Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The internet of everything or Everything's got to have a bloody computer in nowadays.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I didn't have to configure Google photos. It just kind of said "do you want to do this?", I shrugged and said, "yeah, okay then", and it just does it now. I think it deals with passwords in a similar way.
    ​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by Levin View Post
      Eggchaser what you needed a few years ago is a password manager. I mean you could still do with one but it would have really paid dividends now if past you had got one. Not that I have a recommendation as I'm still looking for an alternative to lastpass.
      Bitwarden.

You can export your passwords out of LastPass as a CSV and import them into Bitwarden. Did it myself a few weeks ago.

Comment

I still prefer to have all my photos on my laptop and still use an old fashioned back up device. I find they’re easier to edit this way and to sort. I spent lockdown 1 sorting out photos, deleting duplicates and crap photos and sequencing them filing them more logically.

more recentlyI’ve been sorting old family videos and discs - again putting them on the laptop, cataloguing them, sequencing them and backing them up. This project was not without its problems which involved a lot of googling and a lot of hefty donations to the swear box.

we have our 25 and 17 year old kids living with us which in a way is great for resolving problems. However they do this at a 100 miles an hour which means I’ve no clue what they’ve done which means thatI’ve no idea how to fix the problem the next time it happens. When I say “I wanted you to show me how to fix the problem”, that’s normally met with a comment like, “yeah, that would probably take me the rest of my life”

having said that technology can be wonderful. I was in hospital for 6 weeks last year. I had my own room and for the last two weeks I did 80 zoom or FaceTime calls catching up with family and friends, many of whom we had seen for many years and many who live abroad. In fact we still do a weekly family zoom call as well as few other regular group calls.

Comment

Originally posted by Snake Plissken View Post
          CSV
          Comma-separated values. I just googled it. None the wiser.

Comment

Originally posted by DPDPDPDP View Post
            I still prefer to have all my photos on my laptop and still use an old fashioned back up device. I find they’re easier to edit this way and to sort. I spent lockdown 1 sorting out photos, deleting duplicates and crap photos and sequencing them filing them more logically.

---

we have our 25 and 17 year old kids living with us which in a way is great for resolving problems. However they do this at a 100 miles an hour which means I’ve no clue what they’ve done which means thatI’ve no idea how to fix the problem the next time it happens. When I say “I wanted you to show me how to fix the problem”, that’s normally met with a comment like, “yeah, that would probably take me the rest of my life”
            All of this.

Comment

Originally posted by Sporting View Post

I think that Snake means export it as a .csv file, which is hopefully one of the options that you're presented with when you try to save it.

Comment

Originally posted by Sporting View Post

The word I missed out was "File".

Imagine a table of rows and columns containing values.
                Forename Surname Age Location Active
                Malcolm Reynolds 64 Glasgow Yes
                Inara Serra 38 London Yes
                Hoban Washburne 42 Manchester No
                Jayne Cobb 55 Cardiff Yes
                Kaylee Frye 25 Birmingham Yes
                If you were to save that as a CSV file it would create a text file that looks something like this

Forename,Surname,Age,Location,Active
                Malcolm,Reynolds,64,Glasgow,Yes
                Inara,Serra,38,London,Yes
                Hoban,Washburne,42,Manchester,No
                Jayne,Cobb,55,Cardiff,Yes
                Kaylee,Frye,25,Birmingham,Yes

Each column is saved with a comma separating the value

Comment

Can't be bothered myself.

As an example, I wanted to show a friend a picture of my parent's dog. Even if I'd sorted them into folders, I'd probably still be looking for it now.

Instead I just typed 'dog' into Google Photos and it found every picture in my library with a dog in it. (A few bears too, but not to worry.)

Comment

Originally posted by Stumpy Pepys View Post

Instead I just typed 'dog' into Google Photos and it found every picture in my library with a dog in it. (A few bears too, but not to worry.)
                    That "I'm not a robot" Captcha tech is already a waste of fucking space then.

Comment

The word I missed out was "File".

