Housework Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Housework Thread

Aka Housewives/Slaves and downtrodden male simps thread.

Split off from the Covid Vaccination thread where Rogin alluded to his minimal housework. I can imagine he was typing in lounging on his couch and slowly rasing his feet as the Mrs feverishly hoovers around him before she goes to clean the grout in bathroom with a toothbrush.

As Frank Lucas said to Nicky Barnes in American Gangster, My Maaan.

More seriously, how much housework a day do most people do on OTF or are cleaners employed?

BTW sporting the fridge is easy work, it's the three ovens and coffee maker that lkeep me busy, Gat building stuff.

I cook lunch and dinner every day, hoover and dust the living room/kitchen, stairs and hall once a week. Herself does the clothes washing and weekly bathroom/bedroom cleaning, we both wash the dishes, but mostly her. I do the pottering around our stamp sized garden.
    Last edited by Lang Spoon; 04-04-2021, 21:23.

Comment

Tell you what, my.workload has dropped off since we started having the kitchen done and the cub went back to school.
      I'm on gruel, so basically no washing up. P is eating from a meal delivery thing that does nice calorie controlled food you can microwave. And the cub eats at school mainly. And we're using recyclable plates and cutlery as we don't have a sink.
      And because we have no washing machine, I'm using a washing service. They collect it all one day and return it clean and dry the next.
      And we've got builders around so I can't do garden chores or DIY, and now we've given our cleaner 6 months paid leave (she's not well, so we couldn't have her risking her health getting to our gaff just to clean it on the rare occasions she was well enough to do so) so we've got a cleaning service who actually make it every week, so I don't have to clean either.
      I feel like fucking royalty.

Comment

Comment

She does most, but not all, the cooking. I do most of the washing up, and all the dishwasher tasks. I do the lumping of laundry in machines. She folds. I do the trash. A two-weekly cleaner does the actual cleaning. I'm probably doing 30 minutes to an hour each day.

Housework sucks, but a house where it's not done is much worse.

Comment

I probably do an hour each weekday (usually dishwasher and laundry) and much, much more at weekends (maybe average 4-5 hours a day). My husband mostly cooks during the week, I cook more at weekends. I do all of the sorting, folding and putting away of the clothes, and more of the changing of bedsheets. Husband does more hoovering and cleaning bathroom and toilet. I'm more likely to clean the kitchen and mop the floors. Children very occasionally help with putting away laundry / tidying / helping in the garden, but more often they'll be busy trashing one room while we're cleaning another. Before Covid-19 we had cleaners once a week, but they chose to go on furlough straight away as they have contact with someone with a compromised immune system, and with us all at home all the time, we just never got round to organising any other cleaners. My husband has been on furlough for a while doing more housework than me during the week, but his work is picking back up again. If we end up both working full time we'll get a cleaner again.

Comment

Nice Picture Hobbes, remonds me of when i was doing up my gaff.

I can see you put in two RSJ's there, did you knock through any walls and what are the temporary central supports there for, more RSJ's?

Comment

And we tend to take it in turn with the garden. We do nothing in winter, but starting from about this time of year we have two lawns to mow and various hedges and buddleias to wage continual war on.

Husband does everything DIY related, including fixing electrical machines, gluing broken mugs, painting things, etc.

Husband cleans out the fish tank and waters all the plants.

I'm more likely to chivvy the kids into tidying their bedrooms / end up tidying most of it myself. I go through all belongings that people have grown out of or don't need any more and organise delivery to charity shops.

We take it in turns to do online shopping and put the shopping away and clean the fridge / defrost the freezer.

Comment

I also do all the post opening, and associated filing and shredding.

Husband bakes bread, makes home-made juice and cakes.

I'm more likely to deal with the bins.
                  ​​​​​

Comment

I find its less the work part of it that's hard. It's the mental side of running a house. The appointments and booking a boiler service or managing the builders and all those decisions, the planning when to mow the lawn, the when does the washing have to be dry by so it's not in the way of the cleaners, the Holiday childcare organisation, the paying the cleaners and the after school club and doing the weekly shop and knowing what to buy and what we're out of, and when karate is and is there a swimming lesson this week and who's dropping off and who's picking up and does the cub have enough socks and is his water bottle packed etc.etc.
                    P works very hard - much harder than I do and as.such I've always done pretty much everything. And that's fine, it's my choice. But pushing a hoover or wiping out a microwave is a piece of piss. Put in headphones and have at.it.
                    It's the admin. Ye gods there's so much admin.

