Hartlepool by election

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hartlepool by election

Couldn't find a dedicated thread on this, but with "Boriss" still inexplicably popular, and the set to scoop the racist vote from Brexit/Reclaim-Reform/UKIP vote a right cuffing for Labour on the cards?

Almost a 50% plurality?

And wrong forum.

Damn you autofill / lack of attention / whatever

Comment

Moved from wrong forum.

Comment

We've been discussing it on the Starmer thread.

Comment

There's been some discussion on the Keir Starmer thread.

Comment

JINX!

Comment

Worth its own thread though. I hope the NIP get a lot higher than the 2% they're currently polling. They really ought to, based on their policies (the "independence" thing apart).

Comment

I don't see how you discuss issues around the by-election without talking about Labour and Starmer more generally. Unless you want an OTF poll or something.

Comment

It would seem that the NIP is trying to make it something other than a referendum on attitudes towards the current leaders, which may be quixotic in the English context

Comment

Originally posted by Snake Plissken View Post
                    Moved from wrong forum.
                    (Chiz!)

Comment

Originally posted by Evariste Euler Gauss View Post
                      Worth its own thread though. I hope the NIP get a lot higher than the 2% they're currently polling. They really ought to, based on their policies (the "independence" thing apart).
                      Thanks.

Comment

they have a sense of humour, and much better graphics than post Corbyn Labour

https://twitter.com/FreeNorthNow/status/1379499416483205124?s=20

Comment

Started off just drinking beer
                          i kinda thought "What's the point of voting here?"
                          Just a couple more, make me feel a little calmer
                          Believe me when I tell ya, was nothing to do with the Starmer

Whoa, the NIPs are getting bigger

Comment

You're obsessed by that song...

Comment

https://twitter.com/Survation/status/1389457465641742339

As in the Thatcher era, the Tories as the new working-class party?

Comment

Originally posted by Discordant Resonance View Post
                                https://twitter.com/Survation/status/1389457465641742339

As in the Thatcher era, the Tories as the new working-class party?
                                They weren't then either.

Working-class is now being redefined to mean "elderly pensioners who own their own homes."

Comment

Yeah, people have some ludicrous ideas of what "class" is. Absolutely ludicrous.

Comment

I don't think people identify with a party on the basis of their own perceived class. The Tory rhetoric around Brexit has been the vote winner of late.

Comment

I thought we all defined class by deciding which one we were, and then drawing the boundaries around the definition by which we were proved right.

Comment

They've getting to Corbyn blaming narrative out there, despite getting nearly 60% of the vote under him in 2017.

Labour voters left because they got ignored, and they aren't coming back because the people they are being asked to vote for shat on them and the brand for four years.

Comment

It's an indicator of how Abso. Lutely. Fuck. Ing. Useless. Starmer is that he cannot lead his party to a by-election win against the most corrupt, ineffective clownish Prime Minister every. A man whose main tactic is to pull goofy faces and waffle like Tim Nicebutdim.

Comment

NIP candidate Thelma Walker is my former Labour MP and she's not a nut job, nor is she particularly controversial or a radical left winger - she's pretty much a regular Labour politician who decided she'd had enough of what the party had become.

I'd vote for her if she was standing here.

As discussed briefly on the local election thread, should Tracey Brabin win the West Yorkshire mayor gig, the ensuing Batley and Spen by-election has potential to be even more humiliating for Labour - her majority is just 3,500.

Comment

Labour are obviously going to lose this, depressingly, and the internet will buckle under the weight of "This result proves all my analysis is correct" sanctimony throughout the weekend

Comment

Labours vote went UP in Hartlepool under Corbyn in 2017

Labour retained the seat, with UKIP's vote falling by 17 points and Labour's rising by 17 points. This gave Labour their biggest total vote and popular vote majority in Hartlepool since 2001.

it was previously the 35th most vulnerable seat in the country.

Acknowledging this fact would mean recognising that Corbyn did pretty well in 2017 both because of his Brexit stance and the fact that the policies were Incredibly popular.

Now they have no policies to speak of and no one believes Starmer on Brexit.

Sadly the centrist commentators have such a vested interest in not ever saying anything positive about Corbin or the left that they will continue to talk nonsensical bollocks even as it destroys the Labour Party which they claim to believe in.

When they were by-elections under Corbyn, hundreds if not thousands of people, would be ready to travel to Hartlepool from nearby Labour strongholds- student and activists from big cities gave up their weekends or spent ages phone banking- I did it myself.

Not only have they pissed off the voters and most of their activists but they really don’t seem to have a clue how to go further- except of course to speculate on how to smash the left up even more. jwd's point about Thelma Walker is a really good one. Not left, just knowing what policies play in the place she lives. Thelma is a Northern woman -former headteacher I believe.

You have also to remember that labour lost places like Wakefield as the King’s Cross MPs ( like Mary Creagh) spend as little time in their constituency as possible. They can’t wait to get back to their main residence in Islington (where she was a councillor until she got the Wakefield gig.)

Closing our local talent in the favour of Carpetbagger MPs I’ve been disastrous. And most of their seats are now vulnerable-I saw Yvonne Cooper and Ed Miliband are both thought to be up at risk.

Starmer had a broad alliance in his hand- he had a base of popular policies, and activists who were understanding how to work together, who were producing excellent campiagn material in videos and graphics. Instead he has worked with the very worst of the old guard to attack the left. I see very bad times for a long time to come.
                                                Last edited by Nefertiti2; 04-05-2021, 16:54.

Comment

Hartlepool has its distinctive particular ecology but this piece hints at a broader, deeper problem suggested by Nef too - alienation of the campaigning base, as well as a financial crisis as Corbyn's small donors withdraw in disgust. https://www.theguardian.com/politics...ool-byelection

Comment

Working...
                                                  X