I know that there have been lots of issues with anything related to track and trace or what have you, but just to let you UK people know, that I get a phone call every day to ostensibly ask me a couple of questions (but in actual fact, I presume, to check up that I'm where I said I would be). Mind you the testing service that I booked is a bit rubbish - I sent off my first test on Saturday morning and have heard nothing back since. By now they must have run the tests. Anyway, no matter.

Comment

Apologies if you mentioned it earlier (or don't want to say), but what's the cost of the tests?

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
                                              I know that there have been lots of issues with anything related to track and trace or what have you, but just to let you UK people know, that I get a phone call every day to ostensibly ask me a couple of questions (but in actual fact, I presume, to check up that I'm where I said I would be). Mind you the testing service that I booked is a bit rubbish - I sent off my first test on Saturday morning and have heard nothing back since. By now they must have run the tests. Anyway, no matter.
                                              I told you it was not as stressful or bothersome, as you seemed to think it would be.
                                              It was a lot easier a few months ago (I'm talking slap bang in the middle of the second wave).
                                              The daily phone calls can be a pain as they have no idea where you are when they call you, it's just a box ticking exercise.
                                              My test cost me ?98, the day 2 test didn't arrive so i called the NHS number and they sent me out a test which arrived on Sunday and i returned this morning.

So I took the day 2 test on day 5, I assume the next test kit will not turn up, so the company I paid for the test have not provided a service and the NHS are doing their job.
                                              I was in the queue at Heathrow for about 30 minutes, there was enough staff, but it was slowed by people not having the correct paperwork, The border guard, only briefly glanced to see if I had a negative Covid test and a passenger locator form. I'm not sure where this 6 hour queue stuff is coming from, All the people I know who have travelled, the longest wait has been an hour.

Comment

Eldest flew to Melbourne on Sunday for a week of work. Then four community cases arose in north Melbourne so he flew back again to avoid any worsening of restrictions. We had already cancelled our trip to Kakadu to avoid flying and will be touring the South East and South West of WA instead.

I find it strange that fully vaccinated people have to go through the process described above. Is it really necessary or a money-making exercise?

Comment

You can still get it and spread it around even if you're fully vaccinated.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X