Imagine a table of rows and columns containing values.
                      Forename Surname Age Location Active
                      Malcolm Reynolds 64 Glasgow Yes
                      Inara Serra 38 London Yes
                      Hoban Washburne 42 Manchester No
                      Jayne Cobb 55 Cardiff Yes
                      Kaylee Frye 25 Birmingham Yes
                      If you were to save that as a CSV file it would create a text file that looks something like this

Forename,Surname,Age,Location,Active
                      Malcolm,Reynolds,64,Glasgow,Yes
                      Inara,Serra,38,London,Yes
                      Hoban,Washburne,42,Manchester,No
                      Jayne,Cobb,55,Cardiff,Yes
                      Kaylee,Frye,25,Birmingham,Yes

Each column is saved with a comma separating the value
                      Only slightly flawed when some person with great ideas manages to embed commas somehow. At which point you do pipe delimited, cos noone uses pipe for anything.

Comment

Originally posted by Eggchaser View Post
                        ...worse still, try and guess the passwords that I haven't entered or altered in the last couple of years.
                        Oh yeah, the number of times I've had to set up new eBay or Amazon accounts or had to ring the bank to reset my details. One of the main reasons I stick with Firefox is that it's got a rather powerful built-in password manager.

And regarding the cloud, it's great if you've got a fast, reliable broadband connection but there's still a lot of people out there for whom that's a pretty big "if".
                        I'm with BT... so no wonder I've got five hard drives with all my media on them on the go!

Comment

Originally posted by caja-dglh View Post

Only slightly flawed when some person with great ideas manages to embed commas somehow. At which point you do pipe delimited, cos noone uses pipe for anything.
                          I'm assuming pipe is | ? Good to know.

Comment

Originally posted by Ginger Yellow View Post

I'm assuming pipe is | ? Good to know.
                            Yup. That one is pipe. I haven't really found it widely used in financial databases (I have run up against tilde a few times).

Comment

Whatever you think of Google, Google Photos is terrific software.
                              Why do you think that?

(That's not as in "Why do you think that because, when you say so, I'm going to hit you with counter-arguments about why I know I'm right and you aren't?", but "Why do you think that because I'm interested?")

Comment

I've had cause to use the pipe symbol in the last few months to enter data like this (which was to tell a system it can accept Banana 01, or Banana 02, or Bananas 01 and 02).
                                Banana 01
                                Banana 02
                                Banana 01|02
                                I'd never really noticed it was just Shift and the key next to Z.

Comment

Without wanting to speak for SP, as the posts above indicate it does a very good, if scary job of effectively autotagging your photos, making it easier to find things later. So, for instance, in the beforetimes I would take photos of bottles of wine I particularly liked at a restaurant/bar so I could remember the name/vintage later to potentially order some more. To find them, I can just type in "wine" and it automatically brings up all of them. It can also do it for activities and places and family members and so on.

Comment

Can't be bothered myself.

As an example, I wanted to show a friend a picture of my parent's dog. Even if I'd sorted them into folders, I'd probably still be looking for it now.

Mmmmm, google photos - I’ll maybe need to look into this.

as for the dog and bear - bugger me, don’t tell me you have a pet bear at home. Are you Grizzly Adams? I remember the Scottish wrestler Andy Robbins had a pet bear for a while - nutter!

Comment

as for the dog and bear - bugger me, don’t tell me you have a pet bear at home. Are you Grizzly Adams? I remember the Scottish wrestler Andy Robbins had a pet bear for a while - nutter!
                                      Nothing so exciting. Some pics from a trip to Yellowstone Park.

Comment

Originally posted by treibeis View Post
                                        Why do you think that?

(That's not as in "Why do you think that because, when you say so, I'm going to hit you with counter-arguments about why I know I'm right and you aren't?", but "Why do you think that because I'm interested?")
                                        As I said, mostly for the search function. It's kind of voodoo. It has some other good features too.

