Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Champions dinner

Rogin the Armchair fan in a sports thread:

Dustin Johnson, for his Champion's dinner, has gone with pigs in blankets and lobster and corn fritters (as appetizers), followed by a starter of caesar salad, then filet mignon or miso-marinated sea bass with mashed spuds, followed by peach cobbler or apple pie and ice cream.

Here's a history of past menus:

https://www.todaysgolfer.co.uk/news-...s-dinner-menu/

I particulary fancy this one:

Vijay Singh, 2001: Seafood tom kah, chicken panang curry, baked sea scallops with garlic sauce, rack of lamb with yellow kari sauce, baked filet Chilean sea bass with three flavor chili sauce, lychee sorbet.

If....what would you choose to be on the menu?

I'd need to find some way of having the sea bass (or cod) fillet WITH pigs in blankets. That could work, yeah?

Maybe these as a starter - fish in blankets

https://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/w...nd_bacon_30891
    Last edited by Rogin the Armchair fan; 05-04-2021, 08:36.

Comment

Shepherd's pie.

Comment

I would think that one would want to be careful about sourcing the pigs in blankets, as the local versions of both key ingredients are at best uninspiring.

Comment

Some of the nicest main courses I've ever eaten involved roast pork fillet and some kind of sticky fruity glaze/sauce - cherry, or honey and cider - so that would be my main. With those potatoes that are sort of fries but like poker chip shaped wedges.
          Last edited by Rogin the Armchair fan; 05-04-2021, 14:28.

Comment

Sounds like a particularly good choice if many of your principal rivals are in attendance

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
              Sounds like a particularly good choice if many of your principal rivals are in attendance
              You think it would give them all the shits?

Comment

No golfers are vegetarian?

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
                  No golfers are vegetarian?
                  Oh sorry, I put that in as satire.

Comment

Some day I would love to recreate the meal I used to eat at a Yunnanese restaurant in Chongqing. We went there once with a Chinese friend who ordered off the specials menu for the day. Then whenever we went back I would take about fifteen minutes describing the dishes we'd eaten in Mandarin. I didn't know their official names (Chinese dishes are often called something unrelated like 'lucky three dragon') and they never appeared on the specials, or standard, menu again but always happily cooked it for us.

We ordered more than this but the dishes I particularly remember were:
                    A sort of baked mashed potato dish with sheep's cheese and chillies. Wild mushrooms in latticed yellow pastry with a fantastic peppery sauce
                    Raw crudit?s with a selection of delicious dips (I probably wouldn't usually find this so amazing but at the time there was nowhere else I could order salad apart from the pizza hut buffet).

But a favourites meal for me would probably include more Thai food. Definitely a Thai yellow curry with potatoes and tofu and cashew nuts. Probably a coconut pineapple rice cooked in half a pineapple. Maybe sweetcorn cakes with sweet chilli sauce.

Comment

This is a similar exercise to choosing the last meal that you would request on Death Row. I'm struggling to decide which occasion I'd least like to attend.

Comment

I'll point out that this changes day by day... but right now

I'd start with a version of a panzanella salad, but I'd throw in some fruit - possibly char-grilled (or maybe fried in a pan with a tiny by of sugar to get a glaze) peaches - and some burrata

Then it would be a neapolitan wood fired pizza, probably with olives and some spicy salami (without salami for the vegetarians, making it easy for the caterers)

Maybe finishing off with a passion fruit tart of some sort - maybe like a key lime pie? Or a tarte tatin? - served with a massive dollop of clotted cream.

Comment

Do you have to eat with a load of golfers? If so, then something really quick. A biscuit, maybe.

Comment

My kids are always asking the favourite meal question so this is easy.

I'd start with antipasto, but mainly the non-meat components, olives, roast peppers, mushrooms and so on.

Main would be a fish curry, probably a masala, with lemon rice and a small peshwari naan.

Dessert would have to be citrusy. A key lime pie if I had any room left or a lemon sorbet if not.

I'd have a couple of glasses of a crisp white wine with it. If I was being particularly greedy, I'd probably try to sneak a mango lassi in at some point.

Comment

I would have pineapple pizza for starters, fish with red wine for the main, and jaffa cakes as the cake to follow. Hopefully half my rivals would kill each other arguing, so I get to win.

Comment

Pineapple pizza! I hope you don't know any Italians.

Comment

Originally posted by Rogin the Armchair fan View Post

Oh sorry, I put that in as satire.
                                  It could be misread as dodgy by people who don't know your posting history.

Comment

I hope they all have to eat this directly before 'taking the tee'.

Comment

On most golf courses you're probably getting a fried sampler platter of jalapeno poppers, onion rings and mozzarella sticks as your appetizers. A hot dog as your starter. A soggy club sandwich as your main. And a granola bar for dessert. And to drink you're offered a range of bad mass-market American beer and alcoholic seltzers plus, if you're lucky, one choice of "craft" IPA.

Comment

I’d give the budget for the meal to a local food charity and tell all the rich bastards to do the same instead of expecting a free dinner.

Comment

Alcoholic seltzers sound really nasty.

Comment

Originally posted by Lang Spoon View Post
                                            I think there was something in the paper at the weekend about these being the next big thing in the UK. I don't think I know any more about them now than I did before I read the article.

Comment

Originally posted by Capybara View Post
                                              I think there was something in the paper at the weekend about these being the next big thing in the UK. I don't think I know any more about them now than I did before I read the article.

Sparkling water with added alcohol and flavouring. Sounds like booze for the calorie-counters.

Comment

The advertising blitz over here has been relentless.

Some of the branding (Bud Light Seltzer, for example) is completely perplexing.

The margins must be huge.

Comment

Originally posted by Lang Spoon View Post
                                                  I think the lack of appeal partly comes from only knowing "seltzer" from Alka-Seltzer rather than as a wider name for soda water.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X