Comment

So when someone claims that they only do an hour's housework a month, I don't really understand how. Do they have a slave? Do they only eat pot noodles and never wash their clothes and live in an increasingly large pile of empty pot noodles? I mean, how is it possible?

Comment

Originally posted by Tactical Genius View Post
                        Nice Picture Hobbes, remonds me of when i was doing up my gaff.

I can see you put in two RSJ's there, did you knock through any walls and what are the temporary central supports there for, more RSJ's?
                        We're making the kitchen wider and longer so it'll be about 2.5 times its original size. So the steels are there to stop the house falling in when we.take the back and side off.
                        The strong boys and acros are there while the steels settle onto the bearers and the mortar sets.
                        Although we.need to weld a bit more steel (400mm) on as the engineer forgot to add a change to the plans we'd agreed a year ago.

Comment

Oh yeah, the admin. I do most of that. Though husband did virtually all the last round of home schooling and now does much more of the finding water bottles and PE kits and things for show and share in the morning.

He also plaits our daughter's three foot long hair. It's strange but I don't know many other dads who do that.

Comment

I fucking hate housework.

Dishwashers are ace. I love ours. (We didn't have one for the first 20+ years we lived in this house)

Balderdasha buddlieas are the plant progeny of Satan. I did manage to kill off one despite its best attempts to respawn. Let me know if you need tips.

Comment

The extra bit...
                              Sticks out about 2 metres off the back and 2 metres off the side most of the way along the side return.

Comment

Nice Hobbes, you didn't fancy opening up the whole back with some Bifolds instead of a window or would the orientation not allow it?

Comment

The inexorable march of buddliea is a good marker of the decline of Britain's towns and cities. It sinks my soul when I see it nesting in the upper storeys of neglected Glasgow tenements and commercial beauties. My hometown is under a plague of it as buy to let scumlords let their properties rot.

The Victorian landowner bastard that first imported it in his ornamental garden, even worse than the prick that brought in grey squirrels.

Comment

Originally posted by Balderdasha View Post
                                    So when someone claims that they only do an hour's housework a month, I don't really understand how. Do they have a slave? Do they only eat pot noodles and never wash their clothes and live in an increasingly large pile of empty pot noodles? I mean, how is it possible?
                                    They eat in restaurants, have a cleaner, no young children and a small, dirty house.

Comment

You see how great OTF is, I bet you appreciate your husband more and more every day.
                                      Imagine being married to me with all my toxic masculinity or Rogin with his victorian views on male housework

Comment

First off, we have two working adults, two teens and two cats, so the place is a tip.

I vacuum, we both cook and do dishes, the kids get badgered into helping clean bathrooms, I sweep, she turns the beds, I do the outside stuff, she washes the clothes and I do the folding. It looks pretty equal on paper, but she does more.

Comment

Oh, and I've offered her a cleaner about 50 times and she won't even discuss it.

Comment

I suspect that Rogin the Armchair fan was joking but I'll leave him to confirm or deny and then defend his position if it's the latter.

Never had a cleaner. I wash my clothes and occasionally other family members' items if I'm in a charitable mood, plus towels and the like, cook dinner each night, put the rubbish and recycling out, load and unload the dishwasher and do almost all of the vacuuming, dusting and general cleaning. Plus occasional general tidying and sorting and grocery runs when required.

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisJ View Post

They eat in restaurants, have a cleaner, no young children and a small, dirty house.
                                              I lived alone in a flat in China for two years, never cleaned it and ate out for every lunch and dinner time, but even washing my clothes and bedding and breakfast bowls took more than an hour a month.

Comment

Originally posted by Tactical Genius View Post
                                                Nice Hobbes, you didn't fancy opening up the whole back with some Bifolds instead of a window or would the orientation not allow it?
                                                We wouldn't have had enough wall space for actual kitchen if we'd done that on the extension. And we didn't want to go the whole way along as we have a really nice terrace and we didn't want to lose it. There's a big sliding door out from the living room onto the terrace though. The big window is going to be a bifold and the kitchen counter is going to extend outside so there's a sort of outdoor bar/breakfast bar where you can sit at the window with a drink while someone is in the kitchen cooking etc. Very roughly like this...

Comment

He also plaits our daughter's three foot long hair. It's strange but I don't know many other dads who do that.
                                                  My daughter has assured me (multiple times) that my skills in plaiting and braiding are "terrible".

Comment

Working...
                                                  X