Comment

I'm not that young anymore, but I'm one of those people who just lets Samsung sort out where my photos and apps and passwords are stored between my phone and my tablet - I'm on my third handset and tablet, and each transition seems to get smoother. I guess it means I'm tied to them for life, but I'll be happy with that, unless their products suddenly become difficult to use or expensive.

As far as the Internet of things goes I'm not a fan, I'm not sure why my oven would need a motherboard.
                                          Mrs D is hoarder of the receipt and manual of everything she's ever bought, which comes in handy for serial numbers - a few times I've been able to source a replacement part myself for under a tenner instead of buying a new appliance or paying through the nose for a repairman.

Comment

Thankfully, I do know the password for the email account to which all the password resets are sent, so at least I can change them all.

Comment

I have been on TalkTalk as a legacy of being on AOL previously for ages and, for about `18 months, they have been shit. This has coincided with me having to teach from home during the lockdowns which has been the nightmare you can imagine. A couple of times, I dropped out of my own Zoom lessons leaving kids on their own chatting away. When I spoke to TalkTalk, they said it was external issues and they were getting engineers to sort it out but it never got any better. During the Easter holidays, I finally sat down and had a go at them and they said it was because we weren't on fibre and we should upgrade. I spent 2 hours convincing them to give me - a very loyal customer - the same much better deal they were giving new customers which they finally did. They booked an engineer's appointment for the last Friday of the holiday, the 16th which was great as I was obviously still home. Part of the reason for staying with TalkTalk was that there would be no need for new cables or anything like that but I thought an engineer's visit wouldn't be too painful. The 16th came but no engineer did. I phoned them and they said that it was just a switch over with no engineer needed. A bit odd considering the previous info but I thought fair enough. They also said that the switch over would be the following Wednesday the 21st which, again, didn't seem like an issue. Wednesday came and BT (who provided our line which was also going over to Talk Talk in this switch) cut us off in the morning leaving us with no internet and landline but that wasn't really an issue (unless you asked my son) as Talk Talk were switching later that day. Any time up until midnight it had said. OF course, by the time I went to bed, it still hadn't been switched on. Woke up the next morning and it still wasn't on but couldn't do anything about it before work. I checked my account and the set up date had changed to that day so annoying but still wasn't overly bothered

Then I got a phone call from TalkTalk saying that they had sent an engineer around to switch over that day but no-one was in. I pointed out that, firstly, I had been told we didn't need an engineer and, secondly, it was supposed to have happened the day before when, as it happened, my wife was off work and could have let the engineer in. They said they would rearrange the date...for May 5th. Two fucking weeks later. To add insult to injury, they said the reason they couldn't get an engineer any earlier was because the BT engineers who sorted the line were all booked up. This would be the BT that had just cut me off. After a lot of shouting, my wife took the phone had tried to get them to send someone earlier. The guy then got pissy and said that he had been trying to explain to me for 56 minutes that he couldn't get an engineer and cut her off. Remarkable considering how angry I had been and she was quite calm.

Anyway, as I threatened TalkTalk but fairly reluctantly, I went over to Virgin and they gave me the same date of May 5th. This has left me with no internet, no TV apart from live and not even a landline which really shows me how much it is really the internet of fucking everything for two weeks.

Comment

Bored, you have my sympathies. I had a similar turn-out with Vodafone a couple of years ago and I was offline at home for four months. It wasn't so much the lack of internet that bothered me (I don't depend on it for work); it was more the fact that they talked to me as though I were stupid (and sometimes even a stupid foreigner), simply because I wanted them to provide a service I was paying them to provide.

Hope everything sorts itself out quickly.

Comment

Bitwarden.

You can export your passwords out of LastPass as a CSV and import them into Bitwarden. Did it myself a few weeks ago.
                                                  Definitely Bitwarden, still? Is it really easy to make it work without having to think about it at all, on all my things, my phone and my desktop and my chromebook?

Why not LastPass? Some friends told me to get that.

Comment

They took loads of the features out of the free version of LastPass. And some things that aren't even features, just stuff you need. Like the ability to have passwords on your mobile and computer, with the free version of lastpass you need to pick.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X