Thread for Seeking Travel Advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thread for Seeking Travel Advice

Our tentative revised plans for July and August are fortnights in Puerto Rico and Washington DC respectively, the latter via a car sleeper train from Sanford, FL.

I am wondering on precautions. Is Puerto Rico the same routine as a normal domestic flight? Is D.C. going to be open and, if not, is the trip still worthwhile? I would like to do USHMM and the Library of Congress, for example.

Driving over to NYC, I am wondering if there's anything marking or commemorating the old jazz sites in Harlem and on 52nd Street. There were proposals in the 70s to put down street pavers to mark the sites but I don't know if they bore fruit.

There has yet to be any comprehensive commemoration of Swing Street (or its Harlem equivalent on 133rd)

These maps may be of interest
    https://popspotsnyc.com/jazz_clubs/

DC's public spaces are still largely closed, but I would think that there is a good chance that will change by fall

The Post has been keeping a running tally
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/dc-md...s-coronavirus/

There are other things to do in the District, but the museums have always been the major draw for me

In normal circumstances, Puerto Rico has the same formalities as a standard domestic flight. I wouldn't expect those to change.

Comment

Many thanks. I am also still on the hunt for that Beatles piece at NYPL.

Comment

And I remain on the waiting list to get it for you

Given that the AutoTrain drops you in Lorton, you might consider Old Town Alexandria or Mount Vernon on the way into the district. The former has some outstanding Vietnamese restaurants, as well as being pleasant to explore on foot.
        Last edited by ursus arctos; 06-04-2021, 11:08.

Comment

Many thanks again.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
            And I remain on the waiting list to get it for you

Given that the AutoTrain drops you in Lorton, you might consider Old Town Alexandria or Mount Vernon on the way into the district. The former has some outstanding Vietnamese restaurants, as well as being pleasant to explore on foot.
            My one and only time in Mount Vernon, I ended up in the middle of a shootout. That was back in 95 so hopefully It has improved somewhat.

Comment

Was that the "other" Mount Vernon?

I don't recall a shootout at George Washington's plantation.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                Was that the "other" Mount Vernon?

I don't recall a shootout at George Washington's plantation.
                Ah, I meant New York, north of Harlem

Comment

Working...
                X