Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Northern Ireland

https://twitter.com/juliet_riddell/status/1380270334180474881?s=19

I've not seen a thread and lots of things have gone on other threads so I thought I'd create one.

This is well worth watching again.

Happy to change the thread title if anyone objects.

Comment

Aye, change it to Ultonia

Comment

1 - 1 against Ukraine though they're going to miss Rachel Furness

Comment

1-2 ​​​​​​

Comment

I thought this was a good essay- would love to know the thoughts of Duncan and others better informed than I am

..the British state spent decades building this bonfire.

The riots across Northern Ireland this week are the death spasms of the United Kingdom, killed off not by Irish or Scottish nationalists, but by an English ruling class that has turned in on itself.
            This stat leapt out

Between 2011 and 2019, Northern Ireland’s schools had their spending cut by 11% the deepest slashes anywhere in the UK.

Comment

Thanks Nefertiti2 . Agree with almost all of Ramsay's article even if the opening is a bit florid (he and most of those quoted are or have been Green Party hacks).

A likely outcome in the next few years is the reordering of politics locally as old fashioned Unionism shrinks to a rump and the non-Nationalists turn to Alliance, Green and the Left. The DUP are stymied whether they pander to their right wing or try to offer something to the middle classes

Comment

You'd know better than me of course DG, and I hope that you're right, but crushing the gangsters on both sides has got to be a priority. Something like the Criminal Assets Bureau would be a start.

Comment

ATTACKS on homes in Carrickfergus attributed to loyalists intent on intimidating Catholic residents has been condemned as "raw, naked sectarianism" by a local MLA.

Three properties in the town's Woodburn estate were targeted in attacks on Wednesday, with windows smashed at houses in the Cherry Walk, Glenfield Walk, and Pinewood Avenue areas.

A PSNI spokesperson said "a man wearing a balaclava" was seen running away following the incidents in Cherry Walk and Pinewood Avenue, which occurred shortly before 9.40pm.
                  More here

Comment

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...droidApp_Other

DUP Peer has to take Life in the UK test to get British citizenship.

Comment

NI has remained the poorest part of the UK throughout the past decade and beyond. This has been factored into depressingly little of the analysis, particularly from Brexit obsessives on both sides, obsessed as they are with their "the referendum result fell from the sky and changed everything" narrative.

I think DG's predictions might be right up to a point, but the old sectarian divides have proven pretty durable through two decades of relative peace. Also of interest is how this impacts on the small but growing migrant communities in the six counties. Some friends of my sis (who's currently residing in the lower ormeau-ish part of south Belfast) live right on an 'intersection point' and were talking about how many new immigrants have set up home in such areas cos it's cheap to live in. Must be pretty bewildering and frightening for them.

Comment

Would be sadly familiar in broad outline for some (while specifics would obviously be bewildering)

Comment

No more Arlene:

https://twitter.com/SJAMcBride/status/1387062909935755265

Comment

Originally posted by E10 Rifle View Post
                            I think DG's predictions might be right up to a point, but the old sectarian divides have proven pretty durable through two decades of relative peace
                            The Sectarian divide is durable, it's broad public opinion in England that has changed. From indifferent to hostile. Which is making it increasingly difficult and illogical to be a Unionist

Also of interest is how this impacts on the small but growing migrant communities in the six counties
                            In the short to medium term bleakly I fear, as the areas where migrants live are likely to see rioting, mass population moves etc

Comment

One factor in Fosters unpopularity is her stated intention to move to England [if there is a United Ireland]

If she wasn't a politician this wouldn't be that remarkable. Her husband is a retired copper, their teenage children are likely to move away to study or work. But thousands of other DUP votes don't have that luxury

Comment

Our deliveries have been postmarked with 'Our Story in the Making: Northern Ireland beyond 100'. It makes me wonder, 'How far?'

Comment

Quite handy - or perhaps not - that Monday is a bank holiday anyway.

Comment

Edwin Poots is reportedly the frontrunner to become First Minister - against the Protocol, gay rights and the theory of evolution, so would seem a gift for Alliance.

Comment

And Foster has gone. Well in June she'll go.

Comment

This seemed to happen very quickly. Whoever takes over, it won't be good for inter community relations.

Paisley and Mc Guinness made it work because they were both religious believers heading towards their later years, who felt the need to leave a mark, after all the evil that they were responsible for. The current mob on both sides barely remember the troubles ,and have no scruples igniting tensions .It's looking like the late 60s all over again.

Comment

Eastwood, in fairness, is a moderate, as are elements in the UUP, unfortunately both parties are marginal in the broader NI political scheme.

Comment

So Foster is carrying the can for Johnson's perfidy on the border and her unwillingness to kowtow to the wingnuts on conversion therapy?

Very healthy party, this.

Comment

Kevin S NI- or something with the same border- is likely to survive the breakup of the British State- basically because trying to fold it into the Republic like East Germany in 1990 would risk failing a second state. I predict some form of effective autonomy, God knows for how long
                                              elguapo4 I'm afraid it's old guard DUP like Poots, Wilson and Campbell who are a) likely to take over and b) don't seem worried about reviving the violence of their youth

Discordant Resonance as ever I disagree about supposed Unionist moderation.

NI politics is now basically 3 squabbling minorities, so really everyone is marginal until some new semi stability develops

Comment

3?

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                                                  So Foster is carrying the can for Johnson's perfidy on the border and her unwillingness to kowtow to the wingnuts on conversion therapy?
                                                  She should get soe of the blame for the border given that she was, not exactly holding May hostage on Brexit but certainly hovering silently in the background smacking a club into her open palm